*Sigh* Platinum takes a dump, again...

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Supporter
Reaction score

The platinum to gold ratio is about 1.23 now, it is rare enough that Au:pt is over 1 (Au more expensive). Part of the reason seems to be that the Volkswagen scandal has scared speculators in Pt. Pt can be used in diesel engines (where VW excels), but cheaper palladium can be used in gasoline engines. Both metals used in catalytic converters.

Story link:

http://www.kitco.com/news/2015-09-2...old-Spread-Near-Highest-Level-Since-1987.html

Diesel technology is not dead! I suspect that if/when China gets rolling again (?), that there will be a push to clean up their air, so lots of platinum will likely be needed. I need patience...

sunction

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
With all kinds of fluctuation in the current market, Is it really profitable to do a bullion investment?

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't like being a negative Nancy DCRB, but I was never on board with the thesis that economic recovery was going to take off and carry platinum with it. China has a bit more work to do clearing out the cancer before it can really recover.

suction - I hold bullion as insurance against currency malfeasance. I don't view it as an investment (ie. expecting some profit).