Fake Silver Coins

bushi

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2869

"The popularity of lunar coins has grown of late, making the coins an excellent target for counterfeiters."

Another reason to avoid the "collectible" coins.
:cheers:

..hmmmm, one would think that counterfeiting silver coins is not very cost-effective thing to do, if you are a criminal - you have to move a lot of counterfeit inventory, to make any significant money?

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
..hmmmm, one would think that counterfeiting silver coins is not very cost-effective thing to do, if you are a criminal - you have to move a lot of counterfeit inventory, to make any significant money?

I think is the combo of lack of detail in the design and the higher price these sought after designs go for.

From the article:
"The major issue with this fake is the lack of detail in the design elements."

silvercoinrn

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get fake coins? Iv always wanted to see some and also to have as a reference for other coins that i am buying. But i want the real ones not the ones with copy on them

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
Some fakes have been know to be sold on eBay, but they aren't advertised as fakes, so YMMV.

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
What are these coins made of? It doesn't say whether these coins are actually silver or if they're non PM with silver plating.

bushi

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
"How do you make money doing this?

Simple. Volume."

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2315
...yeah and that's my point, they would need to move a lot of fake inventory, to make any significant money on it, which increases risks of discovering counterfeits, IMHO

Although, on the second thought - unlike counterfeit paper money, most of these coins will be bought for stacking/hoarding/saving, so there is a good chance that once it gets into the hands of a victim, it might went undetected for years, even decades (if one is saving them for one's retirement - OUCH!) - until one wan't to spend them in the future...

Top Bottom