Long term View of the Gold/Silver ratio

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Trader Dan said:
If, and this is a big "IF", traders become convinced that deflationary forces have been left behind, then the environment in which the grey metal will outperform the yellow metal is created. In such a case, this ratio will begin trending LOWER as silver outperforms.

More: http://traderdannorcini.blogspot.com/2012/01/long-term-view-of-goldsilver-ratio.html

Trader Dan posits that the GSR will fall as inflation expectations grow. Essentially, (explicit) QE3 = silver rocket fuel.

Combined with Sprott's buying spree, we may indeed see a replay of early 2011.

I don't know Bug, there will be a lot of congressional resistance to more easing, because all it did the last time was bloat out the banks excess reserves, and cost us money in the form of interest paid on those reserves. The public is waking up to the funneling of money through the back door to these banks and they are not happy about it.

While there may indeed be more easing, I think they will fudge numbers and obfuscate the truth for as long as possible. It is an election year after all, and a lot of those people are afr4aid for their career, and will not want to rock the boat.

I have read good arguments on both sides and cannot really make a determination right now based on clearly tweaked numbers. February and March will tell the tale as bottom line numbers for Q4 all come out.

There wont be congressional resistance from the fed buying MBS. Sort of like how there is no congressional resistance over Obama giving the unemployed a 1 year reprieve from being foreclosed on.

DA,
I read on ZH that the Fed sold a big bag of MBS to Credit Suisse3. Is this something they are going to continue? It seems to me that they would havew to either cherry pick the good stuff to sell, or sell the tranches in piece4s with some going for a steep discount. Either way "the taxpayers" take it up the ass.

The GSR fell through 50 convincingly yesterday. It sits at 48.17 as I type this. Has the breakout for silver begun?

Honestly, I feel that we will begin to see a rise in silver purchases because of the late-comers to the precious metal investment game. For most, especially blue collar workers and families gold prices are often prohibitive while silver allows a family to purchase regularly instead of saving for a gold purchase. Perhaps it is one part instant gratification and one part instance peace of mind, however I believe this is how it will go.

Although, mind you I don't see gold dropping too low any time in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom