Russia hits back on the petrodollar

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Potemkin

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
The Russians are obviously upset and they are taking their revenge: Russia is ditching the dollar in selling oil...
http://www.primevalues.org/market-watch/russia-gold-ruble-delink-from-dollar.htm

And not only oil. They will sell natural gas, weapons for rubles.

That's it: the biggest producer of oil, natural gas and the second exporter-producer of weapons.

I see more dominoes falling.

This could finally boost gold's price. If the dollar goes down... But I think it'll take a few months, probably more than a year for the effects to become visible.

Perhaps stacking isn't such a bad thing after all?

If we put one single pair of boots officially on the ground in Ukraine, it's over for the dollar and Obama knows it. Well.......Valerie Jarrett knows it and told him so.

This time it's for real. It seems Russia not only has serious intentions, but really no way out.

They were heavily hit by the VISA-Mastercard sanctions and they have to respond.

Right now they are going to gain a lot if they start trading in rubles.

I suppose the west will respond to this as well. Trade wars, financial wars... like James Rickards says: currency wars too!

This time it's for real. It seems Russia not only has serious intentions, but really no way out.

They were heavily hit by the VISA-Mastercard sanctions and they have to respond.

Right now they are going to gain a lot if they start trading in rubles.

I suppose the west will respond to this as well. Trade wars, financial wars... like James Rickards says: currency wars too!

Either the idiots in control are deliberately destroying the U.S. or they are some of the stupidest people on earth. Didn't they learn anything in school?

You never pick a fight when you are weaker than your opponent. You will lose every time. We have deliberately made ourselves VISIBLY weak to the world at large by our RECKLESS irresponsible monetary policies. Then we pick a fight with a country with virtually UNLIMITED resources? What idiocy.

We are now at the point where the ONLY solution for our survival is to bite the bullet NOW before it is too late, assuming that we have not passed the point of no return already. That means IMMEDIATE monetary surgery, from the top to the bottom. That means STOPPING all government spending UNTIL the money is already in the bank. Of course, the takers in our society would riot and throw a fit destroying much of the infrastructure when "their" money is cut off. We would have a virtual civic war on our hands.

The alternative is foreign boots on our ground in a real war and even worse conditions. Our choices are to become another "Greece" now, or to lose our country to the jackboots of some foreign power shortly down the road.

If we would immediately return to the gold standard where every dollar is backed by a real asset, we would have serious internal problems for a few months/years, but we would survive. Doing that would stop Russia et alia in their tracks.

Of course, our politicians are too stupid/greedy/naive/traitorous/cowardly & whatever to ever do that. We get to pay the price. We elected them. Now OUR stupidity/greediness/cowardliness etc is coming back to bite us in the ass.

The next major crash is due in 2018/2019. I expect it to be the mother of all crashes for this country. Possibly the death knell for the United States.

Look what happen decades ago. Crash in 1929. Germany militarizing then invading Poland in 1939 starting WWII. Fast forward to today. Crash in 2008. Germany in the process of militarizing. What do you think might happen around 2018 or so? And WHO do you think the target will be THIS time? And WHY?

Maybe because we STOLE their gold? Maybe because we reneged on our debts through printing FAKE money? Maybe because we are so weak that we are easy pickings? Maybe because it is time for the bankers to CLAIM collateral for our debts? Maybe because they detest us because we won the last several wars against them? Maybe because 3000 years ago they conquered us and now it is time for them to do it again?

One thing is positive. No nation in history has ever been able to borrow money from their enemies to fight a war against those enemies. After the currency and trade wars that WE are starting that we cannot win, we will have NO money left to finance a war when those currency and trade wars morph into bloody wars. A nation CANNOT be strong militarily when they are weak economically. We will NOT be able to protect ourselves.

Do I like this scenario? Absolutely not. But that is the road we are on. Unless we get back on the straight and narrow, we are doomed. And I expect to live long enough to see it happen. I suspect that most of you are a lot younger than I am, so I am sure most of you will live to see the results of our stupidity.

The worst part is that I know of no nation in history that turned itself around once it started down this road. I don't see it happening now, either. And it saddens me to watch the greatest nation in the history of the world deliberately heading to the ash heaps of history.

The only good thing is that EVENTUALLY our people will again become a great nation elsewhere in the world. Similar things have happened to us in the past, and we always started over, but never in the lands that we were dispossessed from. Our peoples have been enslaved several times in the past, and will be enslaved again in the near future. Generations later we returned to the straight and narrow and became great again, only to fall a few generations later. We are repeating our history AGAIN. We never learn!

I'm stunned to see the guts the west has when provoking Russia.

Perhaps there's something else in the background - something we don't know.
Regardless of what the cause is or what the scopes are, it's foolish.

Jim Rickards was right about currency wars and trade wars. It is happening right now!

Russia is immense, sanctions don't make sense. They should look at the map before pinching them...

If they wouldn't have sanctioned the Russians, they would still sell oil and gas in US dollars!
Now, look what they've done...

Murka has got used to being top dog and running things to suit them.

For Russia to take the approach its taking, suggests that they really have no choice but make a stand at this time.

Top dog will want to reassert its position and not allow the underdogs to gang up on it .... It could get very messy.

At least we still have enough information available on the internet to allow us to take an overview and not get drawn into the 'official' take on things.

Russia and China will destroy the United States without firing a single bullet. By avoiding the dollar, they create an avenue with which any nation could conceivably bypass the US to make international purchases. We have lost most of our credibility in the world, and now we stand to lose our dollar hegemony. Our military is the only thing keeping them from coming in and foreclosing on our debts. We are fucked up beyond all repair at this point, and no amount of austerity can fix it.

The way to return ourselves to a more sane and prosperous nation is this:

Remove all of our personnel including civilians from all foreign soils around the world.
Withdraw from all wars/kinetic military actions/skirmishes worldwide.
Re-station all active troops on our southern border and fucking enforce our immigration laws.
Remove ALL illegals forcibly from our country, including ALL anchor children/babies.
Return ALL East African crazy ass refugees immediately.
Remove ALL muslim immigrants immediately.
All gang members currently in prison that are from a foreign nation are to be immediately deported and have their immigration status [if they are here legally] revoked.
End all operations by the TSA.
Completely disband the homeland security apparatus, that is the job of the National Guard.
Rewrite the tax code to be the same irrespective of whether it is money earned as salary, inherited or capital gain. A dollar is a fucking dollar so tax them as such.
End permanent welfare.
Require birth control for those on welfare or government dole until they return to the work force.
Void all for-profit prison contracts and return responsibility for prisons and jails to the states and counties.
Legalize marijuana. The laws as written are idiotic and byzantine.
Eliminate property taxes country wide and institute a tax scheme state by state at the sales level or Levy it on income. One percent should be sufficient.
Eliminate all government unions. They are not needed.
Eliminate Obamacare. It is not needed.
Require drug companies to allow insurance companies as well as the government to negotiate prices and make the lowest price the official price. No one pays more or less than anyone else.
Allow drugs to be imported from elsewhere if they are cheaper.
Break up the phone companies again. They are a monopoly.
Break up Microsoft and Apple. They are monopolies.
Break up the big power companies. They are monopolies.
Break up the cable companies. They are monopolies.
Break up the media conglomerates. There should be more than eight companies in charge of disseminating media in this nation. Require no less than two hundred separate entities. Companies like Disney are to be included in this break-up.
Begin shutting down all nuclear reactors in this country.
Re build the EPA in to a much smaller and far less powerful agency, they are out of control.
Downsize every federal agency by four fifths.
Eliminate the department of education, they educate no one.
Eliminate the Department of Transportation, they exist simply to skim enough tax money to fund their existence and they transport nothing.
Eliminate the department of the interior. They have forgotten that the land they purportedly manage belongs to
The People, and we did just fine for three hundred years without them.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea here.

The plan is so simple yet so impossible, since the government will never allow itself to be made smaller with the current structure and current oligarchy. However, when the balloon goes up, and there is blood in the streets, the gold vaults are empty and The People are hungry, it will end itself. Hopefully, the phoenix that rises from the ashes will be better than the shit pile we turned our Republic in to.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know much about politics, I just care for my safety, my wallet (which ain't big, that's for sure!)...

Recently the US dollar index was quite low, I bet it's because of this kick from the Russians!

ancona, that sounds like a great platform. I really like the idea of eliminating property taxes. If there are going to be property taxes, I believe it should be a one time tax like a sales tax. This perpetual tax of a citizens payed for property is a crock of :doodoo:.
I would like to ask why you would eliminate all nuclear plants?

The danger of a Fukushima type accident occurring here is too great. To this day it is the single most expensive way to generate power and we can never ever get rid of the wastes generated. We can run coal fired power plants and do so cleanly. This administration is full of environmental nazis that want to shut down all coal and oil fired power generation in this country, which will only end badly. Nuclear power generators in this nation are getting quite old as well. The crystal River plant needs so much repair work that FPL has decided to decommission it, a process that will take between twenty five and thirty five years. Guess who gets to pay for it? Florida rate payers, that's who.

When I was a kid, the saying was "It will be too cheap to meter", now we're finding out that the waste is forever and decommissioning a reactor costs tens of billions of dollars.

This administration is full of environmental nazis that want to shut down all coal and oil fired power generation in this country, which will only end badly.

Almost everything they are doing ONLY makes the problems worse, instead of better. This is true not only for nuclear, but for clean air, less pollution, logging, and on and on and on.

I just read an article in today's Oregonian where one of the state forests is being sold off piecemeal because the environuts have run up the costs of maintaining it so high that it is COSTING a local school district 3 million dollars per year to maintain it when it was originally set up to provide the school district with a stable, sustainable source of income. The school district is being forced to sell it off piecemeal to keep the school budget viable.

I find it absurd that one is required to "maintain" a fucking natural forest in the first place. To then read in the same paragraph that parts of it must be sold as a result is so far beyond absurd as to qualify fir The Onion.

We've officially gone full <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets>.

This seems like it might be significant:
As Bloomberg reports Russia "may unseal its $88 billion Reserve Fund and convert some of its foreign-currency holdings into rubles, the latest government effort to prop up an economy veering into its worst slump since 2009."

These are dollars which Russia would have otherwise recycled into US denominated assets. Instead, Russia will purchase even more Rubles and use the proceeds for FX and economic stabilization purposes.

"Together with the central bank, we are selling a part of our foreign-currency reserves,” Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said in Moscow today. “We’ll get rubles and place them in deposits for banks, giving liquidity to the economy."

Call it less than amicable divorce, call it what you will: what it is, is Russia violently leaving the ranks of countries that exchange crude for US paper.

More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-01-14/russia-just-pulled-itself-out-petrodollar

Well Well.........so let me get this straight, Russia is cutting off Ukraine from natural gas because they can't/won't pay for it. so.......we destabilize the entire region because Russia should just give it to them for free? The Ukraine is suddenly shocked to find out that they will have to pay for their gas, so they quit paying and begin to steal it from the pipeline? This whole thing is beyond absurd. In my opinion, Russia should cut the entire fucking flow off until someone with a modicum of intelligence steps up to the bargaining table. I see no reason for one country to subsidize another countries fuel needs because they wasted all their budget on silly shit.

While a lot of what I just wrote is exaggerated a bit and entirely sarcastic, if infuriates me that the US and EU are so intent on starting shit with Russia. This can only end badly.

yep.. they are basically telling Europe to go to hell. If they want their gas, they need to secure transit.

Russian President Vladimir Putin is on the verge of realizing a decade-old dream: Russian oil priced in Russia.

The nation’s largest commodity exchange, whose chairman is Putin ally Igor Sechin, is courting international oil traders to join its emerging futures market. The goal is to increase revenue from Urals crude by disconnecting the price-setting mechanism from the world’s most-used Brent oil benchmark. Another aim is to move away from quoting petroleum in U.S. dollars.
To attract traders, the Bank of Russia is preparing legislative amendments to grant non-Russian firms access to exchange-traded commodities and their derivatives, the financial industry regulator said in an e-mail. The bank will assist Spimex in starting futures to price oil for exports.

Russia’s largest oil companies, including Rosneft OJSC, Lukoil PJSC, and Gazprom Neft PJSC support the new futures and may become market makers, Spimex President Rybnikov said. He declined to name any trading firms outside of Russia, saying that the exchange has been in a dialogue with many market participants.
Moscow is not alone in its push to change global oil pricing. China, which vies with the U.S. as the world’s biggest crude importer, has spent two decades trying to introduce its own oil futures contact, now expected this year. Iran and Venezuela, members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, have called for trading oil in other currencies than U.S. dollars.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dream-realized-as-russia-to-price-its-own-oil

I struggle to keep up with where its all got to .....

Are any oil/gas producers actually selling their product in currencies other than US$ ?

and is there a non SWIFT transaction process that allows the process to NOT involve a conversion to US$ at some point ?

And if this is actually happening, why haven't they been invaded and had their gold stolen ?

Are any oil/gas producers actually selling their product in currencies other than US$ ?

Iran for sure (thanks to US sanctions). Rickards claims in his new book that Russia (an oil exporting nation) is (or was) actually buying oil from Iran and then re-exporting it to China.

and is there a non SWIFT transaction process that allows the process to NOT involve a conversion to US$ at some point ?

Well, they are in the process of building (at least) one. In the meantime, countries are just doing bilateral trade deals and FX swaps.

And if this is actually happening, why haven't they been invaded and had their gold stolen ?

Most of the major players (Russia, China) have nukes.

What stopped them doing bi lateral trades and FX swaps in the past ?

and why did they not invade Iran ?
Actually this still seems like a pivotal question ........

Something has changed.

Russia’s largest oil company Rosneft has set the euro as the default currency for all new exports of crude oil and refined products, as the state-controlled giant looks to switch as many sales as possible from U.S. dollars to euros in order to avoid further U.S. sanctions against it.

As of September, Rosneft is seeking euros as the default option of payment for its crude oil and products, Reuters reported on Thursday, quoting tender documents the Russian firm has published.

“Rosneft has recently adjusted all the new contracts for export supplies to euros,” a trader at a company that regularly procures oil from Rosneft told Reuters, adding that buyers have already been notified of the change.

Rosneft is the biggest oil exporter from Russia, selling around 2.4 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil, according to Reuters estimates.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-...-Company-Ditches-Dollar-In-New-Oil-Deals.html

Back
Top Bottom