Japan

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
What if Japan runs into trouble? They are to large to be bailed out:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/06/us-japan-economy-azumi-idUSBRE86501O20120706

Similar to U.S. debt ceiling fights:
"Japan's government could run out of money by the end of October, halting all state spending including salaries, pensions and unemployment benefits, because of a standoff in parliament that has blocked a bill to finance the deficit."

"Japan already has the world's largest debt burden at nearly twice the size of its $5 trillion economy, and a breakdown in fiscal spending could increase skepticism that politicians are losing their grip on public finances."

:popcorn:

Their central bank has been employing CTRL+P for a while now. I expect it to continue.

Japan is somewhat different in that the lions share of their debt is held by the people of Japan. When they default, it will be on their own.

Well, I understand Kyle Bass is betting big on a Japan crash, and he has convincing numbers, but...it's not happening yet.

I expect the real troubles as more and more of their population retires and starts selling those bonds. When they have to face the "real" market, their rates are going to be sky high, and that's when the real crash comes. Or just after if they just monetize their debt by pure printing.

Demographics is highly predictive that something will happen +/- some years, but it doesn't indicate very well just when the tipping point happens - makes it hard to know when to place your bets.

My impression ("anecdotal data point" if you will) when I was in Osaka a few days last May was that the Japanese are kind-of giving up. I had some nice long chats with our supplier there. He told me that the kids no longer bust their butts studying... Fukushima also still glows... Maybe it was just me, but there seemed to be an air of resignation.

He was able to keep his bearing plant running though this summer, apparently did not suffer big brownouts.

I feel for the guy though (the president of our bearing supplier there). His is a family company, and his only kid is just 9 years old and so is a LONG way from being able to manage a manufacturing and export company.

The global economy took another turn for the worse as Japan plunged into recession following two consecutive quarters of growth.

Please consider Japan’s economy shrinks annualized 3.5%.
Japan’s economy shrank an annualised 3.5 per cent between July and September, the steepest decline since the earthquake-hit first quarter of 2011, as exporters suffered big falls in shipments to key markets such as China and Europe.

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda described the gross domestic product figures as “severe”, while Seiji Maehara, economy minister, said Japan had possibly entered a “recessionary phase”.

In a speech on Monday, Masaaki Shirakawa, Bank of Japan governor, said there was “no question that the [central bank] should exert every effort to enhance its easing effects as much as possible”. He said domestic demand was “unlikely to increase at a pace that will outperform the weakness in exports”.
As my friend John Mauldin suggests, Japan is a bug in search of a windshield. I highly doubt Japan can make it 2022 or even 2017 before it runs into serious issues.

Actually, Japan has extremely serious issues already, it's just that the market is ignoring them for now. If interest rates rise by a mere 2% or so, interest on the national debt will consume 100% of Japanese tax revenue.

Global imbalances are mounting. I suspect within the next couple of years (if not 2013) Japan will resort to the printing press to finance interest on its national debt and the Japanese central bank will start a major currency way with all its trading partners to force down the value of the yen.

More: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/11/japan-plunges-into-deep-recession-gdp.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/prepare-seismic-shift-japans-politics-104347347.html

"Abe said Thursday that he wants the Bank of Japan (BoJ) to bring interest rates down to zero, or even below zero, to stimulate lending."

"...called for the BoJ to embark on "unlimited" monetary easing to return to inflation after years of deflation. The current target for inflation is just 1 percent, but Abe wants to raise it to 3 percent."

Sounds like they are about to turn their central banking knob to eleven.

Breaking: Secret photos of Abe playing with Japans money supply

images

Go ahead Bank of Japan! QE all you want, BEAT that Yen down!

It looks like it will be a real race vs. the US$ and euro as time goes by.

It the Yen goes down it makes our MBS bearings cheaper though... MBS is now our 3rd best selling brand. We just sold over $1,000,000 (2012 total) at Ameru this month. At the risk of antagonizing some of my friends here, I will write something up discussing details of our landmark.

Last edited:
My impression ("anecdotal data point" if you will) when I was in Osaka a few days last May was that the Japanese are kind-of giving up. I had some nice long chats with our supplier there. He told me that the kids no longer bust their butts studying... Fukushima also still glows... Maybe it was just me, but there seemed to be an air of resignation.

He was able to keep his bearing plant running though this summer, apparently did not suffer big brownouts.

I feel for the guy though (the president of our bearing supplier there). His is a family company, and his only kid is just 9 years old and so is a LONG way from being able to manage a manufacturing and export company.

JAPANESE TEENAGERS, YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULTS: ATTITUDES, APATHY AND NEW LIFESTYLES
http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=622&catid=18

I'd laugh if it wasn't such a problem for them.

Although, it was nice to see a chart where the US wasn't in the worst shape for once.

Back
Top Bottom