Hows your weather?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It’s 11 degrees above zero. We got up to the lake house after it snowed 18” on Friday and the power was out. We immediately went to town for some dry firewood, 40% off candles and started up the Franklin stove in the three season porch. The porch has a sofa bed and we can cook on the wood stove. We set our phone alarm for every hour and a half and kept feeding the fire to get the house temp in the sixties. Power came back on after 3 days. The whole house generator has moved up the priority list. From the winter wonderland....Agave. Can’t add a photo because it’s too large.

Last edited:
It’s 11 degrees above zero. We got up to the lake house after it snowed 18” on Friday and the power was out. We immediately went to town for some dry firewood, 40% off candles and started up the Franklin stove in the three season porch. The porch has a sofa bed and we can cook on the wood stove. We set our phone alarm for every hour and a half and kept feeding the fire to get the house temp in the sixties. Power came back on after 3 days. The whole house generator has moved up the priority list. From the winter wonderland....Agave. Can’t add a photo because it’s too large.
Can't never did anything

Arctic blast to bring temperatures of 0°F or colder to 55M in U.S., snarl holiday travel

Model projection showing air temperatures on Dec. 23, including single digits down into Texas.
Model projection showing air temperatures on Dec. 23, including single digits down into Texas. Image: PivitolWeather.com

that is where we are , south central eastern Colorado , nothing between us and the north pole

...WIND CHILL WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING
THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Bitterly cold and life threatening wind chills likely.
Wind chill readings as low as 50 degrees below zero.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and northeast Colorado,
northwest and west central Kansas and southwest Nebraska.

Jumped a plane from South Central MT to Ft Lauderdale yesterday. Seems our timing was impeccable. Wind chills of -52F forecast for home. It was 66F when we got to our villa on the beach last night. Looks like we’ll miss the “cold” here, but we’ll be going back home to a deep freeze. We’re having a nice break from winter, anyway.

Just starting to snow here. Not expecting a huge amount. The wind is going to be nuts though over the next couple days. At near the highest point in the county here I expect some big drifts. Going to be real cold as well. 0F right now, 8 degrees warmer than tomorrow's predicted high.

1671652517182.png

heinrich says MANY MORE winter storms to come

-----------------------------------------------

A comparison between the stratospheric vortex of Dec29 (right), 2021 and Dec29, 2022 ( left) shows the current Arctic cyclone is much more active than last year. The Arctic is still accumulating and cooling a lot of air from Oceans leading to many more storms this winter

1671662177534.png

1671662129139.png

more heinrich from above link -- arctic fully loaded for more fun, he's never seen a chart like this

-----------------------------

Current winter storm cold and snow are much more intense than forecast. As NA gets relief by year end, the next wave rolls over Europe by New Year and more waves will follow in Jan/Feb/Mar as the Arctic has stored a gigantic amount of frigid air.

By Dec 25 all of North America is covered by polar air as the center of gravitation of the polar break out shifts from Europe to NA. Most ignore what this means for #natgas demand and supply. I have never seen a chart like this. And I have seen a few winter storms.

1671662387999.png

Hopefully it won't be the "blizzard of the century" like the blizzard of '49.

A friend showed me this very well made documentary (57 minutes) from Wyoming PBS.

Storm of the Century - the Blizzard of '49​

Edit: PBS, but age restricted? lol

Balmy day today...

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 8.12.42 AM.png

Colder than a well-digger's assets!

Hopefully it won't be the "blizzard of the century" like the blizzard of '49.

A friend showed me this very well made documentary (57 minutes) from Wyoming PBS.

Storm of the Century - the Blizzard of '49​

This was back in the day when 'predicting' wasn't such a fine (super computer) art.

I remember 40 years ago when new weathermen on the TV would 'predict' 6 inches of snow to come over night. Next day it would be sunny and no snow. Mountain ranges did funny things to flatlander predictions. Now they have fast computer modeling and have been very accurate in recent (10) years. I miss the good ol' days.... of climate change.

This was back in the day when 'predicting' wasn't such a fine (super computer) art.

I remember 40 years ago when new weathermen on the TV would 'predict' 6 inches of snow to come over night. Next day it would be sunny and no snow. Mountain ranges did funny things to flatlander predictions. Now they have fast computer modeling and have been very accurate in recent (10) years. I miss the good ol' days.... of climate change.
Even so, accurate snowfall predictions for a given spot can be very hard to predict. Relatively small differences in predicted temperature can make a huge difference.

My favorite though is people who say weather prediction is still terrible. You ask them where they get their forecast and they're checking the forecast for Minneapolis even though they live 60+ miles from Minneapolis. I tell them at least check the forecast for your location or it will have the potential to be terribly inaccurate even if they were spot on in their forecast.

US' second largest refinery goes down. it takes a while to get these things going again. maybe they'll have it restarted in time for the next winter bomb thing

About an inch of ice on top of a foot and a half of snow. Raining hard and it sounds like all the drains around here are frozen solid. Lots of localized flooding but it's a great day to stay inside by the fire and drink coffee and bailey's.

View attachment 5046
Ice sux big time........do you have backup power if you need it?....i can deal with 2' of snow its hard to deal with 1" of ice......looks like the ice might be on top of the snow ...thats much better than pre-snow

they lied i revised the number for them see yellow markings LOL1671421010015.jpg

do a little farming and have to work around forecasts for a while and you learn most forecaster's these days look at computer screens instead of the sky and how inaccurate they are .......but yes tech has come a long ways ...being able to see a live radar image on your phone is a great help .....i have gone to bed seeing less than 10% rain chance the next day to wake up to 90% chances and vice versa regularly

do a little farming and have to work around forecasts for a while and you learn most forecaster's these days look at computer screens instead of the sky and how inaccurate they are .......but yes tech has come a long ways ...being able to see a live radar image on your phone is a great help .....i have gone to bed seeing less than 10% rain chance the next day to wake up to 90% chances and vice versa regularly
the weather people took a beating this summer. apparently the relentless weather manipulation/spraying are not in their forecasting models

For cardio this morn I took a walk through the neighborhood. Around 37 F and some snow flurries. Watched a puppy catching the flakes in his mouth. Looks like it could be a good day.

Back
Top Bottom