The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Record high gold price over the weekend, but average attendance again at our local coin show. Dealers raised their prices though probably anticipating PMs going up.

The most important things to watch in my mind are the VIX and bond markets. And bonds are getting routed, meaning interest rates are heading up. That's bad news for the old regime.

Schizo markets aren't sure what's happening any more.

Bears!
By Tatiana Darie, Bloomberg markets live reporter and strategist

The stocks selloff is displaying features that were often seen back when shares plunged in 2022, which is a warning for equities now.

The S&P 500 has fallen for seven of the past 11 trading sessions through Monday, leaving its hit ratio — the amount of daily gains as percentage of total trading days — at 36.4%, on pace for its weakest since December 2022.

Bulls!
U.S. stock futures were higher on Wednesday morning after the S&P 500 notched its third straight day of losses.

Futures tied to the S&P 500 climbed 0.3%, while Nasdaq-100 futures gained 0.1%. Dow Jones Industrial Average futures advanced 47 points, or 0.1%.
Mayfield sees equities trading mostly range-bound in the near term, with an exception being if any geopolitical event spikes oil prices even higher.

"The primary headwind is the hawkish repricing of Fed expectations. I don't think Fed Chair Powell did much to ease those concerns today, perhaps intentionally," he told CNBC. "The market is getting to a place where it's questioning whether there will be a rate cut at all in 2024."

Meanwhile, gold keeps plugging along.

"When we do the risk assessment around that baseline, the chances that we would have something like a global recession is fairly minimal. At this point, it will take a lot to derail this economy. So there has been tremendous resilience in terms of growth prospects," Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas, economic counsellor and director of the research department at the IMF, told CNBC's Karen Tso on Tuesday at the group's meeting in New York.

I wonder if Pierre-Olivier is related to Jim Cramer... :paperbag:

Thanks for the links! Good stuff!

I will just posit that a mysterious buyer being true does not refute a commodities super-cycle.

And a commodities super-cycle does not refute there being a mysterious price-insensitive buyer.

IMHO, if cycles exist (and they seem to), they can probably be explained in real time by the actions of individual entities that *cause* them to occur.

Just some thoughts. I certainly see geopolitical events on the horizon to support "mysterious" buyers at this time. Good stuff.

Mysterious buyer theory does make the cost of popcorn go higher. :popcorn:

People, average Joe on the street types... are waking up to reality...?

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is hardly an average Joe on the street - he's very well connected and largely seen as a mouthpiece for the BoE and friends, but yeah, it's a bit surprising to see these topics covered in a MSM publication.

Markets seem to have reverted all the kneejerk reaction to the Isael attacking Iran news last night. I suppose things will trade normally until the next escalation. :noevil:

We're gonna be rich! RICH! I tell ya... I'll be toothless, but RICH!!

War fears keeping gold in high consolidation around $2400​

Within six weeks after the major breakout above $2100, gold has gone through $2300 and quickly moved over $2400, suggesting that $2500 is within sight. After soaring to nearly $2450 last Friday, Gold Futures made a strong $75 reversal but not a key reversal, as gold prices did not take out the low of the previous day.

Gold appears set to close a fourth consecutive week above its upper weekly Bollinger Band, an algorithm designed to keep price action between an upper and lower level 95% of the time. The gold price is now consolidating inside of a symmetrical triangle with resistance on last Friday's high at $2450, and support on the following Comex session low at $2340.

So gold does not grow on trees, but it does spew from the ground. #inflationary! /SoundMoneyCritic

In the end, all they are doing is squeezing leverage out of the market. The buyers wanting physical are just going to get it at a better price.

Back
Top Bottom