Real estate market becoming purvue for straight cash homeys

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
RealtyTrac® ... today released its December and Year-End 2013 U.S. Residential & Foreclosure Sales Report, which shows that ...

All-cash purchases accounted for 42.1 percent of all U.S. residential sales in December, up from a revised 38.1 percent in November, and up from 18.0 percent in December 2012.

States where all-cash sales accounted for more than 50 percent of all residential sales in December included Florida (62.5 percent), Wisconsin (59.8 percent), Alabama (55.7 percent), South Carolina (51.3 percent), and Georgia (51.3 percent).

For all of 2013, 29.1 percent of U.S. residential sales were all-cash purchases, but the percentage trended substantially higher in the second half of the year. The 29.1 percent in 2013 was up from 19.4 percent in 2012 and 20.6 percent in 2011.

http://www.realtytrac.com/content/f...residential-and-foreclosure-sales-report-7967

cash_sales_interest_rates_dec_2013.jpg

Read on another forum:
Two things are going on--the primary cause is that hedge funds have gotten into property investment in a big way, and they are paying cash. The secondary reason is that many buyers who are having to compete against the hedge funds for the same property, but have the cash to do so but would prefer to finance, are paying cash to close quicker (using cash on hand or 401-K loans). These buyers may or may not then do a cash-out refinance to replenish savings.

Sounds like hedge funds are getting nervous about the equity markets, but aren't fleeing back to the manipulated (paper) gold markets (again).

looks like China is pretty much buying Detroit also. (house by house)

RealtyTrac®, the nation’s leading source for comprehensive housing data, today released its Q1 2014 U.S. Institutional Investor & Cash Sales Report, which shows the share of all-cash sales reached a new high in the first quarter even as the share of institutional investor purchases dropped to the lowest level since the first quarter of 2012.

The report shows 42.7 percent of all U.S. residential property sales in the first quarter were all-cash purchases, up from 37.8 percent in the previous quarter and up from 19.1 percent in the first quarter of 2013 to the highest level since RealtyTrac began tracking all-cash purchases in the first quarter of 2011.

More: http://www.realtytrac.com/content/f...itutional-investor-and-cash-sales-report-8052

I just read an article on ZH describing how the regular folks are not able to get financing and that the vulture funds and institutional investors are snapping up property at an unbelievable rate.

When I tried to buy up the house next door to me, the guy told me that if I wanted to buy a house, it had to be all cash and i had to buy a minimum of 3 residential properties before it was worth his while.

What a load of crap.

The ratio of cash purchases appears to be plateauing (and steady).

Back
Top Bottom