What are you listening to?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tim Hardin - If I were a carpenter (Live at Woodstock 1969)​

Last edited:
Pop some corn and set awhile...

Heartworn Highways (ハートワォーンハイウェイーズ)​

Association - Goodbye Columbus (1969)​

From the 1969 Movie (Soundtrack) 2:22

John Prine: At home with the songwriting legend​

It's been 47 years since John Prine earned his first Grammy nomination for best new artist. Since then, he's won two. At the age of 72, Prine has never been more popular. His highest charting album yet, "The Tree of Forgiveness," is up for three awards at Sunday's Grammys. John Dickerson traveled to Nashville for this extended conversation with the songwriting giant.
90m

America - Daisy Jane (1975)​

3:25

Top 30 BIGGEST Burt Bacharach Hits!!​

Feb 10, 2023

Burt Bacharach passed on Feb 8, 2023. He charted well over 50 Top 100 hits on Billboard. This video highlights his Top 30 Biggest Hits. 7:10

Because The Night by Patti Smith at Brooklyn (12.29.2022)​

6:07

Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible (Official Video)​

THE GAY DIVORCEE, Mark Sandrich, 1934 - Fred & Ginger Dancing, Night and Day​

Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 Steam Train Accelerating and Sanding Flues (8/27/21)​

Odyssey ~ Native New Yorker (1977)​

I'll be there - Gerry & the Pacemakers (1965)​

What Happened to Gerry & The Pacemakers?​

Susanna Hoffs Hazy Shade of Winter Live 2022​

Edit to add:

Conversation with Susanna Hoffs​

Nov 6, 2020

52:24

In 1982, when The Bangles were still known as The Bangs and playing at Al’s Bar in Los Angeles, Music Connection concluded: “There is no question that all the elements are here to make the group one of the biggest draws around, and 1983 is theirs for the taking.” Sure enough, The Bangles were picked up in 1983 by Columbia records and released their first full album, All Over the Place, the following year. For vocalist and guitarist, Susanna Hoffs, the shift into the spotlight was profound. She explained the contrast to Goldmine in 2012 saying:

You go from the little bubble of your dreams, of musical aspiration, and all of this excitement and energy, and creating your sound and finding your communal voice as a band. Suddenly, you get signed and enter the business side of it. There are teams of people in suits, mostly men, and they are staring at you and sizing you up and trying to figure out what to do with you and how to sell you. You realize that your little bubble of creativity is no longer a little bubble. You’re out in the world, subject to a list of people’s opinions that you never thought you had to consider.

In spite of that pressure, Hoffs has maintained an infectious energy for music making and collaboration throughout her rich and diverse musical career. From The Bangles to Ming Tea (her faux-sixties Austin Powers band with Mike Myers and Matthew Sweet), her Under the Covers volumes, with Matthew Sweet, with in her solo work and collaborative projects, Hoffs brings a fresh and enthusiastic voice to the popular music soundscape.

While The Bangles were Hoffs’ first step major musical success, she began her first band, The Unconscious, with David Roback (of Mazzy Star fame) while studying art at UC Berkeley. During her time in college, Hoffs’ studies in the arts were complimented by the late seventies music scene that surrounded her. From Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground and Patti Smith, to the last Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco’s Wonderland in 1978, Hoffs’ musical ear developed alongside her art studies. Hoffs reflects:

“I wanted to be an artist and I didn’t have a lot of boundaries around that. I studied dance and theatre and I ended up graduating with a degree in art…I painted, I made sculptures, I did photography…and I made a band…that band was just another thing that I made.”

While The Unconscious parted ways after graduation, both Hoffs (in The Bangles) and Roback (in Rain Parade) became active participants in the Paisley Underground scene of their hometown of Los Angeles, bringing that “art band” college experience with them: “The goal wasn’t to play a stadium, the goal was to get a gig at a club, you know, and be like the Velvet Underground at Andy Warhol’s factory and just be part of a happening.”

Hoffs and Roback had been childhood friends (and maintained that friendship until his recent passing in February 2020), but after a relationship that was both musical and romantic in college, Hoffs was ready to find a band without that added tension. Hoffs met Bangles bandmates Vicki and Debbi Peterson through an ad she had placed in The Recycler. From their first meeting playing in Hoffs’ garage, the band was formed.

Last edited:

Susanna Hoffs Hazy Shade of Winter Live 2022​

Edit to add:

Conversation with Susanna Hoffs​

Nov 6, 2020

52:24

In 1982, when The Bangles were still known as The Bangs and playing at Al’s Bar in Los Angeles, Music Connection concluded: “There is no question that all the elements are here to make the group one of the biggest draws around, and 1983 is theirs for the taking.” Sure enough, The Bangles were picked up in 1983 by Columbia records and released their first full album, All Over the Place, the following year. For vocalist and guitarist, Susanna Hoffs, the shift into the spotlight was profound. She explained the contrast to Goldmine in 2012 saying:

You go from the little bubble of your dreams, of musical aspiration, and all of this excitement and energy, and creating your sound and finding your communal voice as a band. Suddenly, you get signed and enter the business side of it. There are teams of people in suits, mostly men, and they are staring at you and sizing you up and trying to figure out what to do with you and how to sell you. You realize that your little bubble of creativity is no longer a little bubble. You’re out in the world, subject to a list of people’s opinions that you never thought you had to consider.

In spite of that pressure, Hoffs has maintained an infectious energy for music making and collaboration throughout her rich and diverse musical career. From The Bangles to Ming Tea (her faux-sixties Austin Powers band with Mike Myers and Matthew Sweet), her Under the Covers volumes, with Matthew Sweet, with in her solo work and collaborative projects, Hoffs brings a fresh and enthusiastic voice to the popular music soundscape.

While The Bangles were Hoffs’ first step major musical success, she began her first band, The Unconscious, with David Roback (of Mazzy Star fame) while studying art at UC Berkeley. During her time in college, Hoffs’ studies in the arts were complimented by the late seventies music scene that surrounded her. From Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground and Patti Smith, to the last Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco’s Wonderland in 1978, Hoffs’ musical ear developed alongside her art studies. Hoffs reflects:

“I wanted to be an artist and I didn’t have a lot of boundaries around that. I studied dance and theatre and I ended up graduating with a degree in art…I painted, I made sculptures, I did photography…and I made a band…that band was just another thing that I made.”

While The Unconscious parted ways after graduation, both Hoffs (in The Bangles) and Roback (in Rain Parade) became active participants in the Paisley Underground scene of their hometown of Los Angeles, bringing that “art band” college experience with them: “The goal wasn’t to play a stadium, the goal was to get a gig at a club, you know, and be like the Velvet Underground at Andy Warhol’s factory and just be part of a happening.”

Hoffs and Roback had been childhood friends (and maintained that friendship until his recent passing in February 2020), but after a relationship that was both musical and romantic in college, Hoffs was ready to find a band without that added tension. Hoffs met Bangles bandmates Vicki and Debbi Peterson through an ad she had placed in The Recycler. From their first meeting playing in Hoffs’ garage, the band was formed.

Ah the bangable Bangles.

Joanie Sommers -- Johnny Get Angry​

Jan 19, 2013

One of the comments below the vid on youtube:

7 years ago
Joanie is my late brother- in- law's sister (Daniel John Drost). I have not had any contact with her for years, she attended our nephew's wedding several years ago and was just as lovely as ever. Also performs with some retro concerts from time to time. If you look into the body of her work, it is vast. She sang with Eddie Byrnes for 77 sunset strip, "Cookie, lend me your comb" before Connie Stevens, and did a lot of voice over work. She was a darling to work with according to her many contemporaries. I wish her well wherever she is.

John used to play the piano and sing at one of my hangouts. Moved onward and upward since then.

John Primerano - It Had To Be You​

Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran | Bagpipe Cover ( The Snake Charmer )​

Back
Top Bottom