Important Installed mod: media sites

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
I installed a new mod to the forum this morning:
This add-on contains the definitions for 132 media sites: 8tracks, 247Sports, ABC News, Acast, Amazon Product, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Audioboom, Audiomack, Audius, Bandcamp, BBC News, Bit Chute, Bleacher Report videos, Brightcove, Castos, CBS News Video, Clyp, CNBC, CNN, CNNMoney, CodePen, Comedy Central, Coub, Dailymotion, Democracy Now!, dumpert, ESPN, Facebook, Falstad Circuit Simulator, Flickr, Fox News, Funny or Die, GameClips.io, Gamer DVR, Gamespot, Getty Images, Gfycat, Gifs.com, GIPHY, GitHub Gist, Global News, GoFundMe, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google+, Hudl, Hulu, IGN, IMDb trailers, Imgur, Indiegogo, Instagram, Internet Archive, İzlesene, JSFiddle, JW Platform, Kaltura, Kickstarter, Kontinental Hockey League (КХЛ), Libsyn, Liveleak, Livestream, Mail.Ru, Medium, Megaphone, Metacafe, Mixcloud, MLB, MRCTV, MSNBC, MyDailyFreedom, National Geographic Channel, National Geographic Video, NBC News, NBC Sports, NHL Videos and Highlights, NPR, Odysee, Orfium, Pastebin, Pinterest, Podbean, Prezi, Reddit threads and comments, Rumble, Rutube, Scribd, Sendvid, SlideShare, SoundCloud, Sporcle, Sportsnet, Spotify, Spreaker, Steam store, Stitcher, Straw Poll, Streamable, Streamja, Team Coco, TED Talks, Telegram, The Atlantic Video, The Guardian (obsolete), The New York Times Video, The Onion, The Wall Street Journal Online, TikTok, TMZ, TradingView, Trailer Addict, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter, Ustream, VBOX7, Veoh, Vevo, Video Detective, Vimeo, Vine, VK, Vocaroo, Vox, Washington Post Video, Wavekit, Wistia, WorldStarHipHop, Youku, YouMaker, YouTube.
The mod is supposed to improve the way media (such as tweets and youtube videos) load when you view threads/posts here on PMBug. I have not used this mod before, so I don't know exactly what to expect, but I figured we could try it for a while and see if it makes life better or not. Let me know if you like it or if it causes any issues.

I see where pages (threads) load fast and don't bounce around now as media gets loaded. Embedded Youtube are loaded very fast. I'm see white space where tweets are supposed to load, but I'm not seeing the tweets actually load yet. I don't know if it's a caching issue that will get sorted or not. I'll ask the mod developer about it.

This mod has a configuration option (I just enabled it) to embed youtube videos using "enhanced privacy mode":
The Privacy Enhanced Mode of the YouTube embedded player prevents the use of views of embedded YouTube content from influencing the viewer’s browsing experience on YouTube. This means that the view of a video shown in the Privacy Enhanced Mode of the embedded player will not be used to personalize the YouTube browsing experience, either within your Privacy Enhanced Mode embedded player or in the viewer’s subsequent YouTube viewing experience.

If ads are served on a video shown in the Privacy Enhanced Mode of the embedded player, those ads will likewise be non-personalized. In addition, the view of a video shown in the Privacy Enhanced Mode of the embedded player will not be used to personalize advertising shown to the viewer outside of your site or app.

If you use NoScript, like I do, you will need to trust javascript from youtube-nocookie.com to see embedded youtube videos.

hey Bug

I can no longer access the news page .....
Likely nothing to do with your recent tinkering and my old systems not keeping up
but if I dont tell you and it is fixable at your end, I dont get easy access to all those links

Thanks for everything
Rbl

* bump *

I just finished updating the media script. The developer for this script is very active. In the last four months since I first installed it, he rolled out 10-15 updates including enhancements to the way the script handles embeds from Amazon, Tumblr, YouTube, Mastadon and others.

Everything should work as expected, but please let me know if you notice something wonky in the way embedded media behaves now.

I updated the media mod this morning. This update supposedly added support for embedding (Meta's) Threads.

I updated the media mod this morning. Among other things, the update adds support for embedding tweets on the x.com domain.

I updated the media mod this morning hoping that it would fix the Facebook Reel embedding in @Unca Walt 's post: https://www.pmbug.com/threads/talk-about-a-girl-dying-in-her-heels-snicker.6299/

But it didn't work. The developer of the media mod says that Facebook has been inconsistent in their support for this up to now. Maybe they will fix it in the future.

Edit: It works on some browsers and not on others - it could be a browser extension interfering or Facebook just not playing nice.

Last edited:
Jeez. The Faceplant people are living proof evolution can go in reverse.

I updated the media mod this morning. This update is supposed to incorporate "a number of performance and quality of life improvements for the lazy loader". Hopefully, that means pmbug pages that have a lot of tweets or videos in them load faster now (the page itself, not necessarily the tweets/videos/embedded content).

I updated the media mod this morning. This update fixed some bugs, cleaned up some code, changed the handling of amazon.com links (amazon stopped supporting image/product embeds) and added truthsocial.com.

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
Back
Top Bottom