Zimbabwe made gold legal tender and reintroduces gold standard

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ZiG is partly gold-backed, which begs the question, how much?

See point 162 in last quote in post #98:

See point 162 in last quote in post #98:

"162. As of 5 April 2024, the Bank has reserve assets of USD 100 million in cash and 2,522 kgs of gold (US$185 million) to back the entire local currency component of reserve money which currently stands at ZW$2.6 trillion requiring full (100%) cover of gold and cash reserves amounting to US$90 million. The gold and cash reserve holdings currently with the Bank represent more than 3 times cover for the local currency being issued."

It says the ZiG is backed by gold & cash, i.e. the ZiG is by definition partly backed by gold.
Bank reserves assets - both the cash and the gold component - change in time, so nothing prevents the gold reserves to decrease in the future so much that de facto the ZiG could become only e.g. 10% backed by gold.

I miss something like "Each ZiG unit is 100% backed by gold"
And how about this one: "Each ZiG unit is redeemable against x grams of gold"
After all this is how a gold backed currency works

Zimbabwe Will Convert Annual Budget to Reflect New Currency​

Zimbabwe will convert its annual budget to its gold-backed currency, the ZiG, which went into circulation last month, Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said.

“That should be ready at the end of the month, beginning of next month we will be able to show you the ZiG equivalent of the budget,” Ncube told lawmakers at the nation’s parliament in Mount Hampden.

More:

@Peter89 - I think your concern is largely echoed by everyone that is skeptical of the Zimbabwe government and RBZ. Words are cheap (even cheaper than fiat). Time will tell.

@Peter89 - I think your concern is largely echoed by everyone that is skeptical of the Zimbabwe government and RBZ. Words are cheap (even cheaper than fiat). Time will tell.
... yes... probably I'm being to harsh on them...

They did a gigantic step towards sound money,
actually Zimbabwe is currently AFAIK the only country in the world with a currency which is officially - partly or not partly - backed by gold.

Well done Zimbabwe gov! (y)

Back
Top Bottom