Physical gold and silver inventory watch 2013

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The following report details changes from 4/2 @ ~8am to 4/3 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 161 to 152. Perth (-1), JM "pressed" (-1 sold out), Pamp (-3), Credit Suisse (-4)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 4693 to 3737. Apmex (-11), Pamp (-146), Pamp YotD (-5), Credit Suisse (-678), Perth (-19), Heraeus (-1), Scotiabank (-1), generic with assay (-26), generic no assay (-11), RCM (-8), Sunshine V2 (-50)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 263 to 186. Apmex (-6), RCM (-24), JM "new" (-31), Englehard secondary market (-10 sold out), Englehard "struck" (-3 sold out), Englehard "bull logo" (-2), JM "Canada" (-1)
Very strong sales volume across the board. Looks like people definitely BTFD yesterday!

For 1ozt gold, the 956 difference represents a 20% reduction in inventory in a single day.

In 100ozt silver, Apmex raised the premiums on RCM and JM "new" bars by $.10. Even so, they managed to sell ~30% of their inventory yesterday.

I also checked Tulving briefly this morning and they are sold out of 90% silver.

The following report details changes from 4/3 @ ~8am to 4/4 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 152 to 148. Perth (-2), Apmex (-4), JM "poured" (+1), Pamp (-12), Credit Suisse (+13)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3737 to 3679. Apmex (-29), Pamp (-127), Pamp YotD (-4), Credit Suisse (-77), Perth (+169), Heraeus (-2), Argor-Heraeus (+7), Scotiabank (-13), generic with assay (-4), generic no assay (+34), RCM (-6), Sunshine V2 (-6)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 186 to 331. Apmex (-15), RCM (+123), JM "new" (+35), Englehard secondary market (+3), Englehard "struck" (+1), Englehard "bull logo" (-1 sold out), JM "Canada" (-2 sold out), Credit Suisse (+1)
Looks like strong sales volume continued even as Apmex restocked inventory for all products.

The following report details changes from 4/4 @ ~8am to 4/5 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 148 to 146. Perth (-1), Apmex (+4), Pamp (-3), Credit Suisse (-2)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3679 to 3176. Apmex (-32), Pamp (-222), Pamp YotD (-11), Credit Suisse (-125), Perth (-32), Heraeus (-1), Argor-Heraeus (-2), Scotiabank (-1 sold out), generic with assay (-15), generic no assay (-20), RCM (-24), Sunshine V2 (-18)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 331 to 450. Apmex (-45), Apmex "IRA" (+21), RCM (+67), JM "new" (+71), Englehard secondary market (-3 sold out), Englehard "struck" (-1 sold out), JM secondary market (+8), Credit Suisse (+1)
Again it looks like strong sales volume continued (especially in 1ozt gold) even as Apmex restocked inventory for 10ozt gold and 100ozt silver.

LBMA forward rates have also dropped rapidly over the last two days, indicating dip buying by the big guys.
03-Apr-13 0.22500 0.24333 0.26000 0.30667 0.34833
04-Apr-13 0.19333 0.21167 0.23333 0.29000 0.33833
05-Apr-13 0.18000 0.20333 0.22833 0.28333 0.33167

China is on holiday yesterday and today. So they're not even in the market, at least not the private sector.

Is that for gold or silver?

It's been 3 days since the last report.

The following report details changes from 4/5 @ ~8am to 4/8 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 146 to 153. Apmex (-3), Pamp (+11), generic no assay (-1)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3176 to 3289. Apmex (-36), Pamp (+398), Pamp YotD (-6), Credit Suisse (-78), Perth (-29), Argor-Heraeus (-97), generic with assay (-4), generic no assay (-28), RCM (-7)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 450 to 514 Apmex (+104), Apmex "IRA" (-12), RCM (-35), JM "new" (-21), generic secondary market (+16), Englehard secondary market (+12), Englehard "struck" (+1), JM secondary market (-1)
Apmex managed to increase inventory across all categories over the weekend. Even so, there is evidence of strong sales volume as well.

Hi, great info!

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but, I was wondering if anyone knew who the major distributors for these sites are and who supplies them? I know fidelitrade supplies many of them, and was wondering who else? Thanks.

Hi monad, welcome to the forum. :wave:

By "distributors", do you mean wholesalers/suppliers? As I understand it, there is a "wholesale market" that coin shops and dealers use to sell large quantites of metals to each other. Certain dealers (like Apmex) are authorized to buy bullion coins directly from the US Mint.

~~~

The following report details changes from 4/8 @ ~8am to 4/9 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 153 to 146. Perth (-1), Pamp (-5), Credit Suisse (-1)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3289 to 3215. Apmex (-14), Pamp (-18), Pamp YotD (-4), Credit Suisse (-124), Perth (-3), Argor-Heraeus (+99), generic no assay (-2), RCM (-7), Sunshine V2 (-1)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 514 to 460. Apmex (-6), Apmex "IRA" (-9 sold out), RCM (-14), JM "new" (-7), generic secondary market (-7), Englehard secondary market (-8), Englehard "struck" (-1 sold out), JM secondary market (-3), JM "Canada" (+1)
Looks like very strong sales volume for 10ozt gold and 100ozt silver. Apmex also raised the premiums on Englehard and Johnson Matthey "secondary market" 100ozt silver.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, I was wondering who these certain dealers, who're able to buy directly fromt he US mint, were? I'm assuming the rest of the online retailers (i.e Blanchard, Lear Capital, etc...) purchase from APMEX and the other select few who can purchase direct from the mint?

... The United States Mint does not sell its bullion coins directly to the public. Instead, the United States Mint distributes the coins in bulk, through a network of official distributors called Authorized Purchasers who, in turn, sell them to secondary retailers.

To become a United States Mint Authorized Purchaser of gold, silver, or platinum bullion coins, your firm must meet certain financial and professional criteria. Click on the links below to review the criteria by metal type:

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?action=americanEagles

This page has a list from 2010. I couldn't find a more recent list:
There are a total of eight gold authorized purchasers, 12 for silver and six for platinum. Three firms are outside the United States.

They are:

• A-Mark Precious Metals of Santa Monica, Calif. It is authorized to purchase gold, silver and platinum.
• American Precious Metals Exchange, Inc., of Oklahoma City, Okla. Silver Eagles only.
• Coins ‘N’ Things, Inc., of Bridgewater, Mass. Gold, silver and platinum.
• Dillon Gage Inc. of Dallas, Texas. Silver only.
• Fidelitrade, Inc. of Wilmington, Del. Silver only.
• Jack Hunt Coin Broker, Inc., of Kenmore, N.Y. Silver only.
• MTB of New York. Gold, silver and platinum.
• Prudential Securities, Inc., of New York. Gold, silver and platinum.
• Scotia Mocatta of New York. Gold silver and platinum.
• The Gold Center of Springfield, Ill., Silver only.

There are two authorized gold and silver purchasers in Europe, Commerzbank International in Luxembourg and Deutsche Bank, A.G., in Germany.

The Far East has one authorized purchaser, Tanaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K. in Japan, which can buy gold and platinum.

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=10699

Slightly newer (but still 2010) list: http://mintnewsblog.com/2010/12/us-mint-authorized-purchaser-list/

The following report details changes from 4/9 @ ~9am to 4/10 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 146 to 145. JM "poured" (-1)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3215 to 3313. Apmex (-24), Pamp (-23), Credit Suisse (+175), Perth (-23), generic no assay (-3), RCM (-2), Sunshine V2 (-2)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 460 to 402. Apmex (-4), RCM (-47), JM "new" (-16), generic secondary market (-2), Englehard secondary market (+6), JM secondary market (+5)
Sales volume for gold returned to earth (roughly normal/average volume) over the last 24 hours. Sales volume for 100ozt silver continues to be strong.

The following report details changes from 4/10 @ ~8am to 4/11 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 145 to 136. Pamp (-8), Credit Suisse (-1)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3313 to 3633. Apmex (+129), Pamp (+467), Pamp YoTD (-10), Credit Suisse (-136), Perth (-7), Heraeus (-1), generic no assay (-11), RCM (-107), Sunshine V2 (-4)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 402 to 341. Apmex (-15), RCM (-22), JM "new" (-13), generic secondary market (-7 sold out), Englehard secondary market (-1), JM secondary market (-9 sold out), Englehard "poured" (+1), Englehard "struck" (+3), RCM "old style" (+3), JM "Canada" (-1 sold out)
Strong sales volume in 10ozt gold and 100ozt silver. Lots of volatility in the 1ozt gold inventories. Not sure how to read it (ie. wholesale or retail activity?).

Tulving sold out of 90%,SAE's & Maples.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Thanks BigJim. Sounds like a lot of dealers are out of SAEs (and Maples?) right now and the US Mint is having trouble keeping up with demand.

The following report details changes from 4/11 @ ~9am to 4/12 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 136 to 134. Pamp (-2)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3633 to 3283. Apmex (-3), Pamp (-195), Pamp YoTD (-5), Credit Suisse (-84), Perth (-51), generic no assay (-6), RCM (-1), Sunshine V2 (-5)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 341 to 294. Apmex (-4), RCM (-29), JM "new" (-16), generic secondary market (+6), Englehard secondary market (-4)
Strong sales volume in 1ozt gold and 100ozt silver.

I had a standing order for the 50 gram pamp suise (poured) at apmex and it was down to 7 this morning.

I checked in this afternoon and they were all sold!

Yeah...the physical buyers are BUYING!!!!

Can't wait for your next update brother!

-Q

Can't wait for your next update brother!

Me either! I don't normally do updates on a weekend, but with the crazy action yesterday, I had to find out what happened....

The following report details changes from 4/12 @ ~9am to 4/13 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 134 to 95. Pamp (-7), Perth (-11), Apmex (-2 sold out), Johnson Matthey "poured" (-2), generic no assay (-5), Credit Suisse (-12)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3283 to 2210. Apmex (-67), Pamp (-930), Pamp YoTD (-45), Credit Suisse (+212), Perth (-137), Heraeus (-2), Argor-Heraeus (-5), generic with assay (-12), generic no assay (-5 sold out), RCM (-63), Sunshine V2 (-9)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 294 to 731. Apmex (+46), RCM (+207), JM "new" (+189), generic secondary market (-6 sold out), Englehard secondary market (+2), Englehard "first generation" (+1), Englehard "struck" (-1), Englehard "bull logo" (+2), RCM "old style" (-3 sold out)
Monster volume changes (for a 24 hour period relative to normal business) in all products. A couple of things I noticed:
  • Premiums did not change for gold bars. Apmex did raise the premiums on 100ozt silver by $.20/ozt (from 1.19/1.29 to 1.39/1.49)
  • It's possible that Apmex pulled inventory instead of selling it. Inventory changes may not reflect pure sales volume.
  • 10ozt gold inventory dropped ~29% in the last 24 hours.
  • 1ozt gold inventory dropped ~33%.
  • 100ozt silver inventory added ~149%.

I've talked to a number of people in the last 24 hours.
The report is that their LCS has almost NO product.
Very interesting times....

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

...looks like "the little men" are on the move, and that giant sucking sound, is them loading their boats... seems like there's preciously little impact, that the big boys are able to make on the physical market - seems like they are basically making a favor to all these, who wanna buy as much as they can, for as low as they can...

we will see how it all ends, but clearly, there will be blood in the gutters, one way or another... I don't think big boys will capitulate that easy, mark my words here (and fasten your seatbelts)...

The following report details changes from 4/13 @ ~9am to 4/14 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 95 to 90. Pamp (-2), Johnson Matthey "poured" (-1), Credit Suisse (-2)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 2210 to 1973. Apmex (-12), Pamp (-92), Pamp YoTD (-17), Credit Suisse (-61), Perth (-22), Heraeus (-10), Argor-Heraeus (-8), RCM (-13), Sunshine V2 (-2)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 731 to 694. Apmex (-9), RCM (-18), JM "new" (-9), Englehard secondary market (-1)
Very strong sales volume for a Saturday, particularly in the gold bars.

Tulving's site back up.
I've never seen so many Ag listings "Sold Out".

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

I've browsed through a few of the smaller web coin dealers in Germany and Switzerland. Some are posting pm prices from the London pm fix. Others are announcing shipment delays. The bigger shops haven't posted anything unusual on their websites.

The dealers are probably not able to unwind their hedges quickly enough due to the volatility.

The following report details changes from 4/14 @ ~9am to 4/15 @ ~9am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 90 to 69. Perth (-2), Pamp (-11), Johnson Matthey "poured" (-3), Credit Suisse (-2), generic no assay (-3)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 1973 to 1806. Apmex (-53), Pamp (+261), Pamp YoTD (-27), Credit Suisse (-225), Perth (-52), Heraeus (-1), Argor-Heraeus (-8), RCM (-55), Sunshine V2 (-5)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 694 to 532. Apmex (-41), RCM (-64), JM "new" (-48), Englehard secondary market (-4), Englehard "first generation" (-2 sold out), Englehard "struck" (-2 sold out), Englehard "bull logo" (-1)
Normally, there is very little sales volume for a Sunday reporting period. Since I checked numbers at 9am, it's possible that this report reflects a lot of Monday morning (BTMFD) buying. Either way, these numbers are showing *huge* sales volume.

Tulving is still showing most silver as sold out. The only silver bullion they have currently is NTR bars/rounds and some Australian Koala 1 Kilo coins.

Bill Haynes said:
... last week we sold more gold and silver than we normally sell in a whole month. On Friday alone it was astounding because we sold as much physical bullion as we would normally sell in an entire week. There is a great deal of big money coming into the market on this decline.

If buying continues at the rate we saw on Friday, there will be immediate shortages of product....

“We will see instant shortages of silver products such as silver rounds, 10 ounce bars, 100 ounce bars, silver eagles, and silver maple leafs if this relentless demand continues. Silver eagles and silver maple leafs are already seeing delayed delivery.

In other words, the mints can’t keep up with the demand for those coins. The US Mint could easily have another record year of 40+ million ounces of American Silver Eagle sales. I would also add that there are already premiums on 90% silver coins that we haven’t seen in decades.

But the buying is coming in huge for both gold and silver. The physical gold market is on fire as well. Our largest 7-figure order this week was specifically for one ounce gold bars. There was also big buying of American Gold Eagles. This massive buying is taking place in the entire metals industry right now.

This is why I cannot stress to you enough that we will see immediate shortages of product if this continues. If another ‘Black Swan’ happens I can promise you we will see immediate shortages of gold products as well.”
Buyers are already outpacing sellers by a stunning 50 to 1 ratio. ...

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn...e_Verge_Of_Major_Gold_&_Silver_Shortages.html

ALL US WHOLESALE SUPPLIERS ARE NOW SOLD OUT OF EVERY OUNCE OF PHYSICAL SILVER & HAVE SUSPENDED ALL SALES! SDBullion.com has closed due to lack of ANY AVAILABLE SILVER!

Two of the largest wholesale suppliers in the US, including Amark and CNT, who is the supplier of gold blanks to the US Mint for Gold Eagles, and is a registered COMEX depository, HAVE JUST SOLD OUT OF ALL PHYSICAL SILVER!!!

More: http://silverdoctors.com/cnt-sold-out-of-all-physical-silver/

I normally do updates every 24 hours or so. I decided to check Apmex inventory tonight to see what happened...

The following report details changes from 4/15 @ ~9am to 4/15 @ ~8pm:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 69 to 89. Perth (-10), Pamp (+66), Johnson Matthey "poured" (-10 sold out), Credit Suisse (-17), generic no assay (-9 sold out)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 1806 to 3619. Apmex (-55 sold out), Pamp (+282), Pamp YoTD (+401), Credit Suisse (+2177), Perth (-196 sold out), Heraeus (-8), Argor-Heraeus (-19), generic with assay (-496), RCM (+12), Sunshine V2 (-285)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 532 to 538. Apmex (-114 sold out), RCM (+54), JM "new" (+61), Englehard secondary market (-2 sold out), Englehard "bull logo" (-1 sold out)
Huge changes. Looks like Apmex had no trouble sourcing Pamp/Credit Suisse gold. They also appear to have gotten a little bit of gold and silver* from the Royal Canadian Mint.

The inventory additions for 100ozt silver are listed with an available date of April 24 (and another premium increase). I take that to mean their inventory is not in stock any longer. Essentially, they have *zero* 100ozt silver bars in stock right now!

The Pamp 10ozt gold bars are listed with an available date of May 20. Assuming that means they don't have them in stock at the moment, that leaves an inventory of 21 bars in stock.

The following report details changes from 4/15 @ ~8pm to 4/16 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 89 to 71 [9 in stock]. Perth (-11), Pamp (-6), Credit Suisse (-1 sold out)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3619 to 3193. Pamp (-222), Pamp YoTD (-18), Credit Suisse (-212), Perth (+130), Heraeus (-12), Argor-Heraeus (-10), generic with assay (-2 sold out), RCM (-60), Sunshine V2 (-20)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 538 to 358 [0 in stock]. RCM (-118), JM "new" (-60), Credit Suisse (-2 sold out)
Keep in mind that the changes reported here are for a 12 hour over night period. Huge volume!

None are listed as future availability, so apparently, yes. It's curious that they were able to source so much Pamp and Credit Suisse gold. Maybe they had some reserve inventory in stock (reserved for dealer/wholesale market?) that wasn't listed for sale on the website before.

Also, they have not raised premiums (yet?) on any of the gold bars.

Took a quick look at Apmex just now (didn't do a full check or update the Excel file). Apmex now showing Pamp 1ozt bars as future availability. Only ~100 of the future availability 100 ozt silver bars left - and they jacked up premiums again.

Scottsdale Silver is out of their own brand kilo and 100 ozt silver bars. They appear to be well stocked with 10 ozt silver bars.

With continuing high volatility, I decided to do another 12 hour (night) update...

The following report details changes from 4/16 @ ~8am to 4/16 @ ~8pm:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 71 to 54 [11 in stock]. Perth (+2), Pamp (-19)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 3193 to 4362 [437 in stock]. Pamp (+1554), Pamp YoTD (-60), Credit Suisse (-544), Perth (-130 sold out), Heraeus (-4), Argor-Heraeus (-9), RCM (+409), Sunshine V2 (-47 sold out)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 358 to 209 [0 in stock]. RCM (-127 sold out), JM "new" (-22)
Huge sales volume continues. Apmex now showing April 24/25 availability for Pamp, Credit Suisse and RCM 1 ozt gold.

Another update from bullionbypost (UK biggest online bullion supplier)
They've gone from next day delivery to unprecedented 3 days then to 1 hopefully week and today I see they've said because of unprecedented physical demand they're setting a minimum order amount of £500 as well, (+-$750)

Record Orders!

Due to record orders we have had to set a temporary minimum order of £500. We also unable to offer usual next day delivery. Orders will be dispatched ASAP in the order that funds are received. We expect to dispatch most orders within 1 week.

Patrick A. Heller of Liberty Coin Service said:
Yesterday [Monday, April 15] in our store, the further price drop brought out even more eager buyers of precious metals. Even though we recently moved to much larger quarters (the size of the showroom quadrupled and we added several phone lines), customers were waiting as long as 30-60 minutes to be served. Many people simply could not get through on the telephone lines because they were jammed with calls.

The premium over silver value on $1,000 bags of U.S. 90 percent silver coin topped 20 percent. Dealers and wholesalers have almost nothing in stock for immediate delivery and premiums are rising across the board.

Because of slowing deliveries on bullion-priced physical gold and silver coins and ingots, we had to implement a limitation of $5,000 in sales to new mail-order customers. We accepted orders from established mail-order customers and from in-store customers who were ready to made immediate payments. (Note: there is value in having a relationship with a coin dealer who will take care of you on days like today rather than risking not being able to trade at all because a dealer doesn’t know you.)

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=26787

The following report details changes from 4/16 @ ~8pm to 4/17 @ ~8am:
  • 10 ozt gold bars - from 54 to 49 [7 in stock]. Perth (-4), Pamp (-1)
  • 1 ozt gold bars - from 4362 to 4647 [908 in stock]. Pamp (-125), Pamp YoTD (-6), Credit Suisse (-47), Perth (+482), Argor-Heraeus (-5), RCM (-14)
  • 100 ozt silver bars - from 209 to 181 [0 in stock]. JM "new" (-28)
Sales volume for the 12 hour overnight period appears to have cooled a little bit as compared to the night before. I am guessing that sales will pick up again during the day today.

Apmex appears to have some magical ability to source Perth Mint 1ozt gold because they were sold out last night at 8pm and this morning they have 482 bars with no future delivery date attached (indicating that the bars are in stock and ready to be shipped with their normal 1-3 day shipping policy).

Back
Top Bottom