GIM2 refugees

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

As for support donations: GIM had 1 yearly drive that actually took in more than necessary to keep the place going. Here you have a monthly and a yearly deal that are continuous (one a month or once a year) until you directly cancel it. Some GIMers may be a bit leery of that. There were GIMers who were also leery of Pal pal even though that's how GIM did their yearly donations drive. I have a pay pal account but for GIM would simply pay as a guest with a credit card. One payment - one time and done. Have never had a problem doing that nor have I had a problem with pay pal. But that's just me. Maybe some would be more comfortable with a direct payment method so they could bypass pay pal?

I'll have to (re-)investigate the software's options for non-subscription based user upgrades. If an integrated option exists for one time payments, I'll see about setting one up. My main thing is that running this site is not my day job (and I'm not retired yet - I actually do have a day job ... and a family). I've got a lot of other non-bug responsibilities, so I don't have the time to be manually adjusting user's accounts based upon whether they have sent me one time payments (whether by PayPal, check or whatever).

Details on different user groups/posting permissions/payment options are explained in this thread: https://www.pmbug.com/threads/premium-memberships-help-support-the-site.6/

@kelstar - posting permissions (ie. who can post where) are the same for everyone. Upgraded memberships get expanded use of private message conversations and signatures and possibly something else that I've long forget about. Edit: custom titles under their usernames

One thing I don't see is how to PM anyone. Another is posting a picture by click n dragging it into the post.

Not complaining, just sharing what isn't the same. Not that it has to be the same mind... just noting it.

Another neat feature I've seen at other forums was up and down arrows in the lower right corner. Takes you to the top of the page or to the bottom. It's pretty handy to get around the place.

RE up n down arrows.

I just saw the up arrow on another page. It probably 'kicks in' after a certain number of posts is my guess?

One thing I don't see is how to PM anyone. Another is posting a picture by click n dragging it into the post.

Not complaining, just sharing what isn't the same. Not that it has to be the same mind... just noting it.

Another neat feature I've seen at other forums was up and down arrows in the lower right corner. Takes you to the top of the page or to the bottom. It's pretty handy to get around the place.

If you hold the mouse over the poster's name you should see a start conversation tab. Maybe a DM haven't tried so not sure.

You (@Goldhedge ) are still in the 'registered' user group. You should see everything when you are switched into the 'active' users group. Should be tomorrow for you I think.

The forum software shows an up arrow when you scroll the page a smidge (on computer - not sure about mobile at the moment). Having both up and down arrows is likely a custom modification. If it's something folks want, I can look around the Xenforo forums to see if it's something readily available.

Tried that. What I see is 'Follow' 'Ignore' 'Gift Upgrade'.

You are still in the 'registered' user group. You should see everything when you are switched into the 'active' users group. Should be tomorrow for you I think.
Makes sense.

Yeah, it's a user group permission thing as mentioned before. Can't let spammers join the forum and spam members with PMs. It's a real headache to police otherwise.

@BeefJerky - your activation email got lost in your email providers spam bin (ie. blocked at the server level so you never got it in your inbox). It happens sometimes (more often with some email systems, like the one you are using, than others).

Anyone that doesn't get their activation email within an hour or so should go ahead and use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page here to send me a note and I'll see about validating the registration.

Just curious if this forum is primarily going to be PM's?

Politics influences all aspects of PM's and I guess I'm asking if there could be a "Politics" forum to catch all the political machinations going on?

@kelstar - posting permissions (ie. who can post where) are the same for everyone. Upgraded memberships get expanded use of private message conversations and signatures and possibly something else that I've long forget about. Edit: custom titles under their usernames
[/QUOTE]
thanks, Ill carry this back to GIM so people understand what they are signing up for.

... I'm asking if there could be a "Politics" forum to catch all the political machinations going on?

I can accommodate that. Would you all prefer a public forum (seen by search engines/guests) or private forum (only seen by logged in members)?

I can accommodate that. Would you all prefer a public forum (seen by search engines/guests) or private forum (only seen by logged in members)?
Public if you want to create interest from folks passing by? It would be an aggregate from the net. A 'one-stop' gathering place for political goings on in the world.

But let's see what others have to say about it.

Political? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go. Just asking.

Political? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go. Just asking.

Me personally? Not too far. But if there is sufficient interest, I'll create space for topics as needed. Just remember that forum guidelines apply everywhere. Let's keep a sense of decorum while discussing ... hot takes.

Alright, a public facing forum room has been created. :)

Yes there were those that pushed the envelope. I prefer keeping it to topical headlines myself.

Can't imagine who or what topics you could possibly mean. ;) I was thinking more along the lines of Mr. I Am The Science (The Runt) experimental injections stuff like that.

Thanks bug. Do you have moderators employed here?

Employed? lulz...

Years ago when pmbug was somewhat active, I had some members helping moderate the site (strictly volunteer basis), but things have been really quiet for a long time, so I've been running the place solo. That will likely change if the forum takes on enough refugees and gets really active though.

Employed? lulz...

Years ago when pmbug was somewhat active, I had some members helping moderate the site (strictly volunteer basis), but things have been really quiet for a long time, so I've been running the place solo. That will likely change if the forum takes on enough refugees and gets really active though.
<sarc> This could become your day job if what I think is about to happen, happens. </sarc>

[There are a lot of refugees out there.]

Mostly a bunch of old rejects from Vronsky's old site at Gold Eagle and a few other boards that splintered off of that. You might need a cage for the incoming.

GIM2 refugee here and I take offense to the racist referral to cages. Everybody at GIM2 knows we belong in a rubber room instead.

Back
Top Bottom