Undeclared UK bank holiday?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/rbs-atm-glitch-enters-fifth-day-bailed-out-bank-issues-statement

it actually seems to be more like a simple fuck up with a system 'upgrade'

the fault got fixed fairly quickly but a whole bunch of in and out transactions got LOST in the meantime, including peoples wages, property deals and many small transactions

ie all levels of business including interbank.

and now they are trying to asess every apparent failed transaction by looking at a paper trail of evidence ........

A pretty serious cock up but probably not a 'bank holiday' in our terms, as they are staying open all weekend to interface with unhappy customers and study their bits of paper.

An unplanned effect will be a further awakening for many when they realise how tenuous their connection is with those digits and the start of a slow burn bank run.

yes, those with the least are hurt the most.

Stories about families unable to buy food and travellers around the world who couldnt pay for the flight, hotel, food ........... and a 6 hour wait on the 'help' line

If i was a stock trader i think i would be shorting RBS.

hmmm

a comment from someone in Ireland on Turds site -

That shows you how we rely on the computers and their correctness. Not just at the bank, but there and everywhere in between. It is fairly scary.

and heres another comment ( its getting a lot of attention at TFmetals )

ok last one -
consensus tending towards giant cock up ........

it actually seems to be more like a simple fuck up with a system 'upgrade'

If this is the case, then this could be the result of ignoring the following rule:

IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

And if it was broken, then ONLY FIX WHAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED AND NOTHING MORE.

Every IT backroom in the world seems to think that everyone wants the latest and greatest computer systems and programs, when the user wants ONLY one thing, SOMETHING THAT WORKS.

Any perusal of the internet, be it webpages, email, or whatever, will yield millions of broken applications because someone needed to justify their existence by CONTINUOUSLY fixing things that ain't broken. And every time they fix things that are not broken, they break something somewhere else.

The same problems exist in most businesses where they keep fixing things that worked well for decades and now do not work at all.

For example, the Portland Oregon Water Bureau fixed their billing systems a few years ago. They spent over 30 million dollars for new billing programs. After FIVE years of manufacturers representatives "living" at the Water Bureau trying to get the programs to work correctly, the Water Bureau finally scrapped the complete system and started over from scratch. In the process ten of thousands of water bills were lost, were incorrect, were late, were everything that you could imagine. Some people did not get a water bill for YEARS, and of those that did get a bill the vast majority were wrong, late, or double/triple billed. And all the Water Bureau NEEDED to do was add ONE process to their existing system to tax the rainwater falling on each property in Portland. Now I know there were probably many "reasons" to start from scratch, but it seems to me that INCREMENTALLY upgrading would have been a whole lot cheaper and less hassle in the long run. Sure it would not have been the latest and greatest systems and software in the world, BUT it would have WORKED.

One of the results is that even though Portland does not treat its drinking water (rainwater is gravity piped in from the mountains 50 miles east, no fluorine, no chlorine) and therefore does not have the expense of a water treatment plant that most cities have, Portland has one of the highest costs for city water anywhere in the U.S., so high that water intensive industries are leaving or do not go there at all.

The flip side of the coin to this banking "system failure" could be as others have stated - maybe this was a planned outage for selfish internal reasons and software is the convenient scapegoat.

Either way, the current generation of bank customers there have had their wake up call as to how fragile the system is, or how easy it is to manipulate if the bank is having problems. The bank will take a big hit for this and will not fully recover until the next generation of customers is on board, which could take a decade or more.

Big plus = More people are waking up to the fragility of using electrons for money. Unfortunately, the majority of them will go back to sleep until they are re-awakened by another "system failure" in their monetary life.

i was sooooo tempted today .........

dinner time in a queue at the bank to draw out some cash.
It was fairly busy, eventually it was my turn and i asked if i could withdraw the daily maximum,
to which they responded - yes ok , what do you want the money for ?

i wanted to loudly say, 'havent you heard theres a bank run started and i want to be ahead of the rush'

but i lamely whispered 'new bike' )-:

And tomorrow your answer will be "because I wrecked my new bike"

Whenever I have dealt with large sums of cash, the tellers are always very carefule not to ask what is going on. I find it funny.

Ummmm.........................fuck it .....................get it now! If you have money in the Euro system, get it out or get crushed.

Gold, silver, guns and grub. I'm just saying..........

That is funny, it is quite bold to ask you "what is it for"?? None of your business, sir, what I plan to do with money you owe me - that would be my answer. Ridiculous.

Well if they insist, I'd maybe hint at hookers and gambling, just to make my point.

... yes ok , what do you want the money for ?

To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

Things I need the money for:

1) Fireplace kindling

2) rolling a "cigarette"

3) Matress stuffing

4) I am all out of toilet paper

5) I need to test out my new shedder

6) Your girlfriend doesn't come cheap

7) The UFOs won't leave me alone unless I pay them off

8) I want it all in pennies, so I can pay my taxes

:rimshot:

locked out of their bank accounts for a month !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jul/04/rbs-ulster-bank-accounts?newsfeed=true

Customers of Ulster Bank could end up going without a fully functioning bank account for an entire month, the bank's parent company Royal Bank of Scotland admitted on Wednesday.

More than a fortnight after a technical problem sent the bank's computers into disarray, many customers are still experiencing difficulties accessing accounts and processing payments, with some reporting that vast sums of money have disappeared in the system.

On Monday, RBS said it could be several days before Ulster Bank was back to normal, but now it warns it could now take another two weeks before all accounts are operating properly.

In a statement RBS said it expected next week to be the final week of "significant delays", but warned that some customers could still be experiencing problems almost a month after the original fault.

"It is our expectation that by the week of the 16 July the vast majority of customers will return to a normal service, barring any residual reconciliation required," it said.

It was important to note, RBS added, that "it is not, and has never been, the case that all Ulster Bank services are unavailable", pointing out that it had now cleared payments "which will allow customers to see a material improvement in the information they have".

Among Ulster Bank's more than 100,000 customers is James Conlon, a businessman, who told the BBC that £50,000 of payments to his firm had not been credited to his account. That money has now turned up, but other customers are still waiting for their money.

On Twitter, a user writing under the name JoooyG wrote: "Oh thanks ulster bank for my credit card statement … It would help if you decided to put my wages from 2 weeks ago into my account first."

The chief executive of Ulster Bank, Jim Brown, apologised to customers, who he said had every right to be frustrated, adding: "Our efforts to fix this are paying off, and over the last few days we have been able to gain a much clearer picture about when we expect all systems to be largely back to normal.

"We expect gradual and significant improvements for our customers and each day we will see more transactions processing, fewer problems with our systems, and less inconvenience for our customers." Brown thanked other banks who had worked with his own to help process payments.

Northern Irish politicians are meeting the RBS chairman, Sir Philip Hampton, to discuss the situation.

The Democratic Unionist Party deputy leader, Nigel Dodds, who is leading the delegation said: "Thousands of people across Northern Ireland are experiencing severe difficulties because of the long-running saga in Ulster Bank.

"Customers have been particularly angered by the silence which has emanated from Ulster Bank during this crisis."

Dodds said customers were angry that it appeared NatWest customers had been prioritised as the bank attempted to clear the backlog of payments.

Accounts are supposed to be up and running again as normal at NatWest and RBS, but customers have been told to check their balances after it emerged that some had personal loan repayments debited twice.

Also, on NatWest's website several customers are reporting that cheques paid into accounts on 25 June have still not cleared.

What a total clusterfuck. Don't leave any funds in your bank that you can't live without.

Yes, and it's not just them. Evidently, due to the large scale Verizon outage on the east side of the country (that storm), my own bank can't tell me balances on the internet, or even in person.

So, I have a paycheck to write (after spouse support) and I can't find out if I've got the money - my trading account says the check went to the bank, but they can't say if they've got it or not - and someone right here, right now, is hurting because I can't write the check I owe them till I find out how extensive their outage really is. I seriously doubt they fail to charge me a bounce fee if they haven't gotten the wire transfer...due to the same outage.

I can only trade in electrons. I can't just pull it out into cash/PMs and live on the principal - wouldn't last that long. I live on my winnings, eat my own dogfood. Sure it will probably be OK in the end, and I've loaned this employee what I can that I did have in cash, but we run pretty close to the bone here - lucky it's a holiday and all.

Some of my work colleagues are with Ulster Bank, my company is pulling back their wired paychecks, and paying them salaries in cash this month (!). Good old days are back .
...me? Like I told you before, I have hardly any more cash in my Irish bank account, than required to wire my monthly bills . They have all the money required to do their"business" from central banks these days, customers are in this picture only to get fucked, so I don't give my consent and refuse to cooperate.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-I9100 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Get the majority of your cash out of the system. Keep some in there to pay your monthly bills, keep 4 to 6 months of living expenses in cash, and hold the rest in PM's.

Giving financial advice has gotten pretty simple.

One more thing, use a Credit Union instead of a bank. Especially in Canada.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…