Water as emergency prep

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I live in the burbs with municipal water supply to the house. I installed a whole house water filter on the inlet to the house. I also have a separate reverse osmosis filter installed by the kitchen faucet. The filters on the kitchen system last a long time thanks to the whole house filter. I have to replace that one every year and that filter can be downright nasty when it's old. No idea if either filter catches the "forever chemicals" but trying to distill water for the whole family in large quantities isn't really practical.

Get a couple plastic 55 gallon drums and sanitize them. Either collect rainwater or fill them from your faucet. Then get some water purification device.

I live in the sticks and have a well, I am just throwing this out there as an idea.

Instead of 55 gallon drums, I bought some purpose built rain barrels years ago. They look nice and had built in faucet, hose attachment, bug screen, etc. It is nice to have the rain water stored up.

Went searching for a way to get my well water in the case of a prolonged power outage. I can handle short power outages as I have a Generac and a 500 pound propane tank for it, but I was thinking of a real SHTF scenario. My well is 300 feet deep with the pump sitting at 270 feet. However, there is so much water under my hill that my static water level is between 14 and 17 feet. I look at solar with batteries, but the startup amperage required by the well pump makes this problematic. After a good bit of research, I purchased one of these... https://www.apocalypsewellpumps.com/.

Hope to never have to use it, but feel better knowing that it is on a shelf in the basement if it is ever needed.
I made a 16-foot "wine thief" PVC pipe sealed at the end with holes near the top. It can be lowered to any depth by a good nylon rope. It fills through the top holes, and you haul up a 16' column of water. Even my wife can do it (we tested it).

I'm having a hard time imagining what you are describing @Unca Walt . If you get a chance, could you post a picture of it (or a web page that illustrates it)?

For example, let's say he used schedule 40 2" PVC pipe. The average inside diameter is 2.047". Which means that you would get a gallon of water from every 70.2" of pipe. Or roughly 2.7 gallons per "dip".

It's better water, if the well-driller and property owner found a good source.

I've had well water several periods in my life. Far less aftertaste - because, of course, nothing added. No stench of chlorine, as you sometimes find with city water. No added minerals to cake up faucet heads.

You are correct that it is better water. My well water has zero taste. People who visit comment on the quality of it. My sister lives in town about 20 minutes from me and she's on "city water". It tastes so bad, she has to buy gallons of spring water to drink. The government tests my well water twice a year for free and sends me a report on it. No issues at all so far.

My sister lives in town about 20 minutes from me and she's on "city water". It tastes so bad, she has to buy gallons of spring water to drink.
What, you won't let her just come down and fill up a few five-gallon jugs?

Spring water is EXPENSIVE.

If you lived on Long Island, you could tell when someone ran a bath. It smelled up the whole house. Down here in Floriduh, there are some municipalities that have city water. They are the ones that give out "boil water" orders from time to time.

Meanwhile, my well water has no accidental sewage discharge into it like Ft. Liquordale, but then I have a RO rig that gives me better than any bottled water.

Some people have wells from long ago; too shallow, or poorly maintained. That can get dicey. Nuffin's perfect, but experience has shown me well water -- in general -- is the better choice... if you can make a choice.
Funny story I read long ago, about a landlord with a well AND city water in Lake County, Ohio.

Now the whole of Northeast Ohio is over a huge salt dome. Normally it doesn't affect the well water - the aquifer and the water table are above it. Lake Erie somehow doesn't percolate down there - and there's salt mining near the shore, and - I'm not sure - maybe even under the edge of the lake. International Salt - the salt is mostly sold for road treatment in winter.

So. There's this guy renting a home, where there's a well that's salty. Also city water from the nearest village. And there's a country club nearby, also pulling village water. I mean, PULLING. They had an irrigation system, and since they were far enough from the water plant, they illegally installed pumps to SUCK water out of the system. All homes tapped into the water system in the area would have faucets hissing from the suction. When they were watering, all that the resident could do was switch to the well and wash, bathe and flush with salt water.

He was sick of it, as you could imagine. So the weekend before moving out, a hot summer weekend, he hooked up BOTH the well and the city water system and let the irrigation pumps suck out the briny well water, onto their nice manicured greens.

:cool:

What, you won't let her just come down and fill up a few five-gallon jugs?

Spring water is EXPENSIVE.

She's in her 70's. She doesn't drive that much and, when she does, she sticks close to town.

Funny story I read long ago, about a landlord with a well AND city water in Lake County, Ohio.

Now the whole of Northeast Ohio is over a huge salt dome. Normally it doesn't affect the well water - the aquifer and the water table are above it. Lake Erie somehow doesn't percolate down there - and there's salt mining near the shore, and - I'm not sure - maybe even under the edge of the lake. International Salt - the salt is mostly sold for road treatment in winter.

So. There's this guy renting a home, where there's a well that's salty. Also city water from the nearest village. And there's a country club nearby, also pulling village water. I mean, PULLING. They had an irrigation system, and since they were far enough from the water plant, they illegally installed pumps to SUCK water out of the system. All homes tapped into the water system in the area would have faucets hissing from the suction. When they were watering, all that the resident could do was switch to the well and wash, bathe and flush with salt water.

He was sick of it, as you could imagine. So the weekend before moving out, a hot summer weekend, he hooked up BOTH the well and the city water system and let the irrigation pumps suck out the briny well water, onto their nice manicured greens.

:cool:

I'm a golfer, so I recognize tragedy when I see it, but even I think that is funny. :lmao:

For example, let's say he used schedule 40 2" PVC pipe. The average inside diameter is 2.047". Which means that you would get a gallon of water from every 70.2" of pipe. Or roughly 2.7 gallons per "dip".
Dang, @CiscoKid -- Your numbers are so spot on it is scary.

I think @Unca Walt was describing a well bucket. Shit load of "how to" vids on them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's mine, but not as sexy as the way I did it. My rig has no moving parts, unlike those guys' rig. Just a 16' PVC pipe with holes near the top where the rope is tied.

The double benefit of my "wine thief" system is when the PVC pipe goes down the well... and the pipe sinks down (the bottom of the pipe is sealed) the water in the well reaches the holes at the top of the PVC, and it flows in and fills the pipe:

With right at two gallons of water or about enuf water that it weighs about as much as a sprinkler can. Easily handled by my dainty bride. Repeat as necessary.

Water only last so long. Get some of the filtering straws.

You can get a case of dehydrated water packets on Amazon.

Made front page in today's Inquirer. Insane rate increases royally screwing people over.

Water privatization is coming under renewed scrutiny from Pa. lawmakers and regulators as consumers sour on rate increases​

The biggest for-profit water utility in Pennsylvania announced in November that it planned to collect an additional $204 million from customers — less than a year after the company’s last rate hike.

It may have been a major strategic error.

Over the next couple months, public hearings held by the state’s utility regulator were packed with frustrated ratepayers whose complaints were echoed by politicians — notwithstanding Pennsylvania American Water’s assurances that the revenue would help fund $1 billion in upgrades to water and sewer plants and other infrastructure. An investment analyst who follows utilities later wrote that he’d been attending such rate case hearings for years and had “never seen anything like those we attended in recent days.”

For-profit utilities in Pennsylvania have scooped up more than 20 water and sewer systems from municipal governments during the last eight years, spurred by a state law that changed how such assets are valued. Municipalities have used sale proceeds to pay off debt, invest in capital projects, and avoid tax increases.

The acquisitions have at times prompted local political backlash as some customers have seen their monthly water bills double or even triple, in some cases exceeding their electric bills. At the same time, consumers are still grappling with elevated prices for key items such as groceries and housing.

More:

That's funny.

Our water system, owned by all the city's history by a private company, was seized by the city six years ago. First, the cost went through the stratosphere - Mountain Water Company didn't WANT to sell to the city, and tried a number of legal challenges.

Then, while this was going on - as you can reasonably imagine - all maintenance except for emergent or sanitary needs...it all stopped. It was actually a five-year legal battle - that's a lot of maintenance to defer.

The city finally got legal clearance to pay the low price they offered, and take it over. They fired the entire payroll and put the mayor's crony buddies, or those recommended by his buddies, in there to run it.

And THEN he had the balls to gripe, publicly, of all the deferred maintenance. That no one had accurate knowledge of. Of course, simply re-hiring the various knowledgeable persons to direct a maintenance catch-up, would go counter to the real purpose: padding out the Civil Service rolls with loyal voter-supporters.

The cost was over eight times what he had promised city council and the voters. And the hardest thing, for the mayor, was that he didn't get to benefit from all this new patronage-support - he's dead. After requiring city workers to take the bio-weapon (not sure if he was blocked, as Montana law forbids that; but other employers have found work-arounds and required the Jab) and even going on local television to demand that us Science Deniars do our duty and submit...one year to the day that he went on the boob toob, he "died unexpectedly" of a fast-acting cancer. Caused, of course, by Science Denial and Glow Bull Warming.

But my point is: You may well not want to advocate a municipal takeover, or start such a campaign. Bad as some Woke corporations are, today, government workers are notoriously worse - doing ANYTHING. Water is a serious matter.

That's funny.

Our water system, owned by all the city's history by a private company, was seized by the city six years ago. First, the cost went through the stratosphere - Mountain Water Company didn't WANT to sell to the city, and tried a number of legal challenges.

Then, while this was going on - as you can reasonably imagine - all maintenance except for emergent or sanitary needs...it all stopped. It was actually a five-year legal battle - that's a lot of maintenance to defer.

The city finally got legal clearance to pay the low price they offered, and take it over. They fired the entire payroll and put the mayor's crony buddies, or those recommended by his buddies, in there to run it.

And THEN he had the balls to gripe, publicly, of all the deferred maintenance. That no one had accurate knowledge of. Of course, simply re-hiring the various knowledgeable persons to direct a maintenance catch-up, would go counter to the real purpose: padding out the Civil Service rolls with loyal voter-supporters.

The cost was over eight times what he had promised city council and the voters. And the hardest thing, for the mayor, was that he didn't get to benefit from all this new patronage-support - he's dead. After requiring city workers to take the bio-weapon (not sure if he was blocked, as Montana law forbids that; but other employers have found work-arounds and required the Jab) and even going on local television to demand that us Science Deniars do our duty and submit...one year to the day that he went on the boob toob, he "died unexpectedly" of a fast-acting cancer. Caused, of course, by Science Denial and Glow Bull Warming.

But my point is: You may well not want to advocate a municipal takeover, or start such a campaign. Bad as some Woke corporations are, today, government workers are notoriously worse - doing ANYTHING. Water is a serious matter.
Will you write the feckin book??!!

Back
Top Bottom