Thief steals $1.5 of gold out of truck.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
Wasn't me!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...in-nyc/ar-BBwRsYG?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

I am dubious on one point in the story.

This box/barrel/tin was supposed to weigh 86 pounds but then they wrote - "The truck’s surveillance cameras caught a suspect lifting a container and sprinting off east on 48th St, sources said."

Sprinting with even a well balanced 86 pound rucksack is usually a sprint in name/effort only. Carrying it in a big metal box or barrel? I don't think anyone was really interested in stopping him IMO. :judge:

Also assuming regular pounds, 86 pounds = 1,254.167ozt x $1315/ozt ~current spot price = $1,649,229.61

Last edited:
Did a search for "five gallon drum" and found this for sale:

5_gallon_closed_top1.jpg

Width is 10", height is 15" and length is 11".

http://arizonabarrels.com/5_gallon_closed_top_barrels_drums.html

Not sure if it's the same type as the one mentioned in the story, but it does have a handle on it.

Still, not easy "sprinting" while carrying 86 lbs in your hands I would think.

Even if that handle can hold 86 pounds jerking up and down while running, you better have one strong hand to be able to carry that slippery plastic while running with it. I would think he would have had to switch to 2 hands at some point. I'd like to see the video, I bet if anyone was nearby they made no attempt to hinder his escape. I guess that's NYC though. Around here there would have been at least 5 people trying to either tackle him or at least stick a foot out to trip him. The story first says "barrel" then later says "tin". So that would imply it's some sort of metal box/barrel. Then again, when does the media bother with facts much anymore?

Last edited:
Another thing I find curious, a pint of water weighs just over a pound, (1.04375 lbs) so 5 gallons (40 pints) of water would weigh 41.75 lbs. Pure water has a density (weight or mass) of about 1 g/cu.cm, 1 g/ml, 1 kg/litre, 1000 kg/cu.m, 1 tonne/cu.m or 62.4 lb/cu.ft
Gold has a density (weight or mass) of about 19320/kg/cu.m. That's almost 20 times the density of water, now granted if it was dust and small pieces there will be air trapped in the voids between, but not nearly enough to make it only roughly twice the weight of water. The more I think about this story, the fishier I find it. Like the whole Kim whats her face married to the bankrupt rapper. They need money and all of a sudden $10mil in jewels get stolen? Something doesn't smell right there either IMO. :redherring:

Amount: 1 cubic foot (cu ft - ft3) of gold volume
Equals: 1,203.74 pounds (lb) in gold mass

http://www.traditionaloven.com/meta...ubic-foot-cu-ft-gold-to-pound-lb-of-gold.html

Messing around with their calculator (and assuming that it is correct - math not double checked / verified), 86 lbs of gold dust would have an approximate volume of 0.072 cubic feet. 0.072 cubic feet is 124.416 cubic inches. That's roughly 5x5x5 inches. I assume they probably have the dust packaged in some heavy mylar and possibly some packaging filler (popcorn/styrofoam), so the actual container might be a bit larger, but they definitely don't need a "5 gallon drum" (that's roughly 1 cubic foot) to store/transport 86 lbs of gold dust.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/meta...ubic-foot-cu-ft-gold-to-pound-lb-of-gold.html

Messing around with their calculator (and assuming that it is correct - math not double checked / verified), 86 lbs of gold dust would have an approximate volume of 0.072 cubic feet. 0.072 cubic feet is 124.416 cubic inches. That's roughly 5x5x5 inches. I assume they probably have the dust packaged in some heavy mylar and possibly some packaging filler (popcorn/styrofoam), so the actual container might be a bit larger, but they definitely don't need a "5 gallon drum" (that's roughly 1 cubic foot) to store/transport 86 lbs of gold dust.

I could see it being in a bag inside a barrel/box, but not sure about a bunch of padding packaging for dust? I'm officially calling shenanigans on this story! :mrt:

Looks like a lot of people are also calling shenanigans on the kardashian "robbery". Once again, the crazy old man is ahead of his time!

86 lbs densely packed is not difficult to move.
In a five gallon bucket, not so easy.
Observing the extraction from the tailgate, there is no head, neck, upper body, shoulder, mid-section, core muscle 86 lb load adjustment.
I hand pumped water as child and carried 1/2 filled then full 5 gallon(40 lb each) to house for drinking water.
80 lbs gets heavy very quickly and requires spine positioning before, during, and after endeavor.
The initial adrenaline lift "can" look weightless, his breaks do not look like 86 lbers.
I continue to carry 80 lbs of water from grocery.
Two 2.5 gallon under each arm, just hold lower ones handle with #2 pressed to side under arm.
I could walk the ten blocks without a break, aside from one side to other, with 86 lber.

Secondly, the slide from the truck.
Unless the bed of truck is silicone, that bucket was not 86lbs, or Newton was wrong.

Last edited:
In the two months since the theft, the police and the armored-car company have gone to great lengths to find the thief and the contents of the bucket: misshapen bars of melted, scrap gold worth $1.6 million. The buckets were first described as containing gold flakes, but actually, they held rough-edged bars, a mixture of scrap gold and impurities, from several locations. The bars, about the size of an ice-cube tray with identifying numbers scrawled across them with a Sharpie, are easier to transport than loose flakes.

Interviews with investigators last week brought new information. The police believe the man has entered the country illegally from Ecuador several times, said Kevin P. Harrington, a former deputy chief in the New York Police Department who represents a security company working on the case with detectives and Loomis.

Detective Martin Pastor with the department’s Major Case Squad said the man was believed to have been casing the diamond district area looking for a truck to steal from, and had not simply happened upon a momentarily empty truck. “He was observing the vehicle, pacing back and forth,” Detective Pastor said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/04/n...away-retracing-a-weighty-gold-theft.html?_r=1

tsk tsk

86 lbs ! Thats not a single person lift.
He shoulda done his risk assessment and asked for assistance.

Interesting that he seems to have got away with it too (-:

A suspected thief accused of stealing a bucket filled with $1.6 million in gold flakes off an armored truck in New York City has been apprehended in Ecuador.

After a search that spanned thousands of miles across two continents over the course of months, authorities arrested Julio Nivelo Thursday.

After surveillance video allegedly first captured Nivelo walking away with an 86-pound bucket of gold flakes in September, authorities followed a trail from the Big Apple to Orlando then California until they finally made their way to Nivelo's native country.

It is not clear what happened to his bucket of gold.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alleged-nyc-bucket-gold-thief-134800051.html

Watching that video, the bucket doesn't look like it weighs anywhere near the 86+ pounds they claim. He's holding it on the bottom with the tips of his fingers with 1 hand! The other he has resting on the side, more like balancing something that is oversized, but not overly heavy. Something is very fishy here IMO. If they had all this video, why did they wait so long for him to get away to "Florida" allegedly? You would put a HUGE theft like that right away with the guys face plastered everywhere so he couldn't go 2 blocks without being noticed. Still calling B.S. on this story.

Celtic gold coins worth millions stolen from German museum​

Story by Deutsche Welle • Yesterday 3:28 PM

Staff at the museum in Manching, a town in Bavaria, discovered a broken display case. Authorities said a daring heist occurred in the early hours Tuesday.Employees at the Roman-Celtic museum in the Bavarian town of Manching discovered a broken display case with 450 Celtic coins valued at several million euros looted in the early hours Tuesday.

Read the rest here:

I could sprint with a bucket full of Gold and I'm a stove up old bastard. Silver wouldn't be worth the effort but Gold, fuck yeah watch me!

Ok, I am NOT a grammar nazi, but am I the only one who noticed that the headline says that the thief stole a buck fifty worth of gold from the back of the truck?

Seems to me you wouldn't even see that amount.

That's about three quarters of a grain (not a gram, a GRAIN) of 14 K (not 24K) gold.

Coin Show Theft Of $100,000 In Rare Coins Seems IMPOSSIBLE Unless....​

SalivateMetal
Jan 19, 2023

A BOLD theft of rare coins in front of onlookers at a coin show. Something fishy here. I have a CRAZY conspiracy theory as to what happened. (just having a little fun) 11:34

Wow. Multiple chairs on top of the table. That's some pretty foolproof security right there. Couldn't have possibly been more secure unless he had them in a cardboard box in a garage next to his Corvette. 🤣

Police recover $1 million worth of gold and silver after teenagers get caught mid-heist in Toronto

(Kitco News) Police in Toronto recovered $967,811 (CAD $1.295 million) worth of precious metals after four teenage boys got caught "in the act" of robbing a store last month.

According to the police, three masked teenagers entered a precious metals store on Bloor Street in Toronto as the fourth suspect waited in the car.

More:

Sal's take:

Caught In The Act! Teens Steal $1 MILLION In Silver & Gold​

10:33

🚨 Scumbag Alert! 🚨 Please Help Stop These Coin Criminals!​

SpegTacular
Feb 5, 2023

4:49

Video of THIEVES at a Coin Show Stealing THOUSANDS in GOLD!​

Premiered 21 hours ago

7:09

Two people were charged in connection with the thefts of rare coins and bullion coins mailed to customers from Beaumont, Texas. One of the suspects was an employee of the United States Postal Service who is now awaiting federal sentencing along with forfeiture of funds. The other suspect was her adult son who died before he could be tried in state district court or agree to a plea deal.

LILLEY: Major gold heist at Pearson, movie plot turns reality in GTA​

At this point, investigators don’t know who stole the gold

Author of the article:
Brian Lilley
Published Apr 20, 2023 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 4 minute read

It’s the kind of stuff movies are made of — a robbery from a supposedly secure facility, a huge amount of gold now missing and a mystery about who is behind it.

Except this isn’t the script of a movie, it’s something that happened at Canada’s biggest airport this week.

Peel Regional Police have enlisted the help of the RCMP following a massive gold heist at Pearson airport. Earlier this week, someone made off with 3,600 pounds of gold being moved through the airport. Pearson is often used to move gold mined in Ontario to customers around the world.

More:

^^^^^

All The Gold Could Be GONE!! New Details In Stolen $20 Million Gold Case!​

Apr 26, 2023

12:24

Celtic gold coins worth millions stolen from German museum​

Story by Deutsche Welle • Yesterday 3:28 PM

Staff at the museum in Manching, a town in Bavaria, discovered a broken display case. Authorities said a daring heist occurred in the early hours Tuesday.Employees at the Roman-Celtic museum in the Bavarian town of Manching discovered a broken display case with 450 Celtic coins valued at several million euros looted in the early hours Tuesday.

Read the rest here:

Eight months after the spectacular theft of gold coins from the Celtic-Roman Museum in Manching in Bavaria, German police said Wednesday that four suspects were arrested.

The Bavarian Criminal Police Office announced in Munich that the suspects were arrested during a police operation in the greater Schwerin area, located in Germany's northeastern state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

The arrests were made on Tuesday. Investigators said there was an "overwhelming burden of proof" in the case.

They recovered part of the loot. Sounds like they got the goods on the perps.

$200,000 worth of stolen gold bars found during traffic stop in Wyoming County​

WARSAW, N.Y. (WIVB) — Over $200,000 worth of allegedly stolen gold bars were found during a traffic stop in Wyoming County last month, according to the Wyoming County Sheriff’s Office.

On July 25, deputies said the bars were found during a routine traffic stop on State Route 20A near Toolhouse Road in the Town of Warsaw. A search found a backpack full of gold on the front seat of a vehicle being driven by 28-year-old Jaspreet Singh of Queens. The gold was made out to be worth $208,226, and multiple torn UPS packages with the name of an elderly Orchard Park man on them were discovered in the backseat.

More:

Sal's take:

The shock Toronto airport heist of $20 million in gold bars — weighing 400.19 kilograms — along with US$2 million in cash was as easy as walking into Air Canada’s cargo facility, showing a false waybill, and leaving with the enormous haul, according to a lawsuit filed in court.

It was gone 42 minutes after it was unloaded from a plane arriving from Switzerland and transferred to a supposedly secure warehouse on the periphery of Toronto’s Pearson airport, according to the statement of claim.

The theft, one of the largest in Canadian history, remains unsolved by police. Brink’s, a secure transport company, is now suing Air Canada over the lost loads.

The lawsuit paints the clearest picture yet of how April’s airport gold heist was allegedly pulled off after months of institutional silence from police, the airline, and others involved in the theft that made headlines around the world.

More:

^^^^^
Great stuff for a movie. Be neat as hell to know what the peeps involved are doing now.

Silver in this one.

Two Bentonville men plead not guilty to stealing $100,000 in silver coins​

BENTON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — A pair of Bentonville men arrested for stealing $100,000 in silver coins from a 15-year-old boy after luring him from his home have pleaded not guilty.

Nathaniel Tyler Archer, 28, and Nicholas Patrick Padgett, 30, were arrested on April 24 this year.

Archer is charged with theft by receiving, bestiality and distributing, possessing or viewing matter depicting sexually explicit conduct involving a child.

Padgett is charged with theft by receiving.

According to an affidavit, the Bentonville Police Department received an assistance request from the Adams Township Police Department in Pennsylvania in locating Padgett and Archer with active warrants for interference with custody of children, receiving stolen property and theft by unlawful taking or disposition.

More: https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/tw...ot-guilty-to-stealing-100000-in-silver-coins/

10:50

Some crazy shit in this one.

DYING For Gold!​

Dec 21, 2023

Some people don't think when there's an opportunity to get free gold, even by nefarious means!

13:39

More:

Montreal and Toronto-area police are investigating whether the surprise seizure of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gold during a firearms raid in the east-end of the city Tuesday is connected to last April’s daring $20-million gold heist at Toronto’s Pearson Airport, the Montreal Gazette has learned.

“The investigative team assigned to this case is aware of the seizures in Montreal and is working with the lead investigators from the SPVM and respective policing partners in Quebec to determine if there is any connection with our investigation,” Tyler Bell-Morena, a spokesperson for the Peel Regional Police, said in an email Friday afternoon.
On Tuesday, Montreal police stumbled upon a huge cache of gold while carrying out what was intended to be a raid to seize illegal firearms. Police arrested seven people and grabbed nine firearms, a kilogram of cocaine, and a kilo and a half of methamphetamine. They also confiscated $500,000 in cash and “a large quantity of gold.”

“The exact value of the precious metal seized has yet to be determined, but is estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars,” the SPVM declared in a statement.

More:

Christmas Eve Gold Heist: Thief Caught on Camera Stealing From Oregon Museum​

A golden mystery is unfolding in Oregon. Knewz.com has learned it’s centered at a museum, and the suspect left footprints, but few clues.

Authorities received an alarm alert before dawn Sunday, December 24, at the Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals west of Portland.

Security video indicates someone wearing a mask broke a window with a sledgehammer around 2:20 a.m.

Then he went to a display case, broke the glass and stole “numerous gold items,” the Washington County Sheriff’s Office said. The case clearly was marked as containing “Gold!!”

More:

Christmas Eve Gold Heist: Thief Caught on Camera …

Back
Top Bottom