Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GeorgeTakeiOhMy.gif

Last edited:

I wish I knew what this meant for us stackers.

Anyone have a crystal ball?

I wish I knew what this meant for us stackers. ...
No crystal ball, but my expectation is:

Should CBDCs be well received - physical metal (stacks) will continue to be attractive liquid assets for storing wealth. Not much different from today

Should CBDCs be rejected - either fiat paper returns us back to day's status quo, or stacks become immensely popular for black market bartering

Back in September (post # 641) and October, news broke on some projects aiming to develop an alternative to SWIFT for CBDCs. Looks like there is another contender throwing a hat into the ring:

Long post addressing some current developments with reserve currency machinations:

https://www.ft.com/content/5347d263-7f24-4966-8da4-79485d1287b4

h/t: https://gata.org/node/22400

Russia’s intentions are clarifying​

Jan 26, 2023 · Alasdair Macleod

We have confirmation from the highest sources that Russia and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) are considering using gold for pan-Asian trade settlements, fully replacing dollars and euros.

In an article written for Vedomosti, a Moscow-based Russian newspaper published on 27 December, Sergey Glazyev, a prominent economic adviser to Vladimir Putin who is heading up the Eurasian Economic Union committee charged with devising a replacement for dollars in trade settlements sent a very clear signal to that effect. It appears he will drop earlier plans to design a new commodity-linked trade currency because it has been superseded.

More:

Chinese media says that China and Russia are weaponizing gold.

news broke on some projects aiming to develop an alternative to SWIFT

Russia and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) are considering using gold for pan-Asian trade settlements, fully replacing dollars and euros.

If all this stuff comes to pass and is shown to be workable, who is going to be buying US bonds so that our gov can still pay it's bills?

Will the gov start requiring all 401k's and ira's to be invested in gov bonds?

~~~

Roubini says dollar to lose world reserve currency status over the next decade:

h/t: https://gata.org/node/22421

Anonymous sources, so it could be total bullshit.

Link to paper:

"Wallets would be anonymized on the central bank's ledger to address privacy concerns and the digital currency would be non-programmable, meaning authorities can't control how people spend their money."

Yes, for now. To get people to use it, it'll have to have anonymous wallets and be non-programable. Those things will come later on as a result of some crisis, either real or conjured up by the authorities as an excuse to start implementing such things.
...but only after it's been widely adopted and people rely on it.

It's called mission creep. Things start out one way, but then morph into something else. It is in fact a large part of the reason as to why our government is the way it is today.

BRICS expansion may not happen quickly:

When "Britannia Ruled the Waves" was over it took 30 years for the Pound to die out and for the USD to become "The World's Reserve Currency".
I expect the same time frame for the usd's demise.
When the 30 yr. clock began ? IDK
The US has already went bankrupt 5 times, Britain and France 8 times each.

Re: BoE's digital pound:

Last edited:
The OP of this thread details how momentum for the clock started building in the aftermath of the 2008 crisis. There was building sentiment then, but I think critical mass for inertia wasn't really achieved until the US started threatening countries with SWIFT lockouts.

I think critical mass for inertia wasn't really achieved until the US started threatening countries with SWIFT lockouts
It's just one more step along the path to ultimate failure that was originally embarked upon in '33.*

What we're seeing is the journey down that path speeding up as it nears its end. Re: your swift comment. That is empire resorting to force in order to maintain that empire. It's just one of the steps that is taken in such circumstances.

* ever since then, it's been nothing but one band-aid solution after another for problems that all have their root in what was done to fix the supposed cause of the great depression.

Had gov always done what it was supposed to have been doing since its Founding, none of it would have had to happen, and we'd still be on a gold standard.

Like the fall of the USSR these things degrade slowly then it happens all at once. It gets very hard to say that any given point in the tread was the point of no return. Flawed systems fail, most all human systems are flawed, they only tend to work while the humans are conscientious about keeping them working as designed.

2c

What the Central Banks Know That You Don’t – Lynette Zang​

00:00 Why are central banks buying gold?
3:00 China’s gold reserves myth
6:02 New monetary system
7:14 What does the U.S. plan to do?
9:53 Are new central bank digital currencies coming soon?
10:55 Will 2023 be the year when CBDC be introduced?
13:30 Libor to SOFR
14:20 How does a crisis impact people’s everyday life?
15:58 Chinese spy balloons
18:18 U.S.-China war
19:21 The State of the Union address
21:28 What will the Fed go from here?
23:25 Will 2023 be a different market for gold?
27:07 Wall Street has adopted bitcoin

If they don't use a blockchain, what are they going to use?

A recent top economic advisor for President Joe Biden, Daleep Singh, told U.S. senators on Tuesday that the administration was in active pursuit of a digital dollar as a means to crowd out private cryptocurrencies ...

Argentina diary: ‘Come armed with $100 bills’​

3 days ago

Food prices posted outside a greengrocer’s shop in Buenos Aires amid a surge in inflation © Bloomberg
All dollars are equal, but some dollars are more equal than others. At least that’s certainly the case in Argentina, where a single $100 note buys you more pesos than two $50 notes or — worse than that — 20 crumpled $5 notes.

Argentine friends had been unequivocal as I headed their way: live by the day and live by the dollar. Leave your credit card in your wallet, don’t go near an ATM, and come armed with US dollars in cash that you can change into pesos on the ground. Not just any dollars, crisp $100 dollar bills. They weren’t exaggerating.

Full:

Source link

BRICS expansion may not happen quickly:

Well, color me surprised...

Everyone begins to see how they have been played and that they have been goaded into conflict by the usual suspect (s)
And once you see it, you realise the best way to pay back is to get closer to those you were convinced were your enemy.

Same thing happening with India and China over a order dispute.

There really is a waking up and realigning of geopolitical plates and the old order is not amused.
The danger of an over reaction is high.

NYPost offers a decent state of affairs report summarizing a lot things presented in this thread:

In the wake of Saudi-Iran diplomacy, the US is ratcheting up aggression against Iran in Syria.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…