Sprott's call for silver miners to re-invest in silver a ploy to force physical supply shortages

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

More: http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page32?oid=141088&sn=Detail&pid=110649

Sprott wants to break the paper markets and set silver free.

I think that is an accurate assessment of the situation. Sprott isn't alone. I expect these exchanges to "change the rules" to buy themselves more time (MF global might have been that) but that will only last so long.

It's happening.

To be able to do that they need to have enough other cash flow to keep the mines operating - once they get over that hump, they can go to town...but not before. Which is why nearly bankrupting them was so important in some quarters.

To be able to do that they need to have enough other cash flow to keep the mines operating - once they get over that hump, they can go to town...but not before. Which is why nearly bankrupting them was so important in some quarters.

True enough, but what I liked most of all came at the bottom of the article.

The bottom line is that we don't need $50 silver to make money with silver miners. Many of the best-of-breed silver miners are baseline profitable at $15 silver or even lower in some cases.

I don't have a problem with highly leveraged, unprofitable mines being temporarily swept aside. That's not good for those mines, but it has always been good for silver in the long run, as it is one more way to break the backs of manipulators.

Silver manipulators are the ones who have a stake in making sure that there is a steady supply to feed the Ponzi side of silver. It is NOT in their interest to see silver mines fail, and that in turn insures a steady long-term increase in price. Just enough to keep them on a viable but difficult treadmill, but hopefully no more (in the minds of short manipulators who want to keep the price low). If silver is on a run, and the mid-tier mines hoarding example takes hold, with other mines following suit, it will raise the floor, but create the stockpile that feeds the next correction. I get that, but I'm encouraged by the fact that such stockpiling may become habitual - which feeds the volatility necessary for a decoupling and hopefully eventual ceiling collapse.

I generally agree, but think we'll just have to watch and see how it all plays out. Big stockpiles around mean that it could be sold all at once cheap if there's a reason to do that (like survival), depressing the price. It would also set a ceiling, since high prices might encourage sales of those stockpiles. Greed is reasonably universal.

More:

Comment from SilverDoctor where I found the videos:
http://silverdoctors.blogspot.com/2012/01/ceo-brad-cooke-on-why-endeavour-silver.html

Another miner agrees with Sprott's call:
http://www.miningweekly.com/article/mcewen-holds-33-of-treasury-in-gold-and-silver-2012-03-15

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…