Please give me your feedback on how to improve pmbug

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

How about doing some work on the image/uploads stuff? It's a pain to have to host images elsewhere, and makes your site dependent on those other places - including any security flaws they might have. Heck, I'll buy you a disk drive if you can't afford one, but that's not the only issue - somehow the images get re-rendered in a way that makes them stink compared to what was uploaded too.

Is your ebat widget on the right side of the main page working correctly? It is telling me the average selling price for a Krugerrand is $13.83?? If true, where do i get mine?!?!
:rotflmbo:

eBay's developer tool essentially allows you to track data based upon search terms. It's not necessarily easy to refine the search terms so that odd auctions don't end up in the results.

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f13/ebay-premiums-gold-silver-224/#post1208

The search string I used for the Krugerrands is:
krugerrand 1oz -coins -ngc -pcgs -igc -graded -holder* -tube* -box -proof -lot -airtite -tite* -copper -roll -bulk -live -set -bundle -collection -copy -replica*

just a question, why such a long string? maybe keeping it simple might improve the results...

krugerrand 1oz coins gold bullion

some of the word like replica, copper and copy IMO wouldnt be in the string, i'm just saying.

Edit: oh and is there anyway to turn off the underlined words that are advertising.

Last edited:
just a question, why such a long string? maybe keeping it simple might improve the results...

krugerrand 1oz coins gold bullion

some of the word like replica, copper and copy IMO wouldnt be in the string, i'm just saying.

The words preceded by dashes are negative keywords. They filter out unwanted items from the results. Without them, the results would include graded numismatics, plastic cases, sets of more than one coin, replicas/fakes, etc. Even with all those negative keywords, I'm getting results like Benjamen saw. Obviously, no one sold a 1ozt Gold Krugerrand for $13. It was likely some nicknack related to the bullion coin that I missed with my negative keyword list.

Edit: oh and is there anyway to turn off the underlined words that are advertising.

???

pmbug doesn't use any advertising that underlines words. pmbug does have a system that underlines certain acronyms and give you an expanded/full description of what they mean:

Fed
gsr

But they aren't ads. If you are seeing pop-up ads associated with the text in messages, it's likely that your browser is infected with malware.

What about adding a small HUI (gold mining index) to the top of the frontpage in addition to the gold/silver/dxy charts.
Yahoo finance offers this one:
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/t?s=^HUI&lang=en-CA&region=CA&width=300&height=180

t

Are there any other charts y'all would like to see?

If you making a new page devoted to charts...

Ideas:
1) Similar to what you already do for silver and gold on the main page, graphs tracking platinum and palladium.

2) Similar to http://www.24hgold.com/english/home.aspx, perhaps various world markets and/or various major currencies.

3) Copper, Oil, and any other commodities that may be useful.

All kinds of free charts to use here:
http://www.24hgold.com/english/free_charts.aspx

Last edited:
Hi,

I've noticed some time ago, that unread topic's highlighting (unread topics being rendered in bold), seems to be all over the place?

I don't know if it is because I am using few different clients to access PMBug (three separate instances of Chrome, two separate instances of Tapatalk Android app), but it seems I am getting these bold topics nearly at random, and certainly most of them I have read already.

Hilfe! ;)

bushi - that could be a cookie issue. I'm not 100% sure how the forum software keeps track of the read/unread status.

There is a link on this page: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/ that says "Mark Forums Read". You can try using that to clear/reset all threads to "read" status.

I've thought about the possibility of feeding LBMA gold and silver forward (not: lease) rates into a database for a while now and making useful charts with the data. The kitco lease rates (yes lease, not forward) have been nonsensical for a while now and they can't be relied upon for indications about physical thightness any longer.
I'm no expert on databases (access or sql), but would it be possible to feed in the daily updates of LBMA forward rates into two charts for gold silver with 5 lines each without hours of prgramming?
I'm thinking about a chart with 5 lines in different colors:
1 month/2m /3m / 6m / 1 year.

The LBMA data is available here:
Gold http://www.lbma.org.uk/pages/index.cfm?page_id=55&show=2012
Silver http://www.lbma.org.uk/pages/index.cfm?page_id=56&title=silver_forwards&show=2012

I wouldn't use lease rates (right column of the tables) as they're beeing reported with a 7 day delay, instead I'd use forward rates (left column).
Lease rates are forward rates minus libor rates anyway, so as long as libor rates don't change dramatically, it doesn't make a big difference.

Hopefully my explantion makes any sense to you :flushed:

I'm sure that a php guru could whip up a GOFO charting routine with little trouble, but it would likely take me several days to write code to parse the lbma website for the data and chart it. I took a look around and I wasn't able to find anyone offering a GOFO chart, so maybe I'll look into it over one of the upcoming holidays if I get some time.

The search function has a character limit for words. Any words 3 characters or less are ignored. This is by design to prevent very large table scans on the database.

I suggest tagging threads with three letter acronyms where appropriate. The tag search function does search for 3 letter words.

Alternatively, you can use Google:
site:pmbug.com slv ...

I removed the goldprice.com ebay chart from the home page. They had not updated it since September 2012, so I think perhaps it's long outlived whatever useful insights it might have provided.

I also added a page describing an advertising policy (thanks to an inquiry received via email a few days ago).

Oh and yeah... I dropped the ball on the "charts page". I need to go back through this thread and follow up on a few things I think, but I don't know when I might get to it in the short term - I'm really busy right now. :paperbag:

I'm having trouble to connect to this site and only to this one. Is traffic higher than usual or is pmbug under DDoS attack :D ?

Not sure what happened. I sent an inquiry to the server manager, but haven't received an answer yet. The server was definitely not responsive earlier. Seems to be working fine now.

ARRRRRG! please oh please make the PMbug logo a hotlink to the forums page. There was something else I wanted to whine about but, I forgot what it was by the time I found the forums page.

1665609672208.png

Oh yeah, the other thing! Please allow us to load more posts per page. 20 post per page is kind of light IMHO. When I have internet it's generally pretty good but, when I don't it sucks to only have 20 posts. I live in a very rural state and try to load my phone up with stuff to read later... like at work, where there is little to no service.

ARRRRRG! please oh please make the PMbug logo a hotlink to the forums page. There was something else I wanted to whine about but, I forgot what it was by the time I found the forums page.
Uh... There's a menu at the top of the page that has links to "home' and ... 'forums'.

I adjusted the setting to 40 posts per page. HTH!

The only thing that I've noted/wished for, and I think this is a Xenforo thing so you probably can't adjust it, on a desktop you can select the page number for the thread at the top or bottom. But on my phone that only pops up on the bottom. So for Zed's crazy thread you always have to scroll down and then click on page 35 or whatever its up to now.

Yeah, I have the same gripe. But you should be able to jiggle the page (vertical slider on PC) a bit and then click the 'bottom of the page' button that magically appears (looks like a down arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen).

Zed is rather shy about it, but he does know a thing or two about XenForo... He might be a good resource?

Back
Top Bottom