Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Why would it not work?

To have cbdc's truly be able to replace cash, it would have to be able to work offline.
...just not fully offline, as in forever.

Digital dollars could be exchanged between users offline, but as soon as either wallet were back online, the transaction would register with the mother ship.
Ie: your wallet/device would need to be pre-loaded with digital dollars that you can then transfer to someone else's device offline.

Why would it not work?

If a CBDC system employs the same framework as any existing cryptocurrency, transactions have to be recorded in a blockchain (distributed ledger). The whole point of consensus models (proof os work, proof of stake, etc.) is to prevent double spending issues (whether honest mistakes or dedicated network attacks).

I don't currently understand how a CBDC system can work with offline transactions and be secure against double (multiple) spending. Without transactions being recorded on the network, what is preventing an actor from spending they same balance multiple times? It might get resolved once access to the network is available, but that isn't going to help folk/merchats that accepted offline payments that wont clear.

It's possible that the brains at the BIS have thought out a clever solution to the issue, but I have not read their paper yet.

A cbdc is not a crypto.

Did you see the graphic in the link you posted?

Notice in each scenario it requires purse A to be pre-loaded with "value"?

That "value" would necessarily be some small piece of code (encrypted and serialized) that represents each of the digital "dollars" loaded onto the device.
....and then those bits of code could be transferred to other authorized "purses". In that way it would be similar to how you transfer dollars offline. Ie: with a serialized piece of paper that originally came from the bank via a withdrawal from someone's account.

In this case, you would withdrawal a piece of code instead of a piece of paper.

What the device or purse as they call it, will consist of, is at this point unknown. It's obviously not going to work the same as the crypto's we already know and love.

How they will prevent hackers and others from trying to manipulate that withdrawn code, is at this point also unknown.

Bold emphasis is mine:
More (very long):

I guess we are all going to need space suits...

More:

Backlash Against Weaponized Dollar Is Growing Across the World​

Fri, June 2, 2023 at 9:41 AM EDT

(Bloomberg) -- All around the world, a backlash is brewing against the hegemony of the US dollar.

Brazil and China recently struck a deal to settle trade in their local currencies, seeking to bypass the greenback in the process. India and Malaysia in April signed an accord to ramp up usage of the rupee in cross-border business. Even perennial US ally France is starting to complete transactions in yuan.

Currency experts are leery of sounding like the Cassandras who have, embarrassingly, predicted the dollar’s imminent demise on any number of occasions over the past century. And yet in observing this sudden wave of agreements aimed at sidestepping the dollar, they detect the sort of meaningful action, however small and gradual, that was typically missing in the past.

For many global leaders, their rationales for taking these measures are strikingly similar. The greenback, they say, is being weaponized, used to push America’s foreign-policy priorities — and punish those that oppose them.

Read the rest here:

From the link:

In recent days, sound money champion Congressman Alex Mooney (R-WV) introduced H.R. 3712, the Digital Dollar Pilot Prevention Act – legislation that would block the Fed from unilaterally pursuing any form of central bank digital currency (CBDC) scheme.

"Congress cannot give an inch when it comes to CBDCs. CBDCs would threaten the liberties of law-abiding Americans and are being used by authoritarian countries right now to crack down on dissent," said Rep. Mooney.

H.R. 3712 is the latest in a growing backlash to central planners' designs to further centralize government control of currencies, including creating a greater ability to track all financial transactions, disallowing certain types of purchases, and even outright "turning off" a targeted individual's access to money.

h/t @Lancers32 - https://www.pmbug.com/threads/the-lunatic-fringe-market-and-trade-chat.4019/post-72560

It was my understanding that the August BRICS meeting was going to discuss the BRICS currency as more of an effort to lay the groundwork of agreement in how it should be designed/implemented. Rickards is saying that those details are being worked out right now and the August meeting will announce the result. I'm not sure if he's basing this on solid info or speculation. It does not mesh with the reports that I have read on the subject.

Do you believe BRICS+ bonds will be be available for purchase in the good ol' USA? If so would you buy them?

Jan Nieuwenhuijs' latest:
More (long):

Maybe the August BRICS meeting doesn't happen at all?

More:

RABAT, June 19 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is working on a platform for central bank digital currencies (CDBCs) to enable transactions between countries, IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said on Monday.

"CBDCs should not be fragmented national propositions... To have more efficient and fairer transactions we need systems that connect countries: we need interoperability," Georgieva told a conference attended by African central banks in Rabat, Morocco.

The IMF isn't the only one working on that. SWIFT, BIS, et al all want to be the world's crypto SWIFT system. It occurs to me that if there are several global CBDC clearing systems, it will be hard for any one entity to hold the world hostage over economic sanctions like the SWIFT system does with dollar clearing presently.

The world's central banks had more or less worked in synchronized fashion since 2007 or so. Looks like that coordinated dance might be ending?

The BIS has apparently discovered the use case for Avalanche (AVAX) and Ethereum (ETH) and wants to build their own centrally controlled version of it. I guess they will be competing with JP Morgan in that sense.

It's a really big pie...

Rickards at it again with definitive statements that read like massive speculation to me:

tl;dr - BRICS+ will roll out a BRICS+ currency linked to gold by weight (unpegged). BRICS+ will drive the price of gold up to tank the dollar.

The Fed keeps publicly dismissing the idea of developing a CBDC, but that isn't stopping them from actually exploring such developments.

Jan says the reports of BRICS backing new currency with gold aren't supported by any credible evidence:

This is in line with what I've been saying. I think some folks are putting the cart before the horse. I suspect the BRICS will announce very little real news on this next month. They are like to announce intentions or the formation of a working group to develop a plan.

Reports based upon rhetoric coming from Russia should be taken with a grain of salt apparently.

And apparently Brazil too.

"Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov are among BRICS leaders that touted the idea of a common currency"

Aug 17, 2023

• Chinese officials told state-run banks to intervene in currency markets this week to limit yuan volatility, per Bloomberg.
  • Banks are swapping dollars for yuan, while officials are also weighing tools to prevent depreciation of the currency.
  • The yuan is down about 2.4% against the dollar this month, and 6% in 2023.

BRICS expansion and what it means for the US dollar​

17 August 2023

The BRICS grouping of major emerging economies, Brazil, India, China, South Africa and Russia, is holding its fifteenth summit later this month. Up for discussion: an expansion of the bloc, greater use of local currencies and the possibility of a BRICS currency which may have the potential to challenge the dominance of the US dollar.

Any expansion of the BRICS grouping could determine the speed with which the bloc adopts commercial and financial systems outside of the dollar sphere. Speculation is rife as to how many countries, if any, will join the club – for the first expansion in a decade. In order to evaluate how the political ambitions correlate with underlying economic trends, we take a closer look at the overall evolution of the US dollar’s role in the various areas of the global economy and markets. Here are the observations so far:

Link to full report: https://think.ing.com/uploads/reports/Dedollarization_THINK_August_2023_-_FINAL_(RB)_1.pdf

(Kitco News) - Credit card giant Mastercard has created a new partnership program to explore the benefits and limitations of central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) with seven prominent crypto and FinTech firms, it announced on Aug. 17.

Mastercard said that while 93% of the world’s central banks are working on CBDCs, but “their efforts haven’t captured the public’s attention — for better or, more recently, for worse — like cryptocurrencies have.” But the payment giant said that CBDCs are gaining momentum and have “the potential to have an even bigger impact on our everyday lives.”

Looks like the effects of China's economic issues are starting to ripple out a bit more (affecting their monetary policy). I would imagine that is going to be a setback or headwind for any potential BRICS currency plan.

BRICS summit has begun and it looks like there is a lot of (unofficial) mixed messages regarding the BRICS currency idea. Bottom line AFAICT - it doesn't look to be something they are rolling out any time soon.

How embarrassing for Rickards.

The goldbug world got worked up over a self generated meme... well, dang, that has never happened before. What is the world coming to?

Just sitting back and watching the show down here... the writing is getting better, but the tropes remain the same.

Re BRIC's settlement currency.

When/if it comes, almost no one will see the move coming. The most you will get is some odd unsatisfactorily explained trading in say the USD or gold, much like options in airlines pre 911... someone always knows!

Seems like speculation on a BRICS currency has been premature.

More:

tl;dr: BRICS currency appears to be a fantasy. That's a view that I largely held when the subject first appeared on my radar. However, the kiss and play nice measures between Iran and Saudi Arabia indicate to me that there is some real political will to work on the project, It's obviously not imminent, but I also don't think it is dead or impossible.

Follow up to the SWIFT/Chainlink story:

According to that press release, the experiment was not limited to CBDCs. It actually tested transactions across an Ethereum blockchain.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…