Important Server OS and PHP upgrade

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't think I'm gonna make it if it's down for more than 15 minutes. I need my fix man. The hookers and blow just don't do it for me anymore. I NEED PMBUG MAN!

You should tell us all about the back end... I'm sure some of us would find it interesting...?

It's this mystery we've come to know only from the front side here.

I see that the news page isn't working currently. The RSS feed (3rd party) script is throwing an error. I've reached out for tech support to assist in troubleshooting/fixing the problem. This doesn't affect the function of the forum itself, just the news page.

Not that it's a big deal here, but at the other place those news sources from outside (RSS?) would inundate any search made unless one would

Advance Search​
Search Threads​
Keywords (put in a word)​
Select minimum number of replies (1)​

all this to eliminate the RSS feeds from the results.

Personally, I never used them. I don't know anyone who did. FWIW

So, it appears that the 3rd party script I'm using to read/parse RSS feeds (CaRP) for the news page isn't playing nice with XF and PHP 8.0. I'm having to pay the developer that built a custom CaRP to XF integration to fix it as the CaRP developer is notoriously non-responsive to support tickets (maybe he answers in a few months, maybe not at all). This wasn't in the budget and hurts a bit, but the news page is too handy to let die.

but the news page is too handy to let die.
I've never used it... actually avoided it... if I'm thinking correctly it's the feed from the outside world? Google, Yahoo et al? (if so, it's fake news to me).

he CaRP developer is notoriously non-responsive to support tickets (maybe he answers in a few months, maybe not at all).
How about linking to one from some other site instead of dealing with incompetence?

I've never used it... actually avoided it... if I'm thinking correctly it's the feed from the outside world? Google, Yahoo et al? (if so, it's fake news to me).

How about linking to one from some other site instead of dealing with incompetence?
News page pulled (pulls when working) RSS feeds from:

gata.org (wasn't working previously - something peculiar about their RSS feed)
kitco.com
zerohedge.com
marketwatch.com
goldcore.com
bullionstar.com
mishtalk.com
James Rickard's blog (also not working previously - similar RSS feed issue as gata.org)
srsroccoreport.com
wolfstreet.com
tfmetalsreport.com
gold-eagle.com
jsmineset.com
Silver Doctors
harveyorganblog.com
kingworldnews.com

~~~

If I could find a better supported RSS feed reader/parser that does what CaRP does, I'd use it.

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
Not that it's a big deal here, but at the other place those news sources from outside (RSS?) would inundate any search made unless one would

Advance Search​
Search Threads​

all this to eliminate the RSS feeds from the results.

Personally, I never used them. I don't know anyone who did. FWIW
Hated them clogging up the search with a passion. Nobody ever read/replied to a single one of those anyway.

Awesome. News page is fixed and all the feeds are now resolving.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that hasn't a clue where to find that News page feeds list?

Advance SearchSearch ThreadsKeywords (put in a word)Select minimum number of replies (1)
If this could be the 'drop off' place when hitting the "Search" button above that would save me from having to click 3 times to get there.

Advance Search
Search Threads

Not sure that could be programmed thus? It's a more powerful search feature IMO.
Hated them clogging up the search with a passion. Nobody ever read/replied to a single one of those anyway.
me too which is why I disparaged 'that' particular RSS list.... search a subject and dang if 10 pages of RSS feeds nobody ever looked at appeared. Then one would have to go 'Advanced' as mentioned above to filter out those to 'find' the local posts with at least 1 reply. A total waste of bandwidth IMO.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that hasn't a clue where to find that News page feeds list?

'News' in the main menu. On PC, it's in the top of page menu. On mobile, it's in the pop up menu from the top left icon (3 horizontal lines).

Last edited:
That's fine. I use it. Very helpful to stay tuned in to numerous voices in one place. BTW, IIRC the feeds update every hour.

I clicked on NEWS above and there seems to be a bit of a lag... 1 sec vs the other links to either side which are 'snappy'.

Not sure you need to know that, but I thought I'd mention it.

Oh yeah. That's normal. Even with caching, there are a lot of feeds being processed.

Back
Top Bottom