Growing liability of being a citizen of the U.S.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, besides PM's one could also "collect" guns and ammo. Think about it for a minute, because all of my guns are still in 98 - 100% condition therefore have held their value or risen in value. I build my own AR-15's that cost me around 900 each for quality parts and when they are finished, they are worth twice as much.

I figure I have six or eight rifles and pistols for trade/sale/barter when the baloon goes up, but only to the "right" person. Same for ammo, which will disappear immediately. a case of a thousand rounds of 62gr. steel core virgin brass ammo is around $225 - $255, so you can pick a case up every month to six weeks, have plenty of ammo to pracrtice and have a nice supply as well.

Wow. She is a completely jellyfish.

"FATCA will require foreign financial institutions to report directly to the IRS information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers..."

Who the heck do they think they are?

"FATCA will require foreign financial institutions to report directly to the IRS information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers..."

There is a reason why every time I talk to people from other countries, their number one description of how the U.S. is viewed internationally is "arrogant".

:wave:

I have travelled literally millions of miles in my life, visiting many, many countries during those years, and Americans are now regarded with disdain in most nations. I always say I am from Costa Rica, because I speak perfect high spanish and can get away with it. this insures that I wil not get second class treatment.

Response to the outcry from Eduardo Saverin:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/faceb...ca-is-ok--it’s-the-rules-that-are-a-pain.html

“U.S. citizens are severely restricted as to what they can invest in and where they can maintain accounts,” said spokesman Tom Goodman. “Many foreign funds and banks won’t accept Americans. This was a financial rather than a tax motive.”

"Treasury Department officials say they don’t see evidence of a systemic problem for Americans living abroad arising from FATCA."

:rotflmbo:

I agree Ben, this is outrageous. Since Congress has no plans on fixing the currently completely fucked up system, many are opting to stop allowing the US to crush their nuts.

Shumer is an idiot. There couldn't be a clearer statement that FedGov considers you to be their vassal.

Good commentary on Shumer's ideas:
http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/r...this-is-not-how-a-free-society-treats-people/

"It’s interesting that, rather than change their ways of doing business and introducing legislation that provides incentives for productive people to come here and stay here, they maintain policies that chase people away, and introduce new ones to lock the door after they’re gone."

:rotflmbo::clap::judge::agree:

Schumer is a social engineer who would like nothing more than being able to dictate exactly how much money we should be allowed to have.

I will never understand how these fucktards continue to get re-elected. Never. ;-(

Schumer is a social engineer who would like nothing more than being able to dictate exactly how much money we should be allowed to have.

I will never understand how these fucktards continue to get re-elected. Never. ;-(

My biggest fear is this type of politicians taking over to "save" us when realities of decades of over spending catches up with the U.S.

:(

I hear Chuckie is really good at bringing *your* tax money into *his* district. Else I can't figure out why they let the fucknut live. Everything he does is stupid as far as I can tell, and he's on my short list of those who might not be missed too much in politics. He's NRA (and VCDL and GOA and....) FFF on top.

Shumer's idea is actually gaining traction, supported now by House Speaker John Boehner:
http://www.sovereignman.com/finance...step-closer-to-becoming-permanent-tax-slaves/

"1) Individuals who are deemed, in the sole discretion of the US government, to have renounced US citizenship in order to avoid US taxes, will be permanently barred from re-entering the United States.
2) Such individuals will also be required to pay a 30% capital gains tax to the United States government on ALL future investment gains derived from the US. Currently, non-citizens who do not reside in the US pay no US capital gains tax.
3) These proposals are RETROACTIVE, and, if passed, would apply to anyone who renounced his/her citizenship within the last 10-years."

they probably will... Mob rules in times of distress, and mob is both stupid, and easy to steer by anybody cynical enough.

Guys, I am sorry to say, but your country is turning quickly into Soviet Russia/Soviet block - where people of course were denied passports & freedom of travel, in case any of them have decided to leave the Greatest and Most Prosperous & Progressive social system known to humanity - Communism... The parallels are so many and so strong, there is simply no escape the final conclusion.

That is absolutely scary, and it boggles my mind - how stupid people are...

...and how the heck are they going to enforce this rule, on financial institutions not being within their fecking JURISDICTION, or is this word not needed in US English anymore? I mean, will they invade New Zealand, Poland, or whatever other country you can think of, because let's say National Bank of Poland, assume, wouldn't give shit about that US legislation, and will open accounts to US passport holders, without even farting in IRS direction - as they should rightly do???? What the heck, this is completely from another planet!

Last edited:
Sadly, this would have never been punished if he didn't happen to be a judge:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/06/0...d-raffaele-says-police-officer-struck-him.xml

"Justice Raffaele said that after the officer struck him and he regained his composure, he asked another officer who was in charge and was directed to a sergeant, who, like the officer who hit him, was from the 115th Precinct. He told the sergeant that he wanted to make a complaint.

The sergeant, he said, stepped away and spoke briefly with some other officers - several of whom the judge said had witnessed their colleague strike him - and returned to tell the judge that none of them knew whom he was talking about. As the sergeant spoke to the other officers, the judge said, the officer who hit him was walking away."

"In this instance," he said, Internal Affairs "is reviewing the complaint because it was brought to its attention by the judge, not because of the level of injury."
...well, just like in all totalitarian regimes - 'all people are equal'. But some are more equal, than the others. Like you said - if he wasn't a judge, nobody would give a damn.

Wow, just WOW....
http://news.yahoo.com/senators-unve...ks-saverins-110209401--abc-news-politics.html

"The plan would bar individuals like Saverin from ever reentering the United States again"

Well, the way I see it, if you want to renounce your citizenship for some financial reason, all well and good. But these folks better understand there is a price to be paid. Like it or not, once you renounce, you are no longer an american citizen and you can be denied entry into the United States.

And as long as such restrictions remain in place, its an easy decision cos the system has still to be fixed.

Wierd how they seem unable to see the effect of such restrictions.
Makes it simpler to upgrade the whole USSA to meet the FEMA camp spec though.

More bad news, this from Slashdot:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/07...us-govt-new-powers-over-communication-systems

An anonymous reader writes "President Obama has issued a new executive order: 'Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions.' EPIC reports: 'The Executive Order grants new powers to the Department of Homeland Security, including the ability to collect certain public communications information. Under the Executive Order the White House has also granted the Department the authority to seize private facilities when necessary, effectively shutting down or limiting civilian communications.' A few key excerpts from the exec order: 'The views of all levels of government, the private and nonprofit sectors, and the public must inform the development of national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP) [National Security/Emergency Preparedness] communications policies, programs, and capabilities. ... Sec. 5.2. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall: (a) oversee the development, testing, implementation, and sustainment of NS/EP communications, including: communications that support Continuity of Government; Federal, State, local, territorial, and tribal emergency preparedness and response communications; non-military executive branch communications systems; critical infrastructure protection networks; and non-military communications networks, particularly with respect to prioritization and restoration; .... (e) satisfy priority communications requirements through the use of commercial, Government, and privately owned communications resources, when appropriate."

Seems they've figured out they can raise the temperature on the frog-boiling pot quicker than before.

One of the important (to me) statements was "to ensure the continuity of government". This surely and finally confirms that it's not an external threat they are really worried about. Instead, they are frightened we will take power back from them, or so it seems.

You wouldn't need all this for other cases at all. Americans cheerfully volunteer to help with real external threats, no special orders or laws have been required, historically. The world wars serve as an example there.

Frightened people are dangerous. We have a frightened executive branch. They probably realize more than we how we've been screwed by them. Via projection (fancy psych term) they probably fear retribution in kind - or worse.

In other words "I know I've done to you things that if done to me, would make me want to hurt you - therefore, I'm now your enemy because I screwed you and have to be afraid of you now - when you figure it out, you're going to be real angry.".

Self-created negative loops are still loops. Funny old world. I prefer self-fulfilling prophecies when they are a lot more positive, though.

How to Revolt Quietly Against the Feds

From an article "Americans Revolt Billions of Times a Day" by Jerry Bowyer

"We follow speed limits when we think they are being enforced only. Dads let their teenaged kids drink beer. People cross the state line to buy fireworks, or any good when the sales tax is lower. People on unemployment compensation stretch it out so they can work on their eBay business.

"Retirees buy discount drugs from Canada. Families share prescription antibiotics with other family members for whom they have not been prescribed. A man with cancer smokes marijuana even though he doesn't live in a medical marijuana state. When we are driving at night and we come to a T in the road with a stop sign and there is no one else around, we slow down and roll through the stop sign. We eschew seatbelt laws when we take short safe jaunts up the block. We let our kids do a little practice driving in the parking lot before they get their learner's permit.

"We don't recycle every time they tell us to. We top off the gas tank even though they tell us not to. If they announce they are going to illegalize normal light bulbs, we buy more, not less of them to stock up. If we think that gasoline will kill the poison ivy better than some biodegradable eco-approved watered down stuff, we use the gas. Even though certain states had anti-sodomy statutes on the books up until just a few years ago, gay people had sex in their homes all the time, and did not give a thought to the ordinances.

"Businesses split in half so as to be qualified for small business exemptions from federal regulation. Farmers look the other way when they hire day laborers who clearly are not citizens. Federal regulators write their regulations, and financiers change their form of organization in unforeseen ways to avoid the regulations, even ones they pushed for.

"George Soros delists his hedge fund to avoid rules his beneficiaries wrote. Businesses treat many regulations as cost of business and just pay the fine rather than incur extreme costs. Factories and labs create commonsense workarounds to arbitrary OSHA regulations.

"And most people have absolutely no moral compunction about any of these violations of the either the spirit or the letter of the law, because deep down they no longer believe that the law, especially the tax code, represents any compelling moral principle, nor do its dictates seem any longer to be fair. They don't think their home state has earned taxes on the Amazon purchases or that it deserves any share of the mutually beneficial exchange between you and your dry wall guy.

"I bet you can think of a few dozen more examples, and increasingly we're all in business and in personal life thinking of more and more ways to game a system which we have less and less faith in."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/should-you-renounce-your-citizenship-144048875.html

"As of 2013, 77% of Americans will pay higher federal tax rates"

"Nigel Green, CEO of deVere Group, which provides financial services for expatriates, said that since the start of this year, 48% more of his clients in January than in a typical month inquired about moving funds abroad and the possible tax implications of changing citizenship."

"If you earn $1 million a year, that’s almost $396,000 you’re keeping in your pocket (based on the top 39.6% income tax rate) if you said goodbye to the U.S. and took up residency in a place like Monaco, which doesn’t tax income at all."

:popcorn:

I have travelled literally millions of miles in my life, visiting many, many countries during those years, and Americans are now regarded with disdain in most nations. I always say I am from Costa Rica, because I speak perfect high spanish and can get away with it. this insures that I wil not get second class treatment.
What you thing why the Americans are disdain in most nations.Whats the reason behind that?I think this is due to American government that interrupting many other countries matters what you say?

Part of it is animosity at the US foreign policy and being a bully of a neighbor in the world. But I think part of it is also that there is a large percentage of American tourists that are by and large rude, entitled and insufferable. I've traveled a bit myself. That's my $.02

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2013/05/record-number.html

"In total, more than 670 U.S. passport holders gave up their citizenship -- and with it, their U.S. tax bills -- in the first three months of this year. That is the most in any quarter since the I.R.S. began publishing figures in 2008. And it is nearly three-quarters of the total number for all of 2012..."

"If the recent quarter's pace continues, 2013 will become a landmark year for saying goodbye to America, tax-wise."

I'm not terribly surprised. The ultra rich have to see the writing on the wall.

http://www.sovereignman.com/offshor...ner-reason-to-set-up-a-foreign-company-11814/

It will be more cost effective to set up a foreign company and sell things online to U.S. customers, than to just set up shop in the U.S. and sell to U.S. customers! How perverse is this?!?

Sadly, I actually know someone who was talking about doing this very thing earlier in the week. It is cheaper for him to set up an overseas company, ship the product into the U.S., keep the profits overseas and use it to buy gold, and store the gold overseas, for his personal wealth.

:flushed:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-taxpayers-abandoning-u-181500097.html

"This year will set a record for expatriations by U.S. taxpayers, with at least a 33% increase from the previous high in 2011."

"...560 people who either were U.S. citizens renouncing their citizenship or long-term residents who turned in their green cards during the third quarter."

"That brings the total so far this year to 2,369..."

Back
Top Bottom