GIM2 refugees

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yep. I've been logged in at various times today.
It's just no longer viewable without logging in (at least I can't see it without logging in).
I have an off-the-grid friend who doesn't have conventional internet access - can only get on for short times. She'd never joined GIM but followed closely...when an interesting thread popped up, she'd save it, and read it later. That helped for prepping, for getting through the "Cerveza Sickness" as George Gammon calls it.

Even to following our personal stories and dynamics.

Now she can't follow, anymore. She could register, except that Scorp is not taking new members in. He took a couple in, same time he announced (I had referred those people here) but that was apparently to clear the line.

She actually had gotten pretty dependent on our info-flow. She's emailing me, now...where can I keep on getting good information? I gave her this site, but...I don't know.

I have an off-the-grid friend who doesn't have conventional internet access - can only get on for short times. She'd never joined GIM but followed closely...when an interesting thread popped up, she'd save it, and read it later. That helped for prepping, for getting through the "Cerveza Sickness" as George Gammon calls it.

Even to following our personal stories and dynamics.

Now she can't follow, anymore. She could register, except that Scorp is not taking new members in. He took a couple in, same time he announced (I had referred those people here) but that was apparently to clear the line.

She actually had gotten pretty dependent on our info-flow. She's emailing me, now...where can I keep on getting good information? I gave her this site, but...I don't know.
Invite her here for when we change over. We need more women!!!!

Invite her here for when we change over. We need more women!!!!
She doesn't do forums. Part of the reason is, bandwidth. She'll scan, but not to input and surf.

No Internet. A smartphone hotspot is her only connection. So, she'll quickly open pages, save them on her laptop, and then read them at her leisure.

Since her entire spread is a remarkable layout - horses, a garden, set back four miles from public roads - who am I to criticize? She hasn't got the money for HughesNet, and the cable company wants money to run a feeder out that way.

She doesn't do forums. Part of the reason is, bandwidth. She'll scan, but not to input and surf.

No Internet. A smartphone hotspot is her only connection. So, she'll quickly open pages, save them on her laptop, and then read them at her leisure.

Since her entire spread is a remarkable layout - horses, a garden, set back four miles from public roads - who am I to criticize? She hasn't got the money for HughesNet, and the cable company wants money to run a feeder out that way.
up untill a year ago we did everything via hotspot and we still do if internet goes down.....lol just last week ours was down so we put one phone in the window with a power cord ...made it a hotspot ....ran a couple of puters on it fine......my female unit even ran a couple of zoom meetings but she did have some spotty video on those...we do have unlimited data on the phones

Yeah, I've used hotspots, too.

Depends on your plan and your carrier. Also, it may be that she doesn't want to be seduced into wasting time on these boards. You can imagine, with a job, a half-fast farm, and animals and gardens to look after, she's tight on time.

Yeah, I've used hotspots, too.

Depends on your plan and your carrier. Also, it may be that she doesn't want to be seduced into wasting time on these boards. You can imagine, with a job, a half-fast farm, and animals and gardens to look after, she's tight on time.
I have tried to get several of the prepper women to join and none of them are interested either. Most of them are on prepper.net.

If you want I could identify as... errr <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets>itit.

It's just not the same thing!
It would be really interesting to know if anyone over the years misrepresented their gender on GIM.

Almost certainly. And almost certainly, they had a problem or two.

That's for out in the boonies.

That's really good. Who's your provider?

Fiber to the house?

a local fella started the business about 20 yrs ago

i dont know how all this internet stuff works , i am really computer handicapped lol

all i know is we were told that there is a fiberoptics hub in our town and we have high speed wireless www

RebeltecCommunications

RebeltecCommunications
if you are wireless to your home...

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 8.19.17 PM.png

5Mbps isn't really fast. You can check your speed by going to

That will tell you your up and down speeds. Up is usually slower because once you send something you don't care how long it takes. Down is where the action is.

I suspect you don't have cable to your house - reason for the wireless part?

This is what I currently have. 'Up to' 600Mbps is advertised.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 8.29.54 PM.png

View attachment 4359

That will tell you your up and down speeds. Up is usually slower because once you send something you don't care how long it takes. Down is where the action is.

View attachment 4360

LOL.....we are tickled to get 10mbs dl.....and 1.5mbs ul ......... that is all thats availible only thing possibly faster would be starlink

View attachment 4359

View attachment 4360

How far we have come. Frankly, it is beyond comprehending. I was a bleeding edge engineer on a truly portable (as in, camel portable) computer with a read/write speed of 300 BAUD.

For those of you without gray hair, BAUD is a measurement of signal acquisition/transmission. So 300 BAUD was the blazing (*choke*) speed: 300 symbols per second. You could read it like someone was typing it.

And now, we blandly look at 224 Megabytes (8 bits/symbols -- per byte) per second. 😵‍💫 In the fargin boonies, yet.

How far we have come. Frankly, it is beyond comprehending. I was a bleeding edge engineer on a truly portable (as in, camel portable) computer with a read/write speed of 300 BAUD.

For those of you without gray hair, BAUD is a measurement of signal acquisition/transmission. So 300 BAUD was the blazing (*choke*) speed: 300 symbols per second. You could read it like someone was typing it.

And now, we blandly look at 224 Megabytes (8 bits/symbols -- per byte) per second. 😵‍💫 In the fargin boonies, yet.
I started with 1200 baud, was tickled when it doubled to 2400 baud and thought we were "cookin with gas" when 9600 baud became available.
laughing-mouse.gif

View attachment 4359

View attachment 4360

cable is available out here but i dont need that nor do i want it…same with dish or anything connected to TV

the tv disappeared from my life about 15 yrs ago when they told me i had to buy this box to switch from analog to digital

feck that and i swear i have not missed tv one iota…

what is a good reason to own a tv?….everything on tv is on my ipad

so in effect , i still guess i have a tv only i control the vertical , i control the horizontal, and i control the sound…

E389D905-3FA0-4201-A345-9D480B4EB0E1.jpeg

I remember working at a school district when we got new rack mounted 2400 baud! Thems was the days!

If it wasn't for the wife, I wouldn't have TV. I'm ALWAYS on the laptop w Sony noise cancelling headphones and she's watching the Hallmark channel or sports! Never was much of a sports nut, but she sure is! I look up occasionally to watch a play being made.

I really can't stand the jaw flappers talking over the game. Bla Blah Blahhh... flapping they lips as if they have something to say.

Everything is online. EVERYTHING!

Spinal you could get OTA TV from Cheyenne Mt. Maybe even Denver? Free. If you had a TV that is... :unsure: 😁

back in the day folks out here had to have a 50’ foot pole with an antenna and there are still a few of the poles still standing

ill try and take a photo today if i can remember

cable is available out here but i dont need that nor do i want it…same with dish or anything connected to TV

the tv disappeared from my life about 15 yrs ago when they told me i had to buy this box to switch from analog to digital

feck that and i swear i have not missed tv one iota…

what is a good reason to own a tv?….everything on tv is on my ipad

so in effect , i still guess i have a tv only i control the vertical , i control the horizontal, and i control the sound…

View attachment 4375
TV is for the creativeless and simpletons.

weather..... last tornado that went through was a few miles from my house. Whatever technology they use knew exactly where the rotation was.
It's called Doppler Radar. Makes it pretty easy to see rotation. Anyone can look at it and see exactly where the tornado is at. No weatherman required.

In fact, a few years ago a big one was headed in my general direction, and when it was still 75 miles away I was able to make a correct determination of exactly where it was headed (down to the neighborhood it went through), using the weather tools freely available online. If I can do it, anyone can.

TV must have some redeeming features.
Can someone assist me in discovering them?

One redeeming quality they used to have, was that you could set a potted plant on top of them. Not so much anymore though. lol

TV must have some redeeming features.
Can someone assist me in discovering them?
Schadenfreude?

When the "leaders" the half-wits support, finally get the nuclear war with Russia that they've been pounding their puds over, for six years...when that happens, and tevee goes down...oh, these simpletons gonna HURT.

I won't notice. It'll be a bummer not to have electric lights, at least not for trivial things like evening reading...but not having the boob-toob will be just a big yawn. And I'll be LAAAAFFFIN...watching the morons struggle with withdrawl.

Some GIM archives from the wayback machine. Click onto the year you're interested in. If there is anything there it will be highlighted in blue. Click on to that and have a ball.

http://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/https://www.goldismoney2.com

Edit to add: Link to Survival (Preps & Homestead) - March 10, 2016. Whole lotta neat stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom