What's your DCA? (Dollar Cost Average)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Barrettone

Fly on the Wall
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
I thought this would be a cool thing to have all the forum members sound off on. Some of it will be indicative of how long (since when) you've been stacking, but I thought it would be interesting to see the various responses. No need to list how many ounces you've acquired (OPSEC), but just tell us where you are at on your DCA for gold and silver, and if you have any PT or PL, don't be bashful on mentioning your DCA with those.

I'll kick it off:

Silver-$22.60/oz
Gold-$533/oz
Platinum-0
Palladium-0

Had my gold for quite some time (started in 2000 and went hard back then when it was only $300/oz or so), but had to start from scratch pretty much on silver just over a year ago since I cashed it all in back in 2015/2016.

Sound off:

dont know mine for sure but estimates are including all costs ie premiums n shipping been in n out since the late 70s ...

under 15$ for ag
under 500$ for au
under 1100$ for PT
under 700$ for PL

Last edited:
Best estimate:
$180 gold
$7 silver

Started 1970 - stopped 1980. Gold & silver were super high for that time. So were CD rates. Sold 1/2 of everything. The rest went when I retired (10 - 11 years ago.)

dont know mine for sure but estimates are including all costs ie premiums n shipping been in n out since the late 70s ...

under 15$ for ag
under 500$ for au
under 1100$ for PT
under 700$ for PL
That's very impressive Tazz. I USED to be under $15 on AG, but alas, reality took over when I had to sell. Luckily, I hung on to the AU. You're numbers on PL and PT will pay dividends some day I'm sure.

Best estimate:
$180 gold
$7 silver

Started 1970 - stopped 1980. Gold & silver were super high for that time. So were CD rates. Sold 1/2 of everything. The rest went when I retired (10 - 11 years ago.)
WOW!!! I bow to you mighty Yoda!!!

DMTM. Doesn't matter to me.
What matters is what it'll bring when the dollar goes to hell.
Small amounts of silver, like silver dimes will be critical for a meal for the family.
And I get that. I also count my wealth in ounces, not dollars, but it is interesting to see what the amount is that you had to pay in fiat to get your position, and the amount of time that's had to pass to get where you are today. My AG stack is evenly divided among constitutional, sovereign and generic (rounds and bars). I lean heavily on the smaller denominations in each category for fungibility as you mentioned.

DMTM. Doesn't matter to me.
What matters is what it'll bring when the dollar goes to hell.
Small amounts of silver, like silver dimes will be critical for a meal for the family.

I'm at about $15.00 for au and $12.00 for ag, but lots more ag. And I agree with Arminius, lots of junk ag in my holdings.

I'm at about $15.00 for au and $12.00 for ag, but lots more ag. And I agree with Arminius, lots of junk ag in my holdings.
15$ gold? That would be quite the coop....got a Lotta junk ag too it seems to come and go outa favor but they are not making any more of it for sure
That's very impressive Tazz. I USED to be under $15 on AG, but alas, reality took over when I had to sell. Luckily, I hung on to the AU. You're numbers on PL and PT will pay dividends some day I'm sure.
The early 2000s were good to those that recognized it....brown was giving away the uk's gold....as with most that bought in that time period I should bought more but babies needed new shoes (actually higher education)too lol ..being in it good sure lowers the stress levels of price swings

Last edited:
15$ gold? That would be quite the coop....got a Lotta junk ag too it seems to come and go outa favor but they are not making any more of it for sure

The early 2000s were good to those that recognized it....brown was giving away the uk's gold....as with most that bought in that time period I should bought more but babies needed new shoes (actually higher education)too lol ..being in it good sure lowers the stress levels of price swings
Oops.....Yes that would be quite the deal,..... didn't mean to put the decimal point in the au. $1500 on au. I'm probably a little better on the Au in reality but bought some cool old $10 & $20 gold coins fairly recently that pushed my average up a bit.

Best estimate:
$180 gold
$7 silver

I'm close to searcher. $240.00 gold & $7.00 SILVER. On and off since 1986.

I'm close to searcher. $240.00 gold & $7.00 SILVER. On and off since 1986.

Didn't do any math. Just posted an approximate so could be a bit off. One thing.........forget exactly how high CD's were but they were up there.

the early 2000s with 4-7$ silver and 2-400$ gold was a very unique time in PMs for sure
I'll bet they'll be saying that about today as well. Im certainly hoping it will be unique with the persistent GSR the way its been for so long......

As to my dollar cost average, I have no idea. Some was cheap(er) some not so much. I never really kept track till about 10 years ago. And even then my filing system is little more than an ammo box stuffed with papers that I never look at.

Back
Top Bottom