*Sigh* Platinum takes a dump, again...

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

The platinum to gold ratio is about 1.23 now, it is rare enough that Au : Pt is over 1 (Au more expensive). Part of the reason seems to be that the Volkswagen scandal has scared speculators in Pt. Pt can be used in diesel engines (where VW excels), but cheaper palladium can be used in gasoline engines. Both metals used in catalytic converters.

Story link:

http://www.kitco.com/news/2015-09-2...old-Spread-Near-Highest-Level-Since-1987.html

Diesel technology is not dead! I suspect that if/when China gets rolling again (?), that there will be a push to clean up their air, so lots of platinum will likely be needed. I need patience...

Last edited by a moderator:
With all kinds of fluctuation in the current market, Is it really profitable to do a bullion investment?

I don't like being a negative Nancy DCRB, but I was never on board with the thesis that economic recovery was going to take off and carry platinum with it. China has a bit more work to do clearing out the cancer before it can really recover.

suction - I hold bullion as insurance against currency malfeasance. I don't view it as an investment (ie. expecting some profit).

Platinum deserves some love these days.

DCRB's OP was posted back in 2015 and Platinum was worth more than gold at the time. Interesting to see the gold-platinum ratio since then:

The ratio seems to be roughly halfway between the 5 year high and 5 year low and well above where it stood in 2015:

If platinum were to revert to the ratio circa 2000-2007, it would be double the price of gold...

platinum ....has been pretty weak the past few years.....if demand ever picks up supply will be a issue since its a South Africa and Russia major producer states ....but we see the world trying to electrify vehicles so it may stay weak..i still buy PT when its under 1k as i dont see a lot of downside risk vs upside potiential

Hoping for Pt to get hammered down to the low 900s or high 800s. saving my powder to buy, buy buy!! Pt is my favorite PM.

Was that a 1-yr double top in platinum today?

I'm sure they'd love, and did, try to paint it that way. But look a little bit farther out. This looks like the fourth attempt to break through $1,100 and that should be the successful test.

1683930173882.png

I know one thing is you will never see $588 platinum again.

even when it was there you couldnt buy physical anywhere near that number......i think the lowest i saw on physical was in the 800s
The big ebay guys set their prices automatically. i was watching platinum plummet and jumped on ebay and scored some in the $700s. They ALL went "Sold out" within a few hours.

The big ebay guys set their prices automatically. i was watching platinum plummet and jumped on ebay and scored some in the $700s. They ALL went "Sold out" within a few hours.
Yes....if I had been alert that would have been a good place to pick some up.....glad someone took advantage of the situation

If TPTB successfully restrict ICEs and electrify transportation then industrial demand for platinum will drive. I don't see a case for increased demand for platinum.

If TPTB successfully restrict ICEs and electrify transportation then industrial demand for platinum will drive. I don't see a case for increased demand for platinum.

They won't be successful but regardless this is a VERY interesting graph. Note PALLADIUM, they lost control of its price in the paper markets. And as far as softs go I might have to take a look at Coaca.

1684095747250.png

From the link:

• Global demand for platinum will see a 28% uptick this year compared to last, while supply will decrease 1% year-on-year.
  • Platinum was priced at roughly $1,070 per troy ounce on Monday morning, having reached a multi-year high of around $1,130 in April.

The latest estimates see a record platinum deficit of nearly one million ounces for 2023 as demand accelerates and supply remains very tight, the World Platinum Investment Council said.

The latest update projects a deficit of 983,000 ounces for this year, up 77%, with demand rising 28% and supply dropping 1% from 2022, Edward Sterck, director of research at World Platinum Investment Council, told Kitco News.

"This is a record deficit in the time series that we have going back to 2013 — at almost a million ounces," Sterck said. "It's a record deficit going back as far as other records show into the early 1970s as well."

Total supply is expected to fall to 7.2 million ounces, and demand is anticipated to reach 8.2 million ounces. ...

If spot drops to $950 buy it if there is any reasonably priced physical inventory. Premiums tend to expand while supply dries up in the event.

The closer you can buy to $999 the better.

If spot drops to $950 buy it if there is any reasonably priced physical inventory. Premiums tend to expand while supply dries up in the event.

The closer you can buy to $999 the better.

i put some excess cash into it when i can buy physical 1oz units under 1k ,,,,will pay more for fractional if they are available at reasonable #s

I bought 1/10s @ $116 last year. Never seen them available lower. Also scored a USA Liberty for < $1050?
US Mint PMs are expensive.

BE has random year 1oz gold Eagles for $2066 right now. SD has 1oz. gold SA .9999 Elephants for $2044 and Perth fractional rabbits the lowest online although you may find something slightly cheaper from a smaller dealer of questionable integrity.

Platinum continues to get monkey hammered today even as gold is moving up. As the gold to platinum ratio approaches 2 (1.98 as I type), platinum becomes a more and more interesting play. YMMV

According to the World Platinum Investment Council, green hydrogen production could be the biggest source of platinum demand by 2040. Platinum and iridium are two major components of proton exchange membrane (PEM) technology, which are used in electrolyzers that separate hydrogen and oxygen molecules in water. PEM technology is also used in hydrogen fuel cells to convert the gas into electricity.

The growing hydrogen economy was a featured discussion during the International Economic Forum of the Americas in Montreal. A panel discussion hosted during the conference noted that Canada is one of the top hydrogen producers in the world and could set itself up as a leader in this burgeoning energy sector.
However, the panel noted several ways hydrogen can be produced, and PEM electrolyzers are playing only a small part in the broader green energy transition.

Plat to gold ratio over 2 as I type. Platinum prices seem very attractive to me at this level. How low can it go?

Plat to gold ratio over 2 as I type. Platinum prices seem very attractive to me at this level. How low can it go?
I'm thinking it's going to get back to sub $900 BUT, i pulled the trigger on a small amount a couple weeks ago because you never know. I may buy more in July.

It hit ~2.7:1 after the plandemic. Still I would really only be buying Pt over Gold right now. But my accounts are looking pretty anemic at the moment so no more buying for now.

It hit ~2.7:1 after the plandemic. Still I would really only be buying Pt over Gold right now. But my accounts are looking pretty anemic at the moment so no more buying for now.
It was also about 0.5 15 years ago

Back
Top Bottom