Important PMBug News Page (opinions and feedback)

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

PMB, maybe it's just me; but I don't think "crypto market news" fits under the heading "CoinDesk." Coin collecting and numismatics would be a better fit for such a heading.

Also, a better heading for "crypto market news" would be something like: "Throw Your Money Down The Crapper."

Just sayin'
Farp

I think it just aggregates what the site has to offer, so that is just the stuff from coindesk.com

As I had hoped, the Cato Institute's feed is now resolving.

I added some feeds this morning:
  • Electronic Privacy Information Center (focused on digital opsec issues)
  • The Institute For Justice (focused on constitutional rights)

Last edited:
* bump *

I reconfigured the navigation menu a bit today. As part of that, I added a menu to the News tab that offers quick links to the various available feeds. I think it works the same with all the available style (Blue, PMBug, Shades of Grey) so (on desktop) you should see an unwieldy horizontal menu under News when you are at the top of the News page, but if you scroll down a bit, that disappears and a down arrow appears in the News tab. Click that for a drop down menu of the news categories and you can quickly jump around the news page.

Even though I wouldn't use many of those links, and others I have bookmarked...I appreciate the effort.

In this chaos there's gonna be n00bs coming in; it might help them get up to speed.

For decades, FNC was the source to go to, and everyone could get it. Well, the slow suicide they've been committing, was culminated last night.

We're on a divide. If you can get it easily on a television, IT IS NOT NEWS. It is propaganda - either direct from Deep State conduits, or through apparent Controlled Opposition.

Truth-tellers, like men of peace...like men of science, medicine and law...are now to be destroyed.

Long list of victims - so it's good to have an aggregate list handy for those who want to educate themselves.

Mish changed the URL for his RSS feed some while back and I finally got around to finding the new address which I have updated on the News page so it's now pulling his fresh content (again).

I updated the News page this morning adding sections for the BIS and Fed. I tried tried to add a section for the IMF, but their feeds time out (don't work) when the pmbug server tries to access them (even though I can access them via my browser). I also tried to add a feed for the World Gold Council, but they don't appear to be publishing one (at least, I couldn't find one).

The Institute for Justice's Press Release RSS feed has not been updating for a couple of weeks and today it looks like there is an error in the code as it's completely disappeared from the PMBug news page. Hopefully, the feed will start resolving once the erroneous code goes away in a week or so.

Today, I noticed a similar issue happening with the ZeroHedge feed not updating. In this case though, I had configured the page to pull the ZH feed from feedburner.com, so I assume that feedburner just wasn't publishing that feed any more. I looked on ZH and found that they (now?!?) publish an RSS feed directly (I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I set things up originally). So the news page looks like it's pulling fresh content from the the ZH feed again.

The Institute for Justice's Press Release RSS feed has not been updating for a couple of weeks and today it looks like there is an error in the code as it's completely disappeared from the PMBug news page. Hopefully, the feed will start resolving once the erroneous code goes away in a week or so.

Today, I noticed a similar issue happening with the ZeroHedge feed not updating. In this case though, I had configured the page to pull the ZH feed from feedburner.com, so I assume that feedburner just wasn't publishing that feed any more. I looked on ZH and found that they (now?!?) publish an RSS feed directly (I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I set things up originally). So the news page looks like it's pulling fresh content from the the ZH feed again.
Something happened to ZH...they're not cutting-edge now; they are REALLY pushing premium subscriptions, and they're not making archived articles available. Basically, they went mainstream. Happens to every site, from Little Green Footballs, to Breitbart, to Drudge, and now ZH. The original people burn out, and are replaced with either those with a mission, to push narratives, or those with dollar-signs in their eyes.

Something happened to ZH...

They have definitely made a push to monetize their traffic. In addition to what you mentioned, it seems like 90% of the content they publish now is 3rd party (ie. not the Tylers' original writing). You know that the 3rd parties are paying for ZH to publish their work too. They used to publish original content at a brutal pace. I guess it wasn't sustainable.

~~~

I have tweaked the news page again. I dropped the FDIC press release and Bullionstar feeds. Whenever anything significant appears on those feeds, they are quickly picked up on CNBC/Marketwatch (FDIC) or GATA (Bullionstar), so they were kind of redundant. I also dropped Mises as it's been in the feed for a good while now and none of their content ever piqued sufficient interest in discussion here.

If you read our news page regularly, you have probably already noticed, but I've been experimenting with a few new feeds. Some news sources that have been added include;
  • Naked Capitalism - Blog on financial (and political) issues
  • Tenth Amendment Center - Reports on activity in State legislatures related to a host of issues including gold and silver as money
  • American Banker - News on banking industry shenanigans
  • FDIC press release - Infrequently posts something interesting about bank failures or risks - added back because CNBC/Marketwatch didn't repost some interesting stuff
  • US Mint - Infrequently posts info on numismatic coins/sets

Additionally, I discovered that the Institute for Justice RSS feed is working if I fetch it with my browser, but when the pmbug server tried to fetch it it's returning an error as if the request is being blocked. I had the same issue trying to fetch the feed with an online RSS feed testing website so it's not just the pmbug server. I sent them an email inquiring about the issue. We'll see if they respond.

So Kitco recently got hacked, went offline for a week or so, and has now returned with a new site (with a slightly different link structure and apparently not yet 100% functional). Kitco is not publishing their news feed on the same address as they used to, so the Kitco news items on the pmbug news page are just old (cached) items.

I looked at the new kitco site for an updated RSS feed address and they do list one, but it is not working presently. I tried sending them a note about it using the little feedback form at the bottom of the page on their site, but I'm not sure if that is really working or not. It seems like a lot of their site is not 100% functional at the moment.

Kitco website is still a broken mess (partially working).

~~~

I mentioned about a month ago that I had emailed the Institute for Justice about the feed being blocked from the pmbug server. I eventually ended up calling them on the phone and after a bit of phone tag eventually connected with the VP of Communications. He didn't seem that interested in expending any resources to investigate or troubleshoot the issue, but did offer to follow up with the website team if I could email to him the IP address our server uses. So I did (a few days before Christmas) and today, they unblocked our IP address and the RSS feed is resolving again. Huzzah!

Looks like the Kitco news feed is working again. The way the URLs are structured though, I would not be surprised if this is a temporary fix that might get changed again.

I removed the news feed from the Bank of England. It did not seem to report anything interesting.

Back
Top Bottom