Real Estate and foreclosure thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's always a great time to buy a home.

It's always a great time to buy a home.
Hey lance,
Know a guy who bought a pre construction condo in 2006, 16 units in the building for 1.1 mil. 14 out of 16 people who put 100k down backed out and lost deposits as construction lagged into 2008. He persevered and closed, even with all the recent increase his value is 720k.... but to make matters worse the condo has a carry cost of almost 25k/year... so after 14 years he is down 350k of stronger dollars and 300k in fees...

The people who walked away were pretty darn smart..

Gonna get very ugly is what I think. If enough people lose their jobs or SS goes belly up how can you even pay property taxes?

You know it's like death by a thousand paper cuts, sometimes its better to just face it and deal with the fallout.. One thing is for sure, most markets AD Velorum has ratcheted up to match these ridiculous valuations.. so pay we will or take they will.

I have several customers who hate capital gains taxes, so much so they have been 1031ing like crazy over the last few years. Rolling silly gains into vastly over priced subject properties. At some point the bell tolls and in the case of several friends its the monthly expenses where they'll get hit. Yes they have a portfolio worth 20 mil on paper, but they have 50-70k a month in real expense. Worse yet all the properties are in the millions or multi guaranteeing maximum tax hit if they break them out. That would keep me up at night..

Property taxes and insurance are brutal when you own multiple properties.

Amen, in the case of condos you have monthly fees and assessments. Not sure what's happening in the sunshine state, but here the invasion from the NE has opened up condo boards to new expensive wants and absolutely gotta haves. So assessments and hoa increases are bigger and more frequent...

Funny how people escaping taxation insist on all the items that created it in the first place!

My oceanside properties are still on the market for sale. Had 1 deal fall thru.

Things are slow this month, but with SW FL wiped out we should have an historically high demand for rentals this season.

Thanks searcher,
Had not run into his vids... he's even more pessimistic than I am! Haven't had the time to keep this up, but needless its getting pretty bad out there, our market is running on fumes... Glad we are situated home wise, wouldn't have the energy to do a buy, sell, move and redo...

But not nearly as brutal as when you add in the cost of the mortgage. Taxes and insurance are forever but GEEEEZ those mortgage companies stick it to ya.

. Glad we are situated home wise, wouldn't have the energy to do a buy, sell, move and redo...

I'm in the middle of that right now. Home is bought and paid for at our new location. Almost ready to put our home here in NM up for sale. Having some minor repairs done next month. Hoping everything doesn't go completely to shit over the next 3-4 months. April is our time frame/ Our house here is nice with excellent curb appeal and should sell quickly. I think we are relatively well prepared for a move halfway across the country

RISMEDIA, October 5, 2009—The latest chapter in the mortgage meltdown is being written in court, as one by one, judges are putting a halt to foreclosures. The latest was a recent Kansas Supreme Court case. In Landmark National Bank v. Kesler, the court held that a nominee company called MERS had no standing to bring a foreclosure action.

Nor was Kansas the first. In August 2008, Federal Judge for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada ruled MERS had no standing. ”Indeed, the evidence is to the contrary, the Note has been sold, and the named nominee no longer has any interest in the Note.”

In September of 2008, A California Judge ruling against MERS concluded, “There is no evidence before the court as to who is the present owner of the Note. The holder of the Note must join in the motion.”

On March 19, 2009, the Supreme Court of Arkansas determined that MERS was not the true beneficiary because the Note had been sold. Alabama and Florida have made similar rulings.

In each case, the reason stems from a fundamental misstep in the handling of Notes and Trust Deeds that runs contrary to established court policies which require that the real parties identify themselves to the court. Each of these cases involved MERS and, in each case, the courts’ rationales were almost identical.

First, a little background. Over the last 40 years, mortgage lending has evolved from a bank holding the mortgage to the mortgage being bundled and sold as part of an investment pool, usually in the form of a bond.

As a registered security, the Note is a negotiable instrument, like money or a cashier’s check, and under securities law that Note must be given to the investor. In this case, mortgage backed securities, (MBS) were bundled together in a pool and shipped to…well, we don’t really know.

One of the impediments to an MBS is the need to file assignments for the beneficiaries in each county each time the mortgage is resold. And apparently, no one holds them for very long because most have been passed around several times.

In order to avoid the logistical nightmare of trying to maintain a public chain of title, the biggest lenders joined MERS, Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc.

MERS was created with the sole intent of evading the recording fees due to the county in which the security is located.

In so doing, in my opinion, they also destroyed the age-old practice of making a public record of information concerning real property in general, and legal interest specifically. The chain of title is a vital record produced to resolve many a dispute.

Now, that’s gone. I believe, erased simply so they themselves, MERS, could siphon off the recording fees for themselves. They sold their business model to lenders as a better way to track mortgages that were being sold and resold all over the world.

But, as there often is with a BIG IDEA, there were also unintended consequences. Only now are they coming to light. Until MERS was challenged in a foreclosure proceeding, no one had taken a look at the law.

The law, according to a Nevada Judge, is that for purposes of foreclosure, both the Note and the Deed of Trust must be assigned. When the Note is split from the Deed of Trust, the Note becomes unsecured. A person holding only a Note lacks the power to foreclose because it lacks the security.

MERS lost track of the Notes. In some cases, according to my research, they deliberately destroyed them.

Every thing was fine until the economy contracted. MERS began foreclosing on delinquent home loans and then one day; someone said “show me the Note.”

In reviewing the judge’s rulings in the above matters, several key points have been determined:

• MERS is not the beneficiary of the Notes and has no skin in the game. It did not lend any money, collect any payments or do anything more than track the sale of the securities.

• Judicial procedure requires that parties identify themselves and prove their standing.

• Splitting the Note and Trust Deed leaves no party with standing to foreclose. The true holder of the Note, the security, paid the lender so the lender is covered. The true holder of the Note was insured by AIG so they are covered. AIG and the banks were bailed out by taxpayers. So, unless the American tax payer can produce a “blue-ink” original Note, no one has standing to foreclose.

• Allowing a foreclosure to proceed without the original Note places the homeowner in double jeopardy. If the original Note were to surface, the holder of the Note would be entitled to payment, but from whom? The borrower is still on the hook.

From the link:

Apair of weary Brooklyn landlords can’t catch a break from city building inspectors, who slapped them with new fines moments after authorities cleared the properties of squatters brought in by a convicted sex offender.

Just as the NYPD and a city marshal finally ousted 10 people who had been illegally living in Mohammad Choudhary and Boysin Lorick’s trio of dilapidated Neptune Avenue homes, the Buildings Department swooped in and issued $5,000 in violations, the landlords charged.

This is by design per Fed rate raising policy. The Fed wants to crush demand to kill inflation.
demand for housing?

They have a long way to go... Volker had it licked

Inflation emerged as an economic and political challenge in the United States during the 1970s. The monetary policies of the Federal Reserve board, led by Volcker, were widely credited with curbing the rate of inflation and expectations that inflation would continue. US inflation, which peaked at 14.8 percent in March 1980, fell below 3 percent by 1983.[21][22] The Federal Reserve board led by Volcker raised the federal funds rate, which had averaged 11.2% in 1979, to a peak of 20% in June 1981. The prime rate rose to 21.5% in 1981 as well, which helped lead to the 1980–1982 recession,[23] in which the national unemployment rate rose to over 10%. Volcker's Federal Reserve board elicited the strongest political attacks and most widespread protests in the history of the Federal Reserve (unlike any protests experienced since 1922), due to the effects of high interest rates on the construction, farming, and industrial sectors, culminating in indebted farmers driving their tractors onto C Street NW in Washington, D.C. and blockading the Eccles Building.[24] US monetary policy eased in 1982, helping lead to a resumption of economic growth.​

After a brief reprieve in the first half of December, mortgage interest rates shot up again to end the year, weighing on mortgage demand.

Mortgage application volume was down 13.2% at the end of last week from two weeks earlier, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association's seasonally adjusted index. The MBA was closed last week due to the holidays.

The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with conforming balances ($647,200 or less), for loans with a 20% down payment, increased to 6.58% from 6.34% two weeks prior. At the end of 2021, the rate was 3.33%.

Demand for refinancing, which is most sensitive to weekly interest rate changes, dropped 16.3% from two weeks earlier and was down 87% from the same period in 2021.

"Mortgage rates are lower than October 2022 highs, but would have to decline substantially to generate additional refinance activity," noted Joel Kan, an MBA economist.

Mortgage applications to purchase a home dove 12.2% from two weeks earlier and were down 42% year over year. They ended the year at the lowest level since 1996.

I started tracking Zillow Listing inventory for a couple medium sized Mid-west / Western cities. It could have been a settings issue but Listing inventory exploded ~50% in TWO weeks from 12/16 to 12/30.

Ok its weird and might be a Zillow thing limiting what you see. On the map tab I see for this community 627 agent Listings and 90 others. But if you go to the List page it says 986 Listings and 100 others. They might be limiting the numbers on the map for rendering purposes.

Last edited:
From the link:

Apair of weary Brooklyn landlords can’t catch a break from city building inspectors, who slapped them with new fines moments after authorities cleared the properties of squatters brought in by a convicted sex offender.

Just as the NYPD and a city marshal finally ousted 10 people who had been illegally living in Mohammad Choudhary and Boysin Lorick’s trio of dilapidated Neptune Avenue homes, the Buildings Department swooped in and issued $5,000 in violations, the landlords charged.

Most likely the landlords either didn't make a donation to a specific political party or donated to the wrong political party. NYC has always been corrupt but the level of Soviet style of corruption that has blossomed under DeBlasio and now Adams is unbelievable.

If you watch YouTube there is a guy named Lou Rossmann who had an electronics repair business in NYC and documented his battles with the NYC tyranny. Rossman's colorful language is amazing that YouTube hasn't given him the boot. Rossmann just moved his whole business to Austin, Texas. He's not the only one fleeing the Peoples Republic of Nuevo York or the confines of Niue Amsterdamnation.

Got this from SCLLR ...

"The South Carolina Real Estate Commission is aware of a rise in fraudulent sales and mortgages, most commonly associated with vacant lots. The scam targets unencumbered, vacant lots owned by persons out of state. With this scam, South Carolina real estate licensees may be contacted by a person acting as the seller seeking to have a vacant lot promptly sold for below market value."

search,
While not qualified to speak into every market, we currently in Charleston have 60% more inventory than last year. Approximately down 18% on price and home builders dropping prices and rolling out incentives.. Ran into the top dog at dr horton at the gas station and they were spreading positives like chicken poop.. So i ask how are your numbers? down.. I ask how much? to which they didn't respond...

We remain stuck, sellers believing in high values and buyers unwilling or unable to reach to complete... My belief is that sellers will blink first and as new comps roll through we will see much lower prices by fall, best guess down 30%

Last edited:
Most likely the landlords either didn't make a donation to a specific political party or donated to the wrong political party. NYC has always been corrupt but the level of Soviet style of corruption that has blossomed under DeBlasio and now Adams is unbelievable.

If you watch YouTube there is a guy named Lou Rossmann who had an electronics repair business in NYC and documented his battles with the NYC tyranny. Rossman's colorful language is amazing that YouTube hasn't given him the boot. Rossmann just moved his whole business to Austin, Texas. He's not the only one fleeing the Peoples Republic of Nuevo York or the confines of Niue Amsterdamnation.
I came across him a few months back interesting story.

BE

Around here (greater Phila area) houses are going up and people are buying. Not going up like they did several years back but going up.

There are sections in Philly that were depressed years ago that have been gentrified where row homes are outta this world. Kinda crazy but some row houses are 300K - 500K. And to be honest the neighborhoods aren't that great. Of course, some houses aren't moving due to pricing. And I think some people may be having problems getting a mortgage.

Here in the suburbs different prices depending on where your at.

Here's some examples:

NE Philly (some haven't moved)

Another thing is taxes. In Philly they have been going up but aren't as bad as here in the burbs. I have several friends who had nice places, sold them (made a profit) and moved. We're talking up state NY, VA, SC and Fla. They said their taxes are way lower than they were here.

Search,
Have a buddy who sold out from bucks county and rolled it all down here... 2 places bought 3 at a much higher level...

Taxes, we have both preferred rate and homestead on primary residences here. We pay a little over 2k on a 3/4 mil value, one county over it would be 4k with their school excesses... While we have a 7% state tax we overall pay a lot less than some sunshiny no tax states. Between point of sale, ad velorum, car and home insurance.. no tax can become mucho tax

BE

Guy from the old neighborhood - parents paid maybe 10 - 11K for house many moons ago (early 1960's.) They both pass away, he sells their place for around 173K in 2013 . New peeps keep place for around 7 years and sell the place for 245K. Now the place could probably get around 285K.

As for taxes.................lower Bucks is pretty high.

My friends who moved to SC (Manning) said they cut their taxes in half. Also made a nice profit on their old place. Nothing fancy but it's a nice place.

In the real estate world, Zillow is a market follower.

If you want reality, contact Realtors©. They will have current data.

I'm going to have to disagree there. Zillow works well and they scrape the data multiple times a day I'm sure. After all I DO pay for the somewhat crappy Realtors data. It has some additional details and a few good things but it's really not that much different. Besides, for a large sample Zillow still works great and as long as you track Zillow to Zillow inventory you are still comparing Apples to Apples.

Just a quick comparison in my area

County 1 MLS - 67 SF listings, Zillow shows 69 but I had to remember to get rid of Lots/Condos/Apts etc.
County 2 MLS - 44 SF listings, Zillow shows 45

Back
Top Bottom