Zimbabwe made gold legal tender and reintroduces gold standard

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It sounds like the situation in Zimbabwe is deteriorating and unless they stabilize things with full dollarization, they aren't going to have time for the digital gold project to reach a critical mass for market utility.

From June 7:

Sounds like there is sustained weekly demand for the digital gold tokens:

Zimbabwe continues to build the infrastructure to support use of the digital gold token:

Zimbabwe's Gold-Backed Digital Token Won't Fix the Country's Currency Woes, Economists Say​

Zimbabwe’s gold-backed digital token is not going to stabilize the country’s local currency as the central bank hopes, two economists told CoinDesk.

On May 8, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe issued gold-backed digital tokens, which are a form of electronic money backed by the country's gold reserves. Gold-backed digital token investors will be able to hold and exchange their tokens in the first phase of the project, and in the next phase be able to trade and make payments, the RBZ said.

An official at the central bank told the local Sunday Mail in April that the RBZ was issuing this digital token to try and stabilize the Zimbabwean dollar, which dramatically collapsed in 2008 setting record inflation rates at the time as high as 79,600,000,000% per month.

More:

It may not stabilize the Zimbabwean dollar, but it could possibly end up replacing it.

How many tokens do you need to buy a kilo of monkey meat at the farmer's market?

I've been checking periodically for more news on how Zimbabawe's gold coin / digital gold project is going, but the news cycle for Zimbabwe is dominated by reports on their recent elections. The incumbent won in a process that the global community (at least, the West) is calling out as ... deficient...

If the results hold, it likely will mean that the gold coin / digital gold project will continue with incumbent President Emmerson Mnangagwa's support.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...gwa-sworn-in-after-disputed-polls/ar-AA1gdGNR

Looks like Mnangagwa is going to "retain his seat on the throne".

Nepotism reigns:

That quote though...

~~~

On that last note:
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/other/govt-may-withdraw-us-dollar-use-before-2025/ar-AA1gNEnG

It sounds like they are still searching for some monetary/economic equilibrium.

So it sounds like this isn't exactly a crypto token - individuals aren't in control of a crypto wallet. The banks are the wallet holders and individuals have ZiG denominated bank accounts. Transactions are effected by requests to the bank just like with currency account (when you issue a check or use a credit card).

(Kitco News) - The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) has announced that its Zimbabwe Gold (ZiG) gold-backed digital token is now officially endorsed as a payment method in the country.

According to a press release from the RBZ, the gold-backed token officially became an accepted payment method on October 5 and can be used to complete domestic transactions, “over and above its value-preservation purpose,” they said.

“The value of ZiG will be at par with the value of the physical Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coin and will remain informed by the international gold price,” RBZ said. “Banks will maintain dedicated ZiG accounts and intermediate transactions in ZiG in the same way they intermediate transactions in local and foreign currency.”

More:

It seems to me that this report and Mr. Nyazema's comments are a bit premature. The program is not even a week old yet and only 2/3 of the banks in the country even offer access to the system. Every program like this will have some growing pains as it comes to maturity. If merchants start accepting it (or demanding it) for payment, adoption from the populace will rise IMO.

Oct. 13, 2023:

The RBZ appears to have a confidence problem. An independent auditor may or may not overcome that issue.

I'm still trying to decode what the last paragraph quoted above actually means, "US dollar codes"? Wat? But it is clear that the ZiG program is not fully accessible to the public yet.

Growing pains:

lulz.

Another take on the issue:
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/othe...n-a-leap-into-financial-ambiguity/ar-AA1ihxRm

Oct. 13, 2023:
To date, 322 kilogrammes of gold was bought. ...

I found this report from October 10 (3 days prior to the report quoted above):

28 kg difference. Seems like media should get the number right if they are just reading it off a central bank report/statement. In any event, this report links to the RBZ website, which I just looked at and found this report posted two days ago:

They have sold a cumulative total of 373.77 kgs (11,992.23 troy ounces) worth of gold with the zig tokens so far. I was not successful in finding a report on total sales of the Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coins.

Also, I see on the RBZ home page a section announcing the daily gold fix and Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coin prices listed in various foreign currency.

They reported 31,866 gold coins sold at the beginning of April, so they have only sold about 6,500 coins in the last 7 months.

Looking back through this thread, the last time I saw a report on the sale numbers for the Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coins, I saw in post #34 from April 24:
State-owned media reported earlier this month that the country had 350 kilograms (12,346 ounces) of gold in reserves, citing John Mangudya, the central bank governor.

They reportedly had 350kg gold in reserves back in April (before the Zig program started). They have sold 373.x kg of Zig digital gold claims through the end of October. It's not clear how many kg of gold was sold in the form of Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coins since that April 24 report*, but it does seem to explain the slowdown in sales for both if the folks there are keeping tabs on this stuff and know the government might have already sold all their reserves and whatever production they get monthly.

* 6,500 coins from ~April 4... 210 days between April 4 and October 31. Assuming an even sales distribution (which is most likely *not* a safe assumption, but I'm just doing some back of the hand maths here...) that would be ~31 coins per day. Subtracting out average sales for the 20 days from April 4 to April 24 yields around 5,881 coins sold from April 24 to October 31. Coins could be either 1 or 0.1 toz, so we can estimate that they sold anywhere from 5,881 toz (182.9 kg) to 588 toz (18.29 kg) in coins. So Zimbabwe would have need to add a minimum of 18.29kg (coins) + 23kg (Zigs) = 41.29 kg of gold (and a maximum of 205.29 kg) to their reserves to cover production/sales of coins and Zigs through October 31.

I still want one of the gold coins but can't find a way to acquire one.

I have not seen any dealer offering them.

It sounds like they are tightly restricting (allowed, but restricted) export agencies. Just a guess, but for a domestic dealer (even a big one like Apmex) to get a quantity for sale domestically would incur a huge premium for Zimbabwe red tape, export agency fee and transportation. That and insurance risk of handling a large value sale with a Zimbabwe agency...

The ZiG got a public endorsement from what appears to be a prominent industry group:
THE Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI) is optimistic the recently introduced Zimbabwe Gold (ZiG) currency will go a long way in easing excessive demand for the US$ in the economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/zimbabwe/gold-mobilisation-unit-in-dire-straits/ar-AA1k7ZLt

So those numbers are all over the map and don't correlate exactly with the window of gold coin and ZiG sales, but it does yield some ballpark framework for guesstimating. We can estimate on the conservative side that they might have delivered 20 tonnes of gold to the refinery through October (they have delivered ~2 tonnes per month through August, so adding just 0.7 tonnes for the month of October seems conservative).

20 tonnes = 20,000 kg. I'm not sure how much of the mined gold goes from the Fidelity Gold Refinery to the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ), but they definitely have the national production to potentially increase the central banks reserves for the Mosi-oa-Tunya gold coins and/or ZiGs depending upon how much of that gold production the central bank is selling/exporting .

This report (from 2021) seems to indicate that gold sent to the Fidelity Gold Refinery is bought by the central bank:
Total gold output tumbled nearly a third to 19 tonnes last year after small-scale producers diverted the metal to illegal private dealers who pay more than the central bank gold refining unit, which is the country's sole buyer of bullion.

Related to my last post:

History shows most people used silver to conduct regular daily transactions. They used gold for larger purchases and often changed gold coins at the bank for silver.

Looks like the gold miners in Zimbabwe are protesting the new payment policy mentioned above in post #66:
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/to...onnes-75-drop-the-lowest-in-years/ar-AA1l9oHa

That's got to hurt! I'm wondering why they don't pay them back with ZiGs....

I did not see this coming...:

Also in the report (and more in line with what I would have expected from the World Bank):

It really seems short sighted to me to be discouraging gold production with the payment policy at a time when they really need production to kick into high gear to feed both the Zig for local investment and their international reserves.

Hmmm...

So the Zimbabwe government missed out on at least 3 tonnes of gold because of unattractive payment policy. Seems very short sighted if you are pinning monetary stabilization plans on gold reserves.

So if the previous news report and this report are both correct, they mined ~11 tonnes in just Q4 after mining 19.3 in the first three quarters combined. If they can sustain a >10 tonnes in a quarter output, they could definitely reach their 40 tonnes a year goal. Sustaining the output seems to be problematic though.

December 21 and January 11 results of the ZiG program were posted.

December 21:

36.87kg worth of gold were sold for a cumulative total of 447.63kg.

January 11:

46.92kg worth of gold were sold for a cumulative total of 494.55kg.

Looks like gold (ZiG) buying has picked up a lot.

So they might lose about 2 weeks of production from the small-scale and artisanal miners which actually mine the most gold.

I checked the RBZ website and they report ZiG sales through Feb 2 (5 tranches since the last time I looked):

Jan 25 - 73.05 kgs
Jan 30 - 6.70 kgs
Jan 31 - 2.78 kgs
Feb 1 - 22.45 kgs
Feb 2 - 17.24 kgs

Total (cumulative) currently sits at 616.77 kgs. That's a pretty big jump in ZiG buying. Over 100kg in 2-3 weeks - that's about double the pace it was selling previously.

The RBZ used to publish an application form for every tranche with several weeks notice before the sale (ie. the window/period between tranches used to be anywhere from 2-4 weeks). What I'm seeing today is a whole slew of tranches just days apart and there is no application form published on the RBZ (at least, not in the press release section where they used to be). Looks like something has changed with how they are handling the ZiG sales.

The local fiat looks to be a failure. US Dollars will continue to be dominant in trade and I suspect the ZiG will remain popular for investment (as long as there is faith that the gold backing it actually exists).

Zimbabwe to link exchange rate to hard assets, create currency board​

Zimbabwe is working on new measures to stabilise its local currency including linking the exchange rate to hard assets such as gold and creating a currency board, Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said on Monday.

The Zimbabwean dollar has fallen about 40% since the start of the year, hurt by increased foreign-currency demand from civil servants being paid December bonuses and weaker commodity prices denting inflows.

Last week President Emmerson Mnangagwa said authorities were looking to introduce a "structured currency", without explaining how that would work, and the central bank governor said that work was ongoing.

"The idea going forward is to make sure that we manage the growth of liquidity which has a high correlation to money supply growth and inflation. The way to do that is to link the exchange rate to some hard asset such as gold," said Ncube.

"To do that you have to have some sort of currency board type system in place where the growth of the domestic liquidity is constrained by the value of the asset that is backing the currency," he said in a press briefing.

More:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…