Personal financial literacy class now a requirement for graduation in PA

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Personal financial literacy class now a requirement for graduation in PA​

20 December 2023- After much pushing, Governor Josh Shapiro has signed a requirement that all public school students in Pennsylvania take a financial literacy class prior to graduation. That means that personal finance will be taught to every student in order to graduate.

“It has long been a goal of mine to have financial literacy taught in our public schools,” Auditor General DeFoor said. “I want to congratulate Sen. Chris Gebhard for championing this legislation and getting it across the finish line. Knowing how to Be Money Smart is one of the best lessons a student can learn to set themselves up for future financial success.”

Act 35 of 2023 requires all public schools to teach a half a credit of personal financial literacy for high school students starting with the 2026-2027 school year.

More:

It's a good idea IMO, but as with most things in life, details matter. I expect the actual curriculum will be fairly basic budget management type stuff.

It's a good idea IMO, but as with most things in life, details matter. I expect the actual curriculum will be fairly basic budget management type stuff.
Anything is better than nothing in this regard.
Hopefully a little Dave Ramsey & not so much Visa Mastercard.
My wife tells the story that when she first attended college she went to a bank to open a checking account.
Imagine her surprise when they wanted her to deposit actual money in the account to get started.
God only knows where she thought "check money" came from.

This will be declared racist white culture before long... why balance your non existent checkbook when you can steal stuff...?

Great idea, but depends on the details. Basic accounting and financial planning should be included, so that spendaholic artists are informed about practical realities.

Back
Top Bottom