American Reality Check

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-vulnerabilities-from-pandemic-idUSKBN22R34Y

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ts-this-time-really-is-different?srnd=premium

5/21/20 - $7.085T

$103B increase. Less than half of last week's increase.

The monthly tally of defaults in the U.S. leveraged loan market has hit a six-year high, data from Fitch Ratings showed, as companies are either missing payments or filing for bankruptcy because of the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-debt-leveraged-idUSKBN22X1BD

It's the start of the Fed's worst nightmare (massive loan defaults which could cascade into bank failures):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ns-hit-market-as-banks-start-to-clear-backlog

5/28/20 - $7.145T

$60B increase over last week. Balance sheet expansion appears to be slowing down.

Cops are likely making a lot of sweet overtime right now.

Insurance companies going to be paying out a lot of claims. They are probably TBTF so no worries if they end up needing a bailout.

A lot of insurance companies policies don't pay out for damages caused by civil unrest.
Seems like I heard some folks complaining about a month or so ago that their health insurance was balking at claims related to covid 19.

If you are at the bottom end of the american dream and have no certain means of buying food, no liklihood of a job, no hope for a future, you might not be too worried about taking a little of other peoples apparent success.
If you are a bankster or at the upper end of the food chain, you will not be too concerned cos its only money and theres always more

If you have worked for what you have and paid all the hands held out so they would leave you alone and something bad happens, its tough luck but dont worry you can always follow your dream and with hard work, rebuild it all ......... or more likely join the bottom feeders bringing your bitterness and anger to the party.

The short term future doesnt look good.

6/4/20 - $7.213T

$68B increase over last week.

Emphasis is mine:

So about them zombies...

I wasn't near my computer for the last few days... Missed the Fed report last Thursday...

6/11/20 - $7.217T

Just a $4B increase over the week before. That's incredible. Lowest I've seen since the recent madness started.

6/18/20 - $7.143T

Incredibly, the Fed is reporting that their balance sheet actually shrunk $74B over the last week.

I guess that once the CB's get the hang of helicopter money they will explore different ways of pushing it out.
Public awareness of where it has been going is increasing and unrest is a significant possibility.....
Got any 'shovel readies' ?
Perhaps all the crazy housebuilding ( certainly here in Blighty) resources can be redirected to infrastructure ?

6/25/20 - $7.130T

$13B decrease. More or less holding steady right now. If CV19 hospitalizations continue to grow, and shot downs expand, I expect more stimulus will be on the horizon.

So I slacked off a bit on keeping tabs on the Fed balance sheet. July's numbers:

7/2/20 - $7.057T (76B decrease from week before)
7/9/20 - $6.969T (88B decrease from week before)
7/16/20 - $7.007T (38B increase from week before)
7/23/20 - $7.013T (6B increase from week before)

Balance sheet might have gone as low as it's going to go for the near term.

Somehow, I really doubt the Fed will be fine with a stampede into gold.

7/30/20 - $6.996T (17B decrease from week before)
8/6/20 - $6.993T (3B decrease from week before)

8/13/20 - $7.005T (12B increase from week before)
8/20/20 - $7.059T (54B decrease from week before)

Balance sheet was mostly flat (small increases/decreases) since July 16 report until this last week. Start of a trend, or just more noise? They've managed to hold the line on the balance sheet more or less around the 7T mark. That will likely change if war breaks out or Congress passes another stimulus bill (or the economy/financial markets get pressured by [an] oddly colored swan[ s ]).

8/27/20 - $7.039T (20B decrease from week before)
9/3/20 - $7.065T (26B increase from week before)

how much can the CB's get out there before 'The Great Reset ' takes care of it all ?

Its a delicate balancing act.

9/10/20 - $7.059T (6B decrease from week before)
9/17/20 - $7.113T (54B increase from week before)

Looks like liftoff from the 7T mark has begun.

9/24/20 - $7.141T (28B increase from week before)

If the Fed averages $30B a week increase, the balance sheet should hit $8T in about 29 weeks - just over half a year.

10/1/20 - $7.103T (38B decrease from week before)

OK. It's not going to go straight up then...

Catching up...

10/8/20 - $7.123T (20B increase from week before)
10/15/20 - $7.199T (76B increase from week before)
10/22/20 - $7.225T (26B increase from week before)
10/29/20 - $7.194T (31B decrease from week before)
11/5/20 - $7.206T (12B increase from week before)
11/12/20 - $7.224T (18B increase from week before)

~~~

so eerrr gold up 20% ?
bring on that vaccine then ...........

Am I missing something here ?

11/19/20 - $7.291T (67B increase from week before)
11/27/20 - $7.265T (26B decrease from week before)
12/3/20 - $7.270T (5B increase from week before)

Seems the balance sheet expansion isn't going up in a straight line.

12/10/20 - $7.291T (21B increase from week before)
12/17/20 - $7.411T (120B increase from week before)

Big increase reported last week. New stimulus bill was signed last night, so more brrrt baked into the cake.

12/28/20 - $7.452T (41B increase from week before)
12/31/20 - $7.411T (41B decrease from 3 days before - was previous report real? Back to where we were 12/17/20)
1/7/21 - $7.383T (28B decrease from week before)

~~~

Aside from exponential M1/M2 money supply growth over the last month or so, America's insane political theater seems to be coming to a head. I haven't been posting much lately with the holidays and such. Central banks et al seem to be keeping a lid on precious metals while crypto seems to have exploded. New strains of Covid are running rampant in the USA right now. The economy is set for another slowdown in spite of vaccines starting to trickle out to the public. There are probably more risk factors threatening the stability of life (markets, economic, politics) right now than at any other point in my lifetime.

Yes, no matter what happens, half of America is seriously unpappy with the other half and theres no fence sitting area.
Trump does not seem to be acting like he is about done and his Sun Tsu way of doing things suggests we could yet be in for some surprises.....

A log cabin in the mountains would seem an appropriate location right now.

1/14/21 - $7.382T (1B decrease from week before)
1/21/21 - $7.463T (81B increase from week before)
1/28/21 - $7.453T (10B decrease from week before)

2/4/21 - $7.459T (6B increase from week before)
2/11/21 - $7.491T (32B increase from week before)
2/18/21 - $7.606T (115B increase from week before)

Last edited:

Asset bubbles aren't inflation, so cool, cool...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

I thought the definition of inflation was an increase in the money supply.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…