My college students can't stand cash

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Carrion Crow

Fly on the Wall
Benefactor
Reaction score
This Fall I was asked to teach a class at my alma mater. With my full-time business, it's a bit of a crunch to squeeze it in, but it's been interesting. Somehow the subject of cash (dollar bills and change) came up the other day and I was surprised to find out that EVERY student in my class dislikes cash. Comments like "it's dirty and I hate getting change back that I have to carry around" and "When my grandparents send me birthday cards it always has cash in it and I end up putting it in the collection box at the animal shelter to get rid of it." Most of them called it "funny money". Several students work as wait staff and I asked if they would rather get tipped in cash (all goes in their pocket, no taxes withheld, etc.) and they all said it wasn't worth it. Would rather get tipped via the CC swiping cube and keep things digital and on their phone.
The whole thing boggles my mind.

This Fall I was asked to teach a class at my alma mater. With my full-time business, it's a bit of a crunch to squeeze it in, but it's been interesting. Somehow the subject of cash (dollar bills and change) came up the other day and I was surprised to find out that EVERY student in my class dislikes cash. Comments like "it's dirty and I hate getting change back that I have to carry around" and "When my grandparents send me birthday cards it always has cash in it and I end up putting it in the collection box at the animal shelter to get rid of it." Most of them called it "funny money". Several students work as wait staff and I asked if they would rather get tipped in cash (all goes in their pocket, no taxes withheld, etc.) and they all said it wasn't worth it. Would rather get tipped via the CC swiping cube and keep things digital and on their phone.
Sad.

Stepping stones approach.

Plastic is quick and easy and standard fare among the biomass. We've got to face it, we're the last of the old school.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose....

They are too ignorant and uneducated to know any better.

Cash (in small bills) is king when the power goes out.

They are too ignorant and uneducated to know any better.
We used to work for money that had value attached ... they're working for digits on a computer.

It's the way of things. They're life is digital computers, ours was analog clocks. They can't dial a number on a phone, nor tell what time it is on a dial clock.

We're going the way of the buggy whips...

Sad.

Stepping stones approach.

Plastic is quick and easy and standard fare among the biomass. We've got to face it, we're the last of the old school.
In hindsight, it shouldn't have surprised me. If you go to any sporting event, concert, etc. Everything is "cashless" including parking.

In reality the paper and the digits are the same thing. Digits are more convenient for a digital culture.

In reality the paper and the digits are the same thing. Digits are more convenient for a digital culture.
So true. The first time I saw someone deposit a check using their phone I couldn't believe it. Now I do it all the time.
The Times They Are A-Changin'

Would rather get tipped via CC? WTF! This has to be product of mass brainwashing. Is cash being demonized in grade school curriculum these days? It sure sounds like it.

don't worry, one day, most of them will 'get it'

at some point, we all decided we're being taken to the cleaners, that hurt

we need to make certain as many of 'them' know who to blame when it goes off the rails

it'll be the politicians...again, and the kids need to be reiminded, most politicians are lawyers and lawyers charge an enormous amount of money for their services, money that most kids will probably never have, then remind them: Good Luck as our time is nearly up

then smile, remind them their beard still looks pretty

don't worry, one day, most of them will 'get it'
I don't doubt that, Buck. But I do wonder how long, and how much suffering and death might occur before they wake the hell up.

I don't doubt that, Buck. But I do wonder how long, and how much suffering and death might occur before they wake the hell up.
i'm frustrated as it's not clear as to who's to accept the most blame for this type of an outcome...the perpetrators should always take the blame but once one's eyes have been exposed, then re-closed, they've got to accept their share also, the reason is they're not doing anything to rectify themselves to their 'new' reality

acceptance of evil is nearly the same as doing the evil itself, like the driver of the get-a-way car in a bank robbery where a victim or two get shot up, they're as much at fault as the shooter is, iyam

and our laws indicate i'm not the only one who believes this, yet it's not applied across the board

i'm not gonna try to make sense out of this but man has controlled / killed other men since the beginning of time, it's like, it's one of 'our' stronger traits yet, here, today, we're not using it to it's fullest extent

and i'm confused about whether to be happy or sad...but someone's responsible for the deaths that occur in the mean time and that's what's frustrating to me

my goal is to keep those 'deaths' as far away from me as possible...

join me and Pray for All Of Us...Our Father, who Art In Heaven....

and i'm not trying to go religious, but positive thoughts about a better tomorrow and sitting here being fleeced isn't working, so, why not?

Imagine getting paid a $5:gold piece for a day's pay from Henry Ford back in 1915.
you'd be dead to enjoy the value it's currently achieved...

what's the equivalent today...about $400, give or take...

few received that amount daily, back then, and if we were to apply any relevance to today, even fewer on the production lines get a fraction of that, per day

sounds too high to me but, i'm certain it was all relative back then to what a man could produce and what the robber-barron believed his company to be worth (divide that by employees...nope, we gotta let someone go...anyone learn what that guy who earns $400 per day knows???)

they were the same back then as they are today, only today, they've got better technology

just saying...

I was surprised to find out that EVERY student in my class dislikes cash.

I wonder if watching this would change any of their minds?

People, young folk in particular, seek paths of least resistance. Cash is inconvenient compared to digital as long as everything is working. The problem with most people is zero concept of risk analysis or cost/benefit analysis for insurance (in this case, being prepared for cases where digital infrastructure doesn't work). Spend some time in an area where a natural disaster has occurred (like a hurricane) and there is no power for days or weeks. It's a real eye opener.

Was in goodwill the other day, waiting in a long line to pay for my stuff when their internet connection went down. An announcement was made that credit cards weren't being accepted, it was cash only until they got internet fixed. There were numerous moans and groans and most of the line ahead of me walked away.

There were a couple of fools that still tried to buy with a CC but they were told no. I was one of three people who did have cash to pay. Out of a line of about twenty people.

"These are Alan Greenspanā€™s own words from 1966. He has always known and still knows today, itā€™s just that he took a job in 1987 where he was forced to lie to you. Please read his words carefully, they are 100% correct!" Bill Holter

ā€œWhat medium of exchange will be acceptable to all participants in an economy is not determined arbitrarily.ā€

Greenspan-Au-view-1966 Download

Give 'em my address. I accept all usd fiats. šŸ„³

Read through the thread. Most of what I've read doesn't ring true with people I know in the service industry.

The bar & restaurant owners I know prefer cc's for payment. For tips, the bartenders / servers prefer cash.

Small lawn care people I know prefer cash and a good number of small contractors I know give discounts for cash.

On a different note.........when I'm out & about I rarely see anyone pay cash for anything.

The bar & restaurant owners I know prefer cc's for payment. For tips, the bartenders / servers prefer cash.
Agree, CCs, DCs, Gift Cards make easy book keeping.
I pay the tab with the above, ZERO tip written into the bill, and cash left on the table for the waiter/waitress.
The waiter... can claim whatever they are comfortable with.

My understanding is that the IRS requires restaurant owners to report gross sales for each server and they are taxed on either 8 or 10% of those gross sales as a minimum.

Agree, CCs, DCs, Gift Cards make easy book keeping.
I pay the tab with the above, ZERO tip written into the bill, and cash left on the table for the waiter/waitress.
The waiter... can claim whatever they are comfortable with.

Do exactly the same.

My understanding is that the IRS requires restaurant owners to report gross sales for each server and they are taxed on either 8 or 10% of those gross sales as a minimum.
FWIW:
IRS rules require restaurants to report tips for waitresses and waiters amounting to at least 8 percent of gross sales. When a waitress reports tips that total less than 8 percent of her sales, the employer must ā€œallocateā€ the difference. ...

So, you need to be tipping more than 10% if you really want to do your waitstaff any favors as they are going to get nicked for tax liability on a (roughly) 10% tip anyway.

Back
Top Bottom