PMBug now configured as a PWA

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Apparently this functionality has been available for a couple of years, but I didn't know about it. I discovered it this morning and got it configured. The configuration changes can take 24 hours or so to be recognized by mobile devices, so you might not see anything right away.

So what is PWA? PWA is an acronym for Progressive Web App. If you are browsing PMBug from a mobile device (Android/iOS phone/tablet), your browser, whenever it recognizes the new configuration, might ask you if you want to install PMBug as an app (and adding an icon to your home screen). If you elect to do so, it should create a PMBug icon on your device just like any other app, but it's essentially a shortcut to opening the browser and then browsing to the site. The main benefit for doing this is that your notifications will display overlayed on the app icon (separate from notifications that might be displayed on your browser icon for other sites you frequent).

Chrome browser on my Android phone has recognized the update and offered me the option to install. To find the install button, I clicked the main menu button at the top left of the page. The install button is at the bottom of the page in the menu area.

Rumor is that the developers will be releasing an update for this forum software in "days/weeks, not months" that will enable push notifications to work on iOS devices. This functionality is facilitated via the PWA set up from what I'm reading.

Back
Top Bottom