Greece's barter economy - a sign of things to come?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/16/greece-on-breadline-cashless-currency?newsfeed=true

Clearly, such a terrorist network needs to be shut down by the internet police. /sarc

Not sure I'd call that a barter situation exactly - looks like they just created their own currency instead, somewhat less personal. Cool, though. It's hard to expand pure barter past a certain size. This would run into issues too when it got big, but it should work as long as all the participants kind of agree on what constitutes one "tem".

And, if everybody agrees on some central repository of them. What would you do if some complete stranger comes to you and claims they have X "favors" owed them?

So you need some network of trust here. I've got to get Liars and Outliers I suppose to get Bruce's take on that.

Yes, barter networks usually create their own currency, so they can limit it's use to the network. In times of economic chaos, this is actually a good idea. Take e.g. bank holidays, a hyperinflation or some kind of economic martial law. When the ordinary methods of trade aren't available/severely restricted, people tend to develop alternative methods.
A pure barter economy without any medium of exchange is hard to imagine on a large scale - as you already said. However, modern means of communication could make barter a little more attractive: It's biggest disadvantage to money based trade (purchase) is information inefficiency, i.e. you have to find a bartering partner and a "price" (exchange ratio). With the internet, this problem has significantly shrunk.

* bump *

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...ternative-currencies-parliament-votes-bailout

Glad you bumped the thread. That video about Greece towns using barter and alternative currency is very interesting.

If a store owner accepts these TEMs as payment for goods, how does he pay his venders to restock?

If a store owner accepts these TEMs as payment for goods, how does he pay his venders to restock?

I would have liked a more in depth story too. Personally I wasn't keen on the idea that everything is stored on a computer to keep track of who has what. Couple of problems with that, what happens if the computer gets fried, or the power goes out? Also the guy with the computer is wielding a LOT of power in that town, and what if someone else steals the computer? Still thought it was an interesting story though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…