Government statistics - money supply, inflation, GDP, unemployment

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Government tweaks the formulas for calculating their metrics so it's difficult to compare current indices against historical data. Fortunately John Williams (not the music composer) compiles the stats using the original/traditional formulas:

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

Money Supply

Inflation

Unemployment

GDP
The SGS-Alternate GDP reflects the inflation-adjusted, or real, year-to-year GDP change, adjusted for distortions in government inflation usage and methodological changes that have resulted in a built-in upside bias to official reporting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-10/thanksgiving-meal-cost-jumps-13-.html

13% inflation in the Thanksgiving Day meal cost index mirrors very closely the SGS Alternate figure.

The government has various reasons to want to cook their books, and being humans, they succumb to temptation quite readily.

For one thing, negative news be very self-fulfilling, as in "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". There's a long record of that one.

Further, their entitlement payouts are determined by the cost of living they compute, and admitting it's bad would mean more payouts from a government that already has money problems. So you can count on their numbers being more or less baloney.

I noticed the food issue awhile back, as I'm the shopper and the chef here. It's one reason I pulled my food demand forward and built up a food stash. It's an investment! It's doing a lot better than the markets as a whole, after all, and this way I have a big stash of food locked in - same idea and motivation as holding a PM in phyzz form.

Also, when you start thinking like that, those deals at the store of "get a case at a big discount" no longer seem so stupid...though the fact that the portions in the packing tend to be too big is a pain - you want to be selective doing that.

Bwahahahahaa:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...anging-definition-gdp-officially-jumped-shark

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the sheer audacity of them all. Classic.

Ho Ho Ho (pun intended):
More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...oost-60879-prostitutes-x-25-clients-week-x-£6

the value to the UK economy of sex work and drug dealing trades make roughly the same contribution as farming .........

Arent farmers part of the drug trade ?

Perhaps they need more hoes (-;

The brilliant part of it is that there are components now which are pure "guesses". They can make up whatever numbers they want for those line items. Makes it easy to massage the final result as desired.

Dont shadowstats look at non gov commercial activity to try and assess real economic activity ? The stuff that creats real jobs and pays tax to support all the gov created non activity

Putting black market activity into the numbers game, kind of, makes sense though because its an attempt at working out real unemployment.

I am informed that a lot of young people in spain have black economy jobs and that the real youth unemployment figures are not as bad as we are told ....

Dont shadowstats look at non gov commercial activity to try and assess real economic activity ? ....

See first post. Mr. Williams uses the same criteria/formula that the government used decades ago.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…