Fake Silver Coins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2869

"The popularity of lunar coins has grown of late, making the coins an excellent target for counterfeiters."

Another reason to avoid the "collectible" coins.
:cheers:

..hmmmm, one would think that counterfeiting silver coins is not very cost-effective thing to do, if you are a criminal - you have to move a lot of counterfeit inventory, to make any significant money?

..hmmmm, one would think that counterfeiting silver coins is not very cost-effective thing to do, if you are a criminal - you have to move a lot of counterfeit inventory, to make any significant money?

I think is the combo of lack of detail in the design and the higher price these sought after designs go for.

From the article:
"The major issue with this fake is the lack of detail in the design elements."

Does anyone know where i can get fake coins? Iv always wanted to see some and also to have as a reference for other coins that i am buying. But i want the real ones not the ones with copy on them

Some fakes have been know to be sold on eBay, but they aren't advertised as fakes, so YMMV.

What are these coins made of? It doesn't say whether these coins are actually silver or if they're non PM with silver plating.

"How do you make money doing this?

Simple. Volume."

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2315
...yeah and that's my point, they would need to move a lot of fake inventory, to make any significant money on it, which increases risks of discovering counterfeits, IMHO

Although, on the second thought - unlike counterfeit paper money, most of these coins will be bought for stacking/hoarding/saving, so there is a good chance that once it gets into the hands of a victim, it might went undetected for years, even decades (if one is saving them for one's retirement - OUCH!) - until one wan't to spend them in the future...

Back
Top Bottom