Dead: Liberty Coin and Precious Metals

No longer in business

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

1.00 star(s)
1 Rating - Raters

DosZap

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Look at Liberty Coins,their Au price/buyback spreads are killer are high, but their Silver is GTG, and they have no minimum.( you want 5 ASE's) so be it.
Also, if you buy $2k worth of anythting , shipping is FREE.
No one else I know does either of those, unless the quanities, and dollars a at least $10k.
I spoke to Mark the owner, they are rated A+ if memory serves w/BBB.
One complaint(resolved) in last 12 mos.

A Google search yields several websites that claim to be "Liberty Coins" or variations thereof. Which one is the one you are reviewing?

Is this Liberty Metals? ( libertycpm.com )

If so - does anyone else have experience with them?

Mod edit: Live link edited since website is no longer there

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviews on Yelp aren't particularly helpful. Some people upset about their selling experience.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/liberty-coin-and-precious-metals-del-mar

Curious as well since they are ~1 hour away. Would be nice to make a day trip out of it - visit the zoo, bet on horses and buy a few lbs. of silver.

Their premiums and prospect of free shipping are attractive, but I'm always wary of telephone sales. Would be curious if any of you have experience doing phone orders.

Well - I placed an order at Liberty Coin and Precious Metals, the website I posted about above. Overall the experience was fairly positive.

After I placed my order, I mailed a check online via my bank. The check never made it to Liberty, but they never contacted me at all. I called them up and they explained that they never got the check and asked me to send a new one. I resent a paper check and everything went through great. The guys at Liberty were very helpful and understanding about the entire issue.

From the time the check cleared to when I got the metals was about 2-3 weeks. The entire process took about two months from start to finish due to my bank screwing up.

Overall, the company was very responsive to my inquiries by phone. Several of my emails were ignored or lost, which I don't know. Either way, calling works best.

They have good prices and I'd buy from them again without hesitation.

Thanks for the review jd1123.

If you don't mind me asking, can you give me a range of how big the transaction was?
A few ounces? 50-100? 100+? Only reason I ask is for a data point on how they treat different size transactions.

How were they on the phone?

As for your experience... them ignoring or losing e-mails is scary. With phone orders, it's my word against their word, with no documentation. I don't like doing business that way. Also 2-3 weeks seems like a long time. I'm upset (just a bit) that APMEX didn't send my shipment as soon as my check cleared. I'd go ballistic if it took 2-3 weeks without any updates.

Reviews on Yelp aren't particularly helpful. Some people upset about their selling experience.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/liberty-coin-and-precious-metals-del-mar

Curious as well since they are ~1 hour away. Would be nice to make a day trip out of it - visit the zoo, bet on horses and buy a few lbs. of silver.

Their premiums and prospect of free shipping are attractive, but I'm always wary of telephone sales. Would be curious if any of you have experience doing phone orders.

They are only upset because they were selling scrap or numismatics.

LCPM doesn't offer numismatic premiums because they are not a numismatics dealer...that would be like trying to sell a highly customized motorcycle to a car dealership - they might buy it, but they won't offer you what it's "worth" because they deal in cars, not motorcycles (especially ones where the "value" is in the eye of the beholder rather than intrinsic retail value).

Their scrap rate is lower than spot because scrap is not worth spot; spot is per oz of fine silver and scrap does not meet that definition. Scrap silver has to be refined and reminted into .999 bullion, and there is a cost to that process, so of course they are not going to offer you more than what it's worth to them or the open market.

Any bad reviews based on those points are just ridiculous.

LCPM has a great website, with all the products they offer, and the sale and buyback prices update in real time along with the spot price. There is no reason to be confused or surprised when buying or selling if you just check the price. They even have flatscreens in the store cued to their webpage so all you have to do is look.

I've done one purchase in person, and one over the phone. The one over the phone was great...I was sure I knew what the market would bottom out at, saw the spot ticker hit that price, called and locked it in. Very convenient.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

hi maxblockm

whats your relationship with LCPM ?

think we are happy to have people here who are responding to potentially unfair comments but ideally it needs to be clear where the response is coming from .......

I'm a customer. If you read my last post I say I've done one purchase in person, and one over the phone. I live in San Diego, LCPM is 30 min away in Del Mar.

Attachments

• img047 edited2.jpg
    img047 edited2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 14
fair enough maxblockm

just that a first post that seems to weigh in supporting a commercial org, gets treated with some caution.

Welcome aboard.

I've been in contact with them about my site a couple times and they were polite and helpful. Most dealers don't even reply to me.

Thanks for the review jd1123.

If you don't mind me asking, can you give me a range of how big the transaction was?
A few ounces? 50-100? 100+? Only reason I ask is for a data point on how they treat different size transactions.

How were they on the phone?

As for your experience... them ignoring or losing e-mails is scary. With phone orders, it's my word against their word, with no documentation. I don't like doing business that way. Also 2-3 weeks seems like a long time. I'm upset (just a bit) that APMEX didn't send my shipment as soon as my check cleared. I'd go ballistic if it took 2-3 weeks without any updates.

Old thread but figured I'd follow up anyway. I've ordered from liberty on many occasions - transactions from 50 to 400+. So far all good, only problem I've had so far is that they sold me a couple of JM 100 oz bars with paint on them. Haven't decided if I want to send them back or just remove the paint myself.

These guys are pretty responsive. In my experience, they are quicker than MOST places (about the same or a tiny bit longer than tulving) with regards to shipping. The emails I'm not sure what happened, but they always answer the phone and take the time to deal with me.

I have a lot of problems getting checks out from my bank, and they have been understanding every time.

I would order from them exclusively if their premiums were lower and they cut the shipping out for large orders. So far I'm a happy customer.

Was in San Diego for work last week and stopped by Liberty CPM on my way back to LA. Tiny shop with a killer view of the ocean. They didn't seem very organized in the shop - one guy on the left counting checks out in the open, the safe was wide open, a few sad looking (mostly empty) trays in the display cabinet, a table in the back with sheets of gold Maples just sitting there...

Main reason I went in was to see the quality of their British Sovereigns. Their GM (via e-mail) said they were in "good" condition, when most other shops sell XF or AU coins. Turns out the 4 they had in stock were closer to XF/AU, rather than "good". Makes me wonder how much they understand grading...

The guy I spoke to didn't know what Sovereigns were, and had to ask another guy what he's pricing. OTOH, they were upfront about their pricing - and simply pulled up their website.

Overall, wasn't terribly impressed with their level of sophistication, but if they can sell at their prices, and can deliver on time, I may buy from them.

BTW, they have a paper target taped on the office door. You'll see it as soon as you walk in. Whoever went to the rage is a decent shot and enjoys shooting (lots of holes).

Liberty Coin and Precious Metals, Del Mar CA

Here is my experience with them-

Last December I placed a phone order with them and while it took a couple of weeks to get my order, everything seemed ok and I liked the prices that they had.

The next order I placed was the Friday before presidents day. I called and ordered 60 generic rounds and said I would mail the check on Tuesday, since Monday the bank and post office would be closed. The guy on the phone said that they couldn't do that, that I had to send a check right away. I said OK, I'll call back next week. He then said that he would do it, but would wait to send me an email receipt till the next week. I said fine.

The next week comes and goes, and no email receipt from Liberty. I thought that he never placed the order, so I called in on Friday (The Friday after President's day) and ordered 50 ASE's. They never mentioned the other order, I sent them a check.

Monday next comes around, and in the evening I get a call from a guy named Api with an accent that says they haven't received my check from the 60 rounds that had been ordered. I said I never got a receipt in my email, and literally as I was talking to him I see the receipt pop up in my inbox. It says that they were ordered the previous week and the due date was past due.

I told him this was the first I had seen of the receipt, as he had just sent it to me. I said that I ordered 50 ASE's instead. Then he accuses me of trying to "play some game" with doing the 2 orders, I guess because the price had dropped by then. I said since I had sent them a check for the eagles, he would have to wait till after the 1st of March. He seemed pretty upset but that was that.

Now it's March, I see that they cashed my check for the eagles on Feb. 22 and get an email saying that they will be shipped March 8th. Yup, they cash your check and wait 2 weeks to ship. I decided to wait till my eagles arrive before giving them the $ for the 60 rounds.

I get a call today from the same guy, Api. He says they still haven't got my check for the rounds. I explain to him that I'll send it when the eagles I ordered arrive. He then tells me that they will not ship the eagles till they get the check for the rounds. I mailed the check today, as I don't like my cash or silver to be held hostage.

Needless to say, I will no longer do any business with Liberty, and I'm looking to spend up to 1K per month on silver.

Just my experience with them.

Thanks for the review Agstacker.

Did you place your order over the phone? Did they have the on-line ordering set up yet?

Unfortunately I didn't see your review, and placed a small order with them last week via the website. They sent me an e-mail today (03/25) saying payment was received, and shipment would be made 04/08. Not happy there's a 2 week delay, but not too concerned since some some other places (e.g. Goldmart) wait 7 business days to ship, and this is just 3 additional business days.

We'll see how they do... I'm not sure they have what I ordered in stock. Maybe they need 10 days to source what I wanted. Will keep everyone updated.

I've ordered from them twice and had no problem. And both orders were in the last two months. I will only deal with them for now on.

FWIW, I received an e-mail from Liberty on 04/08 (the expected ship date) with an USPS tracking number. It's in the hands of USPS now.

Edit: The package arrived this afternoon. Small USPS box, tightly sealed with security tape. Impossible to open without obvious signs of tampering. Granted the order was only 5 small Sovereigns, the box was filled tightly with packaging peanuts, so items couldn't move around. Coins were in plastic sleeves.

Of the 5 coins. 4 were honest to goodness Sovereigns with graphic violence depicted on the back. 3 of the 4 were of young Victoria (dated 1872, 1878 and 1879). The 4th was old Victoria (dated 1899). Not knowing a lick of coin grading, my guess is these are in XF condition.

The 5th coin was an oddball young Victoria with a shield on the back (dated 1868). It was a bit more worn, and very slightly dented on the edge. Guess they can't all be perfect.

Overall, very pleased with the process. Compared to the nightmare of dealing with Goldmart, I would not hesitate to order from Liberty again.

Last edited:
Just checked their website, and they're opening up a store in Irvine, CA on 05/15. This will be 5-10 miles away. No more shipping fees! I can say good-bye to Goldmart for good (after I receive my order).

FWIW, since I had a very good experience with Liberty last go around, I placed another order with them on 04/19. Received an e-mail saying it would ship 05/06. They didn't ship 'til 05/07. Oh the humanity. But arrived at my office this afternoon.

This batch of Sovereigns was newer - ranging from 1907 to 1925. My guess again is these are all in XF condition.

The silver Libertads were about 20 years old, but still looking in very good shape. They are much more attractive than the Philharmonics I recently received.

My 2 experiences with Liberty have been VERY GOOD. If y'all are looking for a good, low-cost dealer, I would endorse these guys. Their selection is not that great, and they're experiencing delays like many of the dealers, but service is good, and price is competitive.

* bump *

I'm getting a 502 bad gateway error when trying to reach their website. Are they still in business?

According to these sites, out of business.

http://unitedcpm.com/coin-dealers-in-san-diego/liberty-metals-group/

l-300x225.jpg

https://comparegoldandsilverprices.com/dealer-reviews-north-america/liberty-metals-group-reviews/

Found a review of a guy who says they stiffed him for 9,400 back in March of 2016.

https://bullion.directory/bullion-dealers/liberty-metals-group-reviews/

Rating:   1.00 star(s)
They are dead. Not much else to say

Back
Top Bottom