Important PMBug News Page (opinions and feedback)

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Some of you may have seen discussion about the PMBug News page in other threads. For those who haven't, we have a news page that pulls headlines from numerous sites every hour or so and displays them in one easy to browse page. You can find this page in the main menu ( "News" at the top of the page for PCs and in the main navigation pop-up menu on mobile). You can also find it here:

It takes a few seconds for the page to load. Be patient.

I think some of the sources on the news page are not very interesting (slow to post news, post news already covered by other sites, etc.). I might trim the list a bit. I'd like your feedback on what you find useful. Give the news page a try a few times over the course of a day or so to get a feel for how it works over time. Then vote and/or give me your feedback.

If there is a site missing that you would like to see on the list, mention it here and I'll investigate.

Last edited:
I voted for the first 4, after that I probably wouldn't read any of them.

321gold.com may or may not be appropriate.

i read an article from Kitco and my head spins...i played with one this morning, to share here, words matter...but i had so many tabs open it was ridiculous

the gist of the article:
The Reason For the Drop in the Stock Market is because the day traders have all gone to cash, pulling their cash out of the system

i've done some basic math that indicates 'day traders' can account for not much more than about 10% of all trading, unless you count all the trading houses that set up fake trades, set narratives so they win, etc...but what i got was, they were blaming the market troubles on the day traders and they predicted that 'next year', things are going to 'turn around' iirc...and they placed a time frame in the First Calendar Quarter of 2023...basically no more than six months from now, it's all gonna 'turn around'

pure BS

the BS is everywhere...and to think about any Reality Bias, indicates to me, we've been lied to for our entire lives and i want no further contact with any of 'em unless they're willing to tell 'the rest of the story' and very few of these places will do that for their readers

shame really, but, it's so widespread, it's looking more like a Sham than anything else, similar stories with similar bad guys and similar good guys and we're to 'trust this story' but none of the others...they do that without slamming each other, like it's a practice to protect the lies

but i'm prejudiced, i'm jaded and i'm honest about it

321gold.com may or may not be appropriate.

They don't appear to be publishing an RSS feed. I've looked and experimented with guesses and no luck. They don't appear to be using any modern CMS for publshing their site - it looks like something they hand built - so it probably doesn't publish an RSS feed.

I've tried contacting them many times over the years and never, ever got any response. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Yep. Not every source publishes gold every time. I like to have a mix of sources there. Different perspectives.
i spend hours searching for real usable info everyday...it's tough to find, it's hidden everywhere, bits and pieces...it's just not located all in one place as these are mostly commercial sites that HAVE TO offer a product, daily

it can be tough to produce that much information however, if any of these sites ever decided to broadcast the truths, in their completeness, that would be the place to go, but, i believe, most CAN'T OFFER THAT as their understanding of anything historical, anything logical about why we are where we are is because they were never taught the truth and most won't go looking for it

like a paradox of ignorance that some editors are encouraging contributors to practice in their articles

an obfuscation is still a lie...

I think it is a waste of site resources. I can access most news sites as I desire. As can others. When something relevant is discovered by someone they can post it here for the rest of us to check out.

If there is a thread on something in the news that I haven't noticed I will probably see it sooner in the forum than I would have if I just cruised the news threads. The news threads have a buncha BS that is not PM focused, repeated stories, news from Podunk, and contains any word you happen to try to search for when you want to find a post by a member.

BF

I think it is a waste of site resources. I can access most news sites as I desire. As can others. When something relevant is discovered by someone they can post it here for the rest of us to check out.

For my part, I often post news in the forum after finding it on the News page. For me, it's a huge time saver.

If there is a thread on something in the news that I haven't noticed I will probably see it sooner in the forum than I would have if I just cruised the news threads. The news threads have a buncha BS that is not PM focused, repeated stories, news from Podunk, and contains any word you happen to try to search for when you want to find a post by a member.

Yeah, I can tell you haven't actually looked at the news page. It's not set up like GIM2. It's not auto-posting news into forum threads.

You can lead a horse to water....

Try it, you'll like it!

giphy.webp

<Hah> I'm not thirsty.

OK, I gave the news feed a gander. Looks better than I had imagined.
I like the way you have them linked at the start. Alphabetize the list (picky picky).
It might be useful after all — the jury is still out.

an I still ain't thirsty
I hardly ever drink water anyhow.
lead me to a beer — now that's different...

I am grateful for the ease of access to these sites.

Bit of a tease regarding Jim Rickards as theres nothing there ( unless it has changed as a result of your recent efforts )
and Steve St Angelo and Turd are subscription sites these days ..........

Bit of a tease regarding Jim Rickards as theres nothing there ( unless it has changed as a result of your recent efforts )
and Steve St Angelo and Turd are subscription sites these days ..........
Rickards and GATA are working again. Whatever my developer guy did to get the script working in the upgraded PHP environment seemed to fix the feed reading/parsing too. :)

SRSRocco and Turd - agree. Not so much interesting content in the RSS feeds from them any more.

JOC has some interesting stuff.

Platts is good for energy
JOC isn't publishing an RSS feed as far as I can tell. I tested a few common feed URLs and none worked.

Platts is a subscription service. They aren't publishing public news as far as I could see.

I noticed you did not include Redtube.com and VidaCann.com for their new releases.

@searcher - I'm looking for RSS feeds to maybe add to the News page. If a site doesn't publish an RSS feed, I can't add it to the page. I'm not asking for folks to give me lists of cool news services for personal use. I'm asking for suggestions of news sites that publish RSS feeds (specifically).

@searcher - I'm looking for RSS feeds to maybe add to the News page. If a site doesn't publish an RSS feed, I can't add it to the page. I'm not asking for folks to give me lists of cool news services for personal use. I'm asking for suggestions of news sites that publish RSS feeds (specifically).
Gotcha.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. The vote results so far are pretty much in line with my own views. I might drop some of the less popular/interesting feeds and give some new feeds a try.

Note that jsmineset is now dead. Bill Holter left a Dear John letter a short time ago. It's too bad. Jim Sinclair was a gift to those of us who followed him early on.

Note that jsmineset is now dead. Bill Holter left a Dear John letter a short time ago. It's too bad. Jim Sinclair was a gift to those of us who followed him early on.
$55k/yr to manage that site was a crime!

There wasn't much to manage IMO. It was about as plainjane as a site could get. One could do better hiring a HS kid using blogger.com and dumping the 'Administration'.

FYI gold-eagle.com was the reason GIM started.

Everyone got booted because Dr. V didn't like what they were posting.

It used to have flashing ads everywhere... now it looks like they can afford a suit and a tie.

I'll probably make some changes to the news page tomorrow when I get some time.

* bump *

I removed some of the less popular feeds and added a few new ones.

It loads pretty snappily now! Must have been one of the links that took all day?

* bump *

I'm experimenting with some additions to the News page. I added feeds from:
  • CoinDesk (crypto market news)
  • Legal Tender News (keyword news feed from Bing)
  • Reason (covers a range of economic and political issues)
  • Cato Institute (covers a range of economic and political issues - the feed currently contains an error in it so it isn't rendering, but I hope that it will resolve itself in the coming days)
  • Mises (covers monetary issues)
  • Electronic Frontier Foundation (focused on digital opsec issues)
  • Second Amendment Foundation (laws and court cases related to firearms)

PMB, maybe it's just me; but I don't think "crypto market news" fits under the heading "CoinDesk." Coin collecting and numismatics would be a better fit for such a heading.

Also, a better heading for "crypto market news" would be something like: "Throw Your Money Down The Crapper."

Just sayin'
Farp

Back
Top Bottom