FT says CFTC to drop silver investigation

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
A four-year investigation into the possible manipulation of the the silver market looks increasingly likely to be dropped after US regulators failed to find enough evidence to support a legal case, according to three people familiar with the situation.

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission announced that it was investigating "complaints of misconduct in the silver market" in September 2008, following a barrage of allegations of manipulation from a group of precious metals investors.

In 2010, Bart Chilton, a CFTC commissioner, said that he believed there had been "fraudulent efforts" to "deviously control" the silver price.

But after taking advice from two external consultancies, the first of which found irregularities on certain trading dates that it believed deserved more analysis, CFTC staff do not have sufficient evidence to bring a case, according to the people familiar with the situation.

The agency's five commissioners have not yet formally determined the outcome of the investigation, leaving the possibility that staff could be instructed to dig deeper. A CFTC spokesman said: "The investigation has not reached its conclusion." He declined further comment.

More: http://gata.org/node/11634

:noevil:

Commissioner Chilton has informed us that ‘The Financial Times report related to silver is not only premature, but inaccurate in several respects‘.

As to whether Chilton believes the silver market has been manipulated the Commissioner informed us:

‘I continue to believe, consistent with my previous statements to which you referred, and based upon information from the public, that there have been devious efforts related to moving the price of silver. Incidentally, I also believe there have been silver and gold market anomalies outside of the silver investigate window that have raised, and continue to raise, market concerns.‘

The Doc’s full correspondence with Commissioner Chilton is included below:

More: http://www.silverdoctors.com/bart-c...been-devious-efforts-to-move-price-of-silver/

nicholson-thumb.jpg

Guys.. they had to raise the capital in the open market. No conspiracy here. The whole company almost went under because of one dumb a$$.

Derek, I think you misunderstood DCF's post. This thread is not about Knight. <or maybe it is I who misunderstood your post?>

yesterday's Capital Account was on that, with GATA's Chris Powell:

CFTC punted:
U.S. regulators on Wednesday closed a five-year investigation into alleged manipulation of the silver market, saying 7,000 staff hours of investigation produced no evidence of wrongdoing.

The decision by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission was a defeat for silver commentators and investors who urged the probe, saying big banks were using futures and options to hold prices down. Big traders had dismissed the investigation as a waste of time and the charges as a conspiracy theory.

The CFTC formally closed the probe six months after a U.S. District Court dismissed a class action lawsuit making similar claims against JPMorgan Chase & Co..

"Based upon the law and evidence as they exist at this time, there is not a viable basis to bring an enforcement action with respect to any firm or its employees related to our investigation of silver markets," the CFTC said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/25/us-cftc-silver-idUSBRE98O0SR20130925

h/t: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-...anipulation-investigation-finds-nothing-wrong

And on that news, silver gets taken to the woodshed. Nice.

I want Blythe Masters head on a fucking stick. :-(

Back
Top Bottom