Save those nickels

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://www.coinworld.com/articles/testimony-cites-savings-from-using-steel/

"Employing steel as the dominant component of a new alloy for the Roosevelt dime, Jefferson 5-cent coin and the America the Beautiful quarter dollars would reduce the costs of raw materials for the three denominations by 84 to 89 percent, Bosco said."

'Paul remarked that changing the composition of circulating coinage “fails to address the root cause behind currency debasement.” '

I say make them all out of carbon composits and be done with it. The whole premise of coinage in the first place is to provide a medium of exchange with a known value. Copper pennies and....well.......nickel nickles, are the last coins to actually have some real intrinsic value. Quarters and dimes are nothing more than clad copper and practically valueless. I say stop the charade and make them out of the cheapest possible materials, because at least then we will save some money on minting.

I say stop the charade and make them out of the cheapest possible materials, because at least then we will save some money on minting.

i say old chap, are you suggesting they debase our money ?

That would be so wrong !

Why, people would loose faith in it

then where would we be :noevil:

They should make them out of wood. Maybe people would wake up then.

...I say, to hell with that barbaric relic of coinage, stop minting them altogether! Especially, that these pesky scraps are NOT created as a debt to the vampire squid, thus they do not foster economic "progress" (into servitude).

Civilised people do not use coins!

(I'd hate to be deprived of small coins, though. I use them quite regularly in many DIY projects, drilling them through, and use as washers/spacers - it works out cheaper than buying ready made/prepacked washers, using these same coins! Talking about the nonsenses!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom