HSBC Sues MF Global Over Disputed Ownership Of Physical Gold

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
From our friends at zerohedge: :clap:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-...-global-over-disputed-ownership-physical-gold

It´s stunning to me that this is about a few hundred ounces. That´s nothing. Still it seems to be an issue for HSBC.

It's for a damn sight more than that my friend. This is just the first people who are not too embarrassed to come forward. Many others are waiting in the wings and are heavily lawyered up. If every single cent of co-mingled money is not returned to the rightful owners, UK law on hypothecation be damned, the whole system is suspect, and tens of thousands of investors will flee these markets. Naturally, chaos will then reign supreme.

It may just be bias confirmation, but I read the stories about stress in the physical market, COMEX delivery notices / zero vault movements, banks leasing gold at negative interest rates, etc. and I really have to think that they have "fractionally reserved"/re-hypothecated and overleveraged paper claims to real gold so much that the paper claim Ponzi is about to collapse. Even if the COMEX/spot price tumbles to zero, I'm not selling physical metal in my possession. I know that real price discovery is coming and the metals (both gold and silver) are significantly undervalued right now.

Right on Bug. If you can't hold it, you don't own it. I never understood how people could "store" tehir gold "somewhere" and accept a paper receipt thinking all was good. Is that idiotic to anyone besides me?

I have a contract with one of the largest Swiss PM dealers:
I order up to 100 oz (in 100g bars) gold and up to 10000 oz (100 oz bars) silver at spot and he has to deliver within 3 days. I pay a fixed premium of 200 CHF for each delivery.
This is gonna be a wonderful arbitrage trade once premiums for physical explode.

I´ve done the same thing with another dealer back in 2008 with 3000 oz of silver when spot silver was at $ 9.1. The cheapest price for physical silver I would have got in 2008 in Switzerland was about $12.5

This is what Hugo Chavez was worried about and why he is getting Venezuelas gold back to Venezuela. This confirms his concerns about storing gold anywhere that is not in his direct control.

Good point mmerlinn. I'm sure I missed mentioning some other key stories that also play into this suspected narrative.

http://www.goldmoney.com/gold-research/alasdair-macleod/deflating-the-derivatives-balloon.html

That last paragraph packs a wallop. What delicious irony it would be if the suspicions about MF Global being a purposeful take down to save the COMEX ends up breaking JPM's shorts and setting the metals free anyway. What did it buy? A few weeks of time, if that (assuming the COMEX was about to break down due to an inability to make deliveries on November contracts)?

ZH reached the same conclusion as the goldmoney article:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/denia...t-has-not-engaged-commingling-rehypothecation

I just read a ZH article about the start of the denials and justification for re-hypothecating assets. What bothers me is that the denial was really an admission to the practice, even going as far as to point it out in their last financial reporting.

We are so completely fucked.

As far as the COMEX thing, I have no doubt this was done to cover problems on the exchange. Perhaps this was precipitated because too many of those pesky longs wanted their real, physical silver, and JPM only had paper pretend silver [SLV receipts].

We'll see.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…