Fed will overshoot rate increases

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

As you well know pmbug tomorrrow afternoon the fed will release their weekly data. If they continued to expand their balance sheet with bank loans it will be a clue if they are going to still increase rates or pause for a bit.

I personally expect a rate increase with or without a balance sheet expansion (but there probably will be a balance sheet expansion).

I personally expect a rate increase with or without a balance sheet expansion (but there probably will be a balance sheet expansion).
I'm betting no balance sheet expansion tomorrow (head fake) and no interest rate increase at next meeting.

A pause, and then a return, slow or fast, to ZIRP.

Powell isn't reversing fast because that makes him look bad. But Powell WILL reverse, because the Free Money types are in charge in Washington. He loves power more than he cares about responsible stewardship.

Back to ZIRP, and a few months or years of malinvestment - increasingly-toxic malinvestment, such as FB censors, money-for-Remdesivir fatalities, and more banning of useful products and subsidies for worthless ones.

Until it finally crashes. Delaying the inevitable only raises its cost and damage, exponentially.

I predict rates will stay the same...or change.

Last edited:

It's just one data point, but it is showing signs of the disinflation that the Fed wants to see.

WASHINGTON, April 3 (Reuters) - Federal Reserve officials, increasingly confident they have nipped a potential financial crisis in the bud, now face a difficult judgment on whether demand in the U.S. economy is falling and, if so, whether it is coming down fast enough to lower inflation.

If the U.S. central bank's policy meeting two weeks ago was dominated by concern that a pair of bank failures risked broader financial contagion - a potential reason to pause further interest rate increases - debate has quickly refocused on whether tighter monetary policy has started to show its impact on the broader economy, or if rates need to rise higher still.

No need to read all that we'll see Thursday afternoon how they are doing.

Markets will likely balk a bit if the Fed does raise rates again. Markets seem to be expecting a rate pause.

Wolf analyzes the details of the Fed's weekly report:
More:

I was looking for this info this morning. Posting it for future reference...

The most aggressive central bank tightening cycle for decades is reaching its finale. This is our definitive guide to global central banks as we enter another round of crucial meetings over the next few weeks

Federal Reserve​

Our call: 25bp hike in May marks the top. A six-month pause and then 50bp of rate cuts in November and December,

I don't think the markets are going to like another hike on May 3. I also don't think the Fed will cut rates that quickly.

I think the fed did a good even great job today.

Note: I'm basing that on how PMs reacted.

We are the frogs and the FED is boiling the water now. Gonna shut it all down to kill the middle class to force many onto the government plan.

The bankers and politicians want to collect a vig for doing nothing just as Trump Jr described.

The FED will not cut rates either until everything bottoms and more banks crash. They will be late.

AEP argues it's time to start easing pressure on the rails:
More (long):

It doesn't flippin' matter.

Because all this New Money gets its value from eroding the money that people actually WORKED for.

ZIRP just enables the moneychangers to play THEIR games. It's another form of subsidy, paid for by, again, printing money...absorbing the actual cost of lent funds.

We shouldn't HAVE a set interest rate - it should be a function of the market, to determine the cost of borrowed capital.

What we are seeing, is what comes of a manipulated command-and-control economy. We're seeing it as prices rising, from the destruction of the currency value. We're also seeing it as people and organizations that borrowed money at essentially no cost, a policy set by government managers' whim...now have to deal with a much-higher (but far lower than a market)cost of borrowed capital. Raised, again, basically by government-officials' whim.

One can plan against economic laws. There is NO defense against the whims of the politically powerful and connected.

It seems like the Fed is following market expectations - doing everything possible to not surprise the fragile market.

It seems like the Fed is following market expectations - doing everything possible to not surprise the fragile market.
Or maybe they are doing a better job setting the expectations/guidance so the markets understand what they are planning.

The Fed's forward guidance with yesterday's pause was hawkish in tone, but also not very firm (lot's of uncertainty):

... A dot plot of future expectations reveals total confusion. ...

More:

This might warrant it's own separate thread...

More:

Whether these numbers are real or made up BS, the Fed is going to use them to justify more rate hikes.

I get that this is controlled-demolition, to crash the dollar to aid rolling out the CBDCs...but, is it wrong to leave the era of zero-interest printed-up fiat that is also the World's Reserve Currency?

We should never have gotten to where we are, but the only way out is to normalize interest rates. Interest is the price of borrowed capital - and Free Money just destroys an economy. As we're seeing, with all the reckless borrowing and malinvestment.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…