I Tried Selling My Silver In Budapest: Big Mistake!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

I Tried Selling My Silver In Budapest: Big Mistake!​

10:10

Sep 27, 2023
I tried selling my U.S. 90% silver coins in Budapest Hungary, but I ran into some problems. Not all coin dealers want US coins because it is hard to sell. Follow along as I try to sell my 90% silver Washington Quarters. Some people call them Junk Silver, while others call them Constitutional Silver. Do gold dealers in Budapest Hungary know or even care about them? How much below the silver spot price are the gold and silver dealers going to offer me?

The price of silver was about $24.04 US Dollars per ounce when I was trying to sell these coins. The melt value for these 25 coins in US Dollars was $4.30 each. With the Hungarian Forint trading at 354 to the US Dollar, the silver coins were worth about 38,177 Forints.

They want these instead:

I also wouldn't try to sell any Mexican pesos or Libertads over there either.

Coin shops sell what they have a market for.

Buyers there don't know or care when/why American coins stopped containing silver.

Since buyers don't want them, coin shops don't want them.

I Tried Selling My U.S. Silver Coins In Egypt: Then THIS Happened !​

Oct 12, 2023

13:29

I tried selling my U.S. 90% silver coins in Cairo Egypt, but I ran into some problems. Not all coin dealers want US coins because it is hard to sell. Follow along as I try to sell my 90% silver Franklin Half Dollars. Some people call them Junk Silver, while others call them Constitutional Silver. Do gold dealers in Cairo Egypt know or even care about them? How much below the silver spot price are the gold and silver dealers going to offer me? What I didn't know about the currency in Egypt made my deal a lot worse than I thought it was.

The price of silver was about $24.04 US Dollars per ounce when I was trying to sell these coins. The melt value for these 10 coins in US Dollars was $8.60 each. With the Egyptian Pound (EGP) trading at 31 to the US Dollar, the silver coins were worth about 2660 Egyptian Pounds.

I Tried Selling My Silver Coins In Athens Greece: How Much Did I Lose?​

3:41

I tried selling my U.S. 90% silver coins in Athens Greece. Not all coin dealers want US coins because it is hard to sell. I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to sell my silver Washington Quarters at the first coin dealer I tried. How much below the silver spot did the gold and silver dealer offer me?
The price of silver was about $24.60 US Dollars per ounce when I was trying to sell these coins. The melt value for these 25 silver coins in US Dollars was $4.45 each. With the Euro trading around 1.09 to the US Dollar, the 25 silver coins were worth about 102 Euros in total.

I Tried Selling My U.S. Silver Coins In Frankfurt Germany - I Wasn't Expecting THIS!​

Nov 4, 2023

9:23

I tried selling my U.S. 90% silver coins in Frankfurt Germany, but I ran into some problems. Not all foreign coin dealers want US coins because they are hard to sell. Follow along as I try to sell my Washington 90% Silver Quarter coins. How much below the silver spot price are the gold and silver dealers going to offer me?
The price of silver was about $23 US Dollars per ounce when I was trying to sell these coins. The melt value for these 25 coins in US Dollars was $4.16 each. With the US Dollar trading around 1.07 to the Euro, the 25 Washington Silver Quarters were worth about $104 or 97 Euros. See how much I am offered for them.

tenor.gif

Testing Gold and Silver Prices in Little India, NYC - Surprising Results!​

Jan 13, 2024
I tried selling my 1 ounce gold bar and silver coins in Little India NYC, but I ran into some problems. One dealer who had a sign saying they buy silver and gold told me they did not buy silver and gold. I tried to see how much I can sell my 1 ounce gold Johnson Matthey bar for along with my 10 American Silver Eagles and my 10 Morgan Silver Dollars.
How much below the silver and gold spot price are the gold and silver dealers going to offer me?
The price of silver was about $22.79 per ounce and the gold price was $2028 per ounce when I was trying to sell these coins.

9:33

I Tried to SELL 100 GOLD COINS to Coin Shops... Here's What They Said!​

Feb 7, 2024
I called Local Coin Shops all over the U.S. to try and sell 100 Gold Eagles to them! The offer that I got varied from Shop to Shop, with some being great and others... well, you'll have to listen!

12:08

It all depends on his business model. Maybe some shops would rather make a lot on a little, than a little on a quantity.

Maybe the lowball buyers figured it's a desperation sale, and wanted to twist the knife. Life is hard; and, remember the whole banking industry started with slimy goldsmiths.

Back
Top Bottom