Food Shortage & Price Explosion Thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BigJim

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
Post food shortages & price increases in your area.

Stocked up on a few things today. Hit 3 different places. Most prices about the same except for Redners's. 4.50 for Marie Callander's frozen dinners.

Had a laugh at Shoprite. Boxes of Quaker instant oatmeal 5.50. Same thing at Walmart 1.70. Wonder if anyone buys the stuff at Shoprite? Then again you can get a 10lb. 2pk (5lb. per pk) box of instant oatmeal at Sam's for 14.88.

For years, I have bought ten pound bags of chicken quarters at Walmart for seven dollars. They were usually large pieces, and ten per bag. I suspected they were worn out layer hens. A couple months ago, they changed the packaging and it is now nine dollars a bag, and the pieces are smaller, probably 13 or 14 pieces per bag. The bag also says something about a brine solution, so some of that ten pounds is probably water now.

Two weeks ago at Walmart, the entire (regular, white) sugar section was empty.

A five pound bag of shredded cheese went up from $16 to $18.

Frozen chicken breasts used to hover around $2/lb. In the last few months, they went to around $3.50/lb

Noticed the same thing with canned soups. Less of the good stuff and more broth. Some might call it shrinkflation. I'll call it screwflation. We're being hosed.

Stocked up on a few things today. Hit 3 different places. Most prices about the same except for Redners's. 4.50 for Marie Callander's frozen dinners.

Had a laugh at Shoprite. Boxes of Quaker instant oatmeal 5.50. Same thing at Walmart 1.70. Wonder if anyone buys the stuff at Shoprite? Then again you can get a 10lb. 2pk (5lb. per pk) box of instant oatmeal at Sam's for 14.88.
When I was up in Jersey I used to shop at Shop Rite all the time. They were as cheap as anyone. Now even Walmart is up 25% at least on a lot of the crap we buy there.

Hit Walmart, Sam's & Shoprite earlier this AM. Shelves overflowing. Isles packed. No shortages on anything. Prices are what they are.

‘A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius…’.

Hit Shoprite yesterday. Prices up all around. They used to have oatmeal cookies (their brand) for around $1.75. They disappeared for a while. They bought them back.........1/2 the package size and smaller cookies at $3.59. Shrinkflation (screwflation) at it's finest.

Shrinkflation has always gone on in limited measures, but the level of shrinkflation taking place right now is astonishing.

From the link:

If you're like most Americans, you've probably done a double-take after seeing the price of eggs at the grocery store. The past two years have brought a stream of various food shortages and price increases, and eggs have been hit particularly hard lately.

A report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics claims that the price of eggs has jumped 49.1 percent in the span of about a year. And as the Seattle Times reports, "The average cost of a dozen large, Grade A eggs more than doubled to $3.59 in November 2022 from $1.72 in November 2021."

From Scotland.

Cost of living crisis: Scots living on the brink​

Jan 6, 2023

2022 was a year where living standards were squeezed as the costs of basic essentials like gas, electricity, food and fuel soared.

Scotland Tonight's Olly Dickinson hears from a mix of people caught in the eye of the ongoing economic storm and finds out about the difficult decisions they take to make ends meet. 10:00

$7.98 for 18 store brand eggs ("on sale") tonight. That's up something like 80-100% increase in the last year or so.
That's 44+ cents an egg!!

It's all the military "aid" we are sending over there.

The price of eggs has gone way up because hens are making shells.

Food insecurity in the U.S. rose in 2022, reaching the highest level in four years.

The share of adults reporting food insecurity over the last year increased to 24.6% in December 2022, up from 20% the previous two years and 23.3% in December 2019, according to the latest survey by the center-left think tank the Urban Institute.

The annual Well-Being and Basic Needs Survey polled more than 7,500 adults ages 18 to 64. (Food insecurity essentially refers to when people are unable to afford adequate food for one or more family members.)

“Although investments in federal nutrition programs and other federal aid during the COVID-19 pandemic helped mitigate hunger, families contended with a new economic stressor in 2022: food price inflation,” the authors wrote.

In December 2022, food prices were 10.4% higher than the previous year and overall inflation was 6.5%, according to government data.

Some 63% of adults said their household grocery costs increased — a higher share than those who reported price increases in gasoline, home heating, rent, child care, health-insurance premiums and mortgage payments, the survey found.

I actually think the prices on some of our regular grocery items have come down a bit from the highs of a few months ago. Not back to pre-pandemic prices of course, but less than what they were.

In the early 90's you could get a lb of beluga for about 800-1000 bucks and that was in NYC. Now over 12k. Insane how expensive this has gotten.

In the early 90's you could get a lb of beluga for about 800-1000 bucks and that was in NYC. Now over 12k. Insane how expensive this has gotten.

That video was very interesting.
Excellent served alone, solely on a mother of pearl spoon.
But I guess this leaves me out since I have no pearl handled spoons.

But I guess this leaves me out since I have no pearl handled spoons.
436308_v1.gif

I actually think the prices on some of our regular grocery items have come down a bit from the highs of a few months ago. Not back to pre-pandemic prices of course, but less than what they were
Could you give some specific examples of what you've seen coming down in price?

Asking because I've seen no evidence of anything getting cheaper, groceries or otherwise.

In fact, I'm seeing further price increases, not to the same extent as last year, but still increases.

One example is baby food. Prior to the gov-triggered price spike, gerber was 99 cents/jar. Then it jumped up to $1.24. It recently went to $1.38

The beech nut brand was even worse. It went from 99 cents to $1.48 last year. A 50% increase in one fell swoop.
....and everything else at the grocery store has also gone up by the same 25-50% over the past year.
....yet the gov's rigged inflation numbers try to tell us prices are up less than 10%. Lol

Edited to add: saw a bag of plain tortilla chips with a $5.99 price stamped on the bag, and most other snack chips were in the $4-5 range. F'in cRaZy!

Could you give some specific examples of what you've seen coming down in price?
That post was from a month ago. One item that I remember distinctly is chicken. The prices for chicken thighs (bone in with skin) and drumsticks prepandemic were running around $0.79 - $0.99/lb, shot up to $1.99/lb and are currently around $1.49/lb at my local Costco. There were other items that also have come down a little, but I didn't make a mental list of them. I notice them mostly when I'm at the store shopping.

I notice them mostly when I'm at the store shopping.
Next time you go shopping, try to make a mental note of the most notable price decreases (or increases) you see, and let us know.

That post was from a month ago. One item that I remember distinctly is chicken. The prices for chicken thighs (bone in with skin) and drumsticks prepandemic were running around $0.79 - $0.99/lb, shot up to $1.99/lb and are currently around $1.49/lb at my local Costco. There were other items that also have come down a little, but I didn't make a mental list of them. I notice them mostly when I'm at the store shopping.
I see a few things like that. Eggs, dairy, chicken, some frozen foods that have come back down from their highest point, but are still well above where they were a couple years ago.

Hit Shoprite early today. Frozen dinners sky high. Some things a bit lower than in the past month but still high.......imo.

Wonder how true this report is? Time will tell.

Egg prices expected to drop to $1 a dozen​

Story by Lauren Barry • 39m ago

After hitting an all time high in January, egg prices are falling. In fact, one expert thinks that consumers will be able to buy a dozen for just $1 soon.

“It’s certainly been undergoing a very sharp correction,” said Karyn Rispoli od market research firm Urner Barry. She made the $1 prediction, according to CNBC.

As of Wednesday, wholesale egg prices were at $1.22 a dozen, per Urner Barry data cited by the outlet.

More:

Food Pantries Are Swamped After Covid Benefits End​

May 7, 2023

6:38

Covid-era benefits are coming to an end. For those receiving SNAP benefits for food assistance, this means at least $95 less per month. VICE News visits one food pantry in Kentucky that has seen mile long lines for donations since benefits were cut.

From the link:

As the U.S. government on Wednesday released its latest inflation report, the watchdog Accountable.US put out a new analysis detailing how Americans face food insecurity while major food corporations are padding their profits with price hikes.

"Big Food's staggering increase in earnings shows they did not need to raise prices so high on consumers but did so anyway to maximize record profits," said Liz Zelnick, director of Economic Security and Corporate Power at Accountable.US, in a statement.

"It's shameful that Americans are left food insecure and have to skip meals while corporations and their wealthy shareholders enjoy the spoils of supersized profits under unjustified price hikes," she added. "It's clear that the food industry will not hold itself accountable. It's time Congress do more to rein in corporate greed, one of the main factors currently driving up costs for families."

WARNING‼️What is "Greedflation" and why is it SO Dangerous⁉️😲

Jun 16, 2023

8:45

Stefani Lord, a state lawmaker in New Mexico, came out of a Costco Wholesale store with a big bill and apparently wasn’t happy about it.

The Republican took to Twitter to post her receipt — $799.38 for 58 items — and to sarcastically thank President Joe Biden.

She declined to itemize the purchases reflected on the receipt but insisted the bulk of her bill was for food, like chicken thighs and frozen broccoli, or for smaller nonfood items, like paper towels and razors. She later characterized those raising questions about the nature of her purchases as “progressive left-wingers” and “triggered.”

As someone who frequently shops at Costco, most of their food items range anywhere from $10 to $20 each without getting into any of the high end product. $800 isn't unreasonable by Costco standards for 58 items (49 food items).

As someone who frequently shops at Costco, most of their food items range anywhere from $10 to $20 each without getting into any of the high end product. $800 isn't unreasonable by Costco standards for 58 items (49 food items).

I saw this on Twitter. The price per item and considering the paper products, it was pretty typical.This is bulk purchasing. You are not buying a jar of pasta sauce, you have to buy a pack of 3. Meat is in family size packs and needs to be divided when you get home to meet your family needs. However, this price is still higher than two years ago by double digit inflation...not corporate greed.

I saw this on Twitter. The price per item and considering the paper products, it was pretty typical.This is bulk purchasing. You are not buying a jar of pasta sauce, you have to buy a pack of 3. Meat is in family size packs and needs to be divided when you get home to meet your family needs. However, this price is still higher than two years ago by double digit inflation...not corporate greed.

Bulk purchasing is right. We don't have a Costco, but we have a Sam's Club nearby. It is pretty easy to drop a few hundred bucks. But you are getting a lot of stuff. Bulk packs of chicken breasts and chicken legs, then get home and fire up the vacuum sealer and stock the freezer. The 12 packs of tomato and cream of chicken soup, the three to five (and higher) pound packages of dry beans and rice, and so forth. A few hundred bucks might seem like a lot, but you can really stock the freezer and pantry if you shop wisely.

Nov 22 (Reuters) - Kraft (KHC.O), General Mills (GIS.N) and other major food companies persuaded a federal jury in Chicago that top U.S. egg producers are liable for unlawfully inflating prices, paving the way for a second trial to determine damages.

The verdict on Tuesday followed a more than five-week antitrust trial against a group of egg producers including Cal-Maine Foods (CALM.O), the country's largest egg producer and distributor, and Rose Acre, the second-largest, over claims that they had "rigged" the market by conspiring to charge artificially high prices.

Carrefour says it will not sell PepsiCo goods due to price hikes​

January 4, 2024 4:28 AM ES Updated 2 hours ago

PARIS, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Carrefour (CARR.PA) is telling customers it will no longer sell PepsiCo products like Pepsi, Lay's crisps and 7up because they had become too costly, in the latest tug-of-war over prices between retailers and global food giants.

From Thursday, shelves with PepsiCo (PEP.O) products at Carrefour stores in France will be accompanied by a note saying "We are no longer selling this brand due to unacceptable price increases," a spokesperson for the French retailer said.

PepsiCo did not respond to a request for comment.

The U.S. company said in October it planned "modest" price hikes this year as demand held up despite rises, leading it to hike its 2023 profit forecast for a third straight time.

More:

ARIS, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Carrefour (CARR.PA) is telling customers it will no longer sell PepsiCo products like Pepsi, Lay's crisps and 7up because they had become too costly, in the latest tug-of-war over prices between retailers and global food giants.
I don't know who Carrefour is, but I applaud their decision. Any product from Pepsi, Lay's, or 7up is a luxury item. The mfg cost is totally disconnected from the retail price. If they claim that the cost of corn syrup or potatoes requires that they raise their prices, then... THEY ARE LIARS. THEY LIE! Does a 12 ounce bag of potato chips need to be three or four bucks!? NO! The cost of the potatoes are fifty cents at most. (And for those assholes who challenge me about making my own chips and fries, YES I DO use my deep frier for homemade chips and fries.

The snack food industry is managed by insane people. When a bag of potato chips is four dollars and a 5 pound bag of potatoes is three dollars, it is obvious there is a problem. My advice is to kill the parasites once and forever by refusing to buy the foods sold as "snacks". Just kill their market and they can't ever come back again. They can't return to suck our blood.

That is my "modest proposal". (Of course, I expect everyone to be educated and to get the reference.)

I don't know who Carrefour is, ...
From the Carr.PA link:
Carrefour SA is a France-based retail distribution group, which operates through four geographical segments: France, Rest of Europe, Latin America and Asia. The Group operates more than 12,000 stores and e-commerce sites in more than 30 countries across the globe. Its stores come in a variety of formats and channels, such as hypermarkets, supermarkets, convenience stores, cash & carry stores, hyper cash stores, drive and e-commerce. ...

Back
Top Bottom