Stablecoins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

I've talked about stablecoins in many threads around here - mostly mentioning how they are different beasts from decentralized crypto platforms. I never really expounded on that though. The folks at Ledger published a fairly comprehensive look at one of the most popular (widely held/used) stablecoins here:

Different stablecoins will have different managers and different levels of transparency and risk on their reserves management, but the basic structure will be the same.

Last edited:
This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
The BIS is very concerned about stablecoins - it's banking competition after all. They seem to publish something or another about stablecoins once a week or so. Today's report is apropos for this thread:

Full paper (62 page .PDF):

Essentially, they conclude that stablecoins are like banks - when customers find out they don't have sufficient or quality reserves they are vulnerable to a run/collapse.

More:

Essentially, they conclude that stablecoins are like banks - when customers find out they don't have sufficient or quality reserves they are vulnerable to a run/collapse

Stablecoins don't have the role of banks, neither in the economy nor for individuals.
I think it's an excuse for the authorities to control and regulate those companies.
It's like saying that PayPal and Revolut are banks. They are not. They have some features of banks - as payment systems - but they are not banks.

So if the companies issuing those SC go broke, where is the problem.
Those who have bought those coins will lose money, well it happened to me too when that mining company had to be sold out to Hecla.
Buying financial products of a cheating company. Company goes broke. People lose their money. It's normal.

In particular I'm thinking of Tether: it already happened once that they had everybody convinced that for each USDT there was 1 $ in a bank account. It was not true.
Not they show that their coins are backed 76% by US federal debt, and then some financial products, and 0,3% by cash.

I don't understand why their users or investors should be protected like bank clients. You can survive without USDT but not without a bank account.

They aren't going to say it out loud, but aside from the money competition, a bankrupt stablecoin manager could lead to a black swan level treasury selloff. It almost happened with Circle when Silicon Valley Bank collapsed.

Too many words in this forum
let's embellish it with some colourful pictures

The big ones all look pretty even until you realize that the bottom three are actually one coin split across 3 different blockchains.

Pro-Crypto Senator Says Bipartisan Lawmakers Are Engaged In 'Delicate' Legislation Talks: 'I'm Optimistic That We Will See...Possibly In The First Half' Of 2024​

Fierce discussions are taking place regarding the enactment of U.S. stablecoin legislation, according to Sen. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.). The Senator remains hopeful about the possibility of the legislation being passed within the first half of 2024.

What Happened: On Thursday, Sen. Lummis in an interview with CoinDeskTV said that intense dialogues involving Democrats, Republicans, the U.S. Senate, and the House of Representatives are being held daily. Lummis, a staunch supporter of crypto policy, suggested that stablecoin legislation might stand the best chance of success this year, with significant technical assistance feedback coming from the Federal Reserve.

More:

I have read some of Sen. Lummis comments in press reports and X tweets. She seems to understand crypto pretty well. If she is optimistic about legislation then there is a fair chance the legislation isn't complete Sen. Warren styled garbage.

Circle (USDC stablecoin) and Coinbase urging Congress to direct the Treasury Dept. to go after Tether (USDT stablecoin). Ugly.

Circle (USDC stablecoin) and Coinbase urging Congress to direct the Treasury Dept. to go after Tether (USDT stablecoin). Ugly.
She asked oversight and regulation concerning AML, terrorism etc.
For me the biggest issue of USDT is the backing.

First they let users and investors believe that each USDT was backed by 1 $ in the bank
Not true.

Then they said each USDT is 100% backed by their reserves.
Not true.

How about forcing them to regular independent audits of their reserves?
What Tether provide are namely not audits but attestations (whatever the difference between the two is).

https://cointelegraph.com/news/teth...after-strong-profits-money-moved-out-of-banks

https://cointelegraph.com/news/cantor-fitzgerald-head-tether-reserves-they-have-money

So, no audits, only attestations.
Plus, Tether had promised to the authorities audits, in 2021.
We are in 2024, still no audits.

Crypto firm Circle to end support for USDC stablecoin on Tron blockchain​

LONDON, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Major U.S. crypto firm Circle will end support for its USDC token on the Tron blockchain network, a decision the company said on Wednesday "aligned with its efforts to ensure that USDC remained trusted, transparent and safe".

Boston-based Circle said in a blog that, effective immediately, it would no longer mint USDC tokens on Tron, a fast-growing platform widely used for transferring stablecoins whose founder is facing regulatory problems in the United States.

Stablecoins are digital tokens that are designed to keep a constant value and are backed by traditional currencies.

Circle did not give a reason for its decision but said that under its risk management framework it "continually assesses the suitability" of blockchains that support USDC, the second-biggest stablecoin after Tether.

It said institutional clients can transfer USDC held on Tron to other blockchains, or redeem the tokens with it for traditional currency, until February 2025. Retail customers can transfer USDC to other blockchains and redeem USDC at crypto exchanges and brokerages, it added.

More:

That's really interesting. Tron (TRX) is huge outside of the USA - currently #10 overall on coinmarketcap's list with a market cap of >$12B.

I wonder if they know something about Tron that the rest of us don't...

More:

Watching the Hoskinson video and it provides some insight on the USDC/Tron news above. Abandoning the Tron network could have implications for the asset (unchanged) to token (massive deflation) ratio on USDC.

Also, a commodity backed stablecoin (like the gold backed tokens) might offer some risk relief from the fiat backed stablecoins.

Oh snap! It makes sense now. Circle (USDC) dropping the Tron network is a reaction to political pressure:

Tron caught flak back in November for being a vehicle for Hamas/Hezbollah financing. I wonder if this is also the reason that CoinDesk left Tron out of their new CoinDesk 20 index.

More:

Tether is a foreign (ie. non-USA) based stablecoin that does not have any transparency (3rd party audits) of their reserves. Maybe people are starting to pay attention to the risk profile that entails....

The BIS published an executive summary of the FSB's recommendations from last year:
More:

I wonder why they decided to publish their summary today - over half a year since the FSB published the recommendation.

Binance to end support for USDC stablecoin on Tron blockchain network​

March 25 (Reuters) - Cryptocurrency exchange Binance said on Monday customers would no longer be able to deposit and withdraw the dollar-pegged stablecoin USDC using the Tron blockchain network.

Stablecoins are digital tokens that are designed to keep a constant value and are backed by traditional currencies. A stablecoin can be based on various different blockchains.

Last month, Boston-based crypto firm Circle said it would no longer create its USDC tokens on the Tron blockchain, a decision it said "aligned with its efforts to ensure that USDC remained trusted, transparent and safe".

More:

^^ That's a natural consequence of USDC dropping support for the TRON network as mentioned up above (posts #14 & 18).

A Yen backed stablecoin?

BIS fretting about stablecoins again:

26 page .PDF report:
They don't want to lose control.

Sen. Warren on the warpath again (I'm not reposting the whole thing here):

Sen. Warren doesn't want any competition for a CBDC. She is against free market finance and financial privacy.

Paolo Ardoino,
CEO of Tether, the issuer of USDT, the major stablecoin

The two main reasons for stablecoins:
- protecting vs inflation
- serving unbanked and underbanked people

From the link:

Fear and lack of knowledge of cryptocurrency at the highest levels of the US government pose a major threat to national security.

The emergence of the technological solution provided by the Bitcoin protocol in 2008 (and the myriad of blockchain-based protocols that arose thereafter) and related payment channel networks (PCNs) (global peer-to-peer wealth transfer networks) has opened a Pandora’s Box that forever changes global peer-to-peer wealth storage and transfer. Add to that the rapid advancement of artificial intelligence capable of nearly any solution creation in PCNs and the global monetary system is about to change dramatically.

Stripe is a huge payments processor (it's the one pmbug.com is using to process credit card payments for account upgrades). Incorporating a stablecoin like USDC into the available options makes sense and will likely lead to an overall boom in crypto adoption as trading crypto for USDC is easy and low friction.

Just a reminder that stablecoins are not decentralized crypto. The State wants it's financial surveillance.

and will likely lead to an overall boom in crypto adoption
A boom in Stablecoins adoption, for sure,
but as far as adoption of non-Stablecoins goes...

E.g. will it lead to a boom in BTC adoption?
I don't know

A boom in Stablecoins adoption, for sure,
but as far as adoption of non-Stablecoins goes...

The two big hurdles for the growth of crypto right now are the ability to conduct trade anywhere for anything and the availability of off-ramps (for converting crypto back to fiat). The Stripe-stablecoin payment gateway is a solution for both of those problems.

Hi PMB
Imo the big hurdle for the growth of adoption of crypto as everyday currency has been cryptos' volatility...

I have a grocery shop.
I sell 2 bananas with a profit of 25c.
If I accept BTC I'm forced to convert it immediately into fiat because otherwise within 10 minutes given BTC volatility I risk to lose those 25c.
Even with the availability of off-ramps, why should I accept BTC?

If out of a transaction I have a profit of 3%, accepting BTC I can lose all of that within 1 day.
Why take the risk?

Last edited:
As more entities (people and businesses) join the ecosystem, volatility will moderate. Developing more use cases (like the Stripe-stablecoin venture) will encourage more adoption. Crypto is still very early in it's development IMO.

I saw this news reported over the weekend:

It seems like a dumb distinction to me. "Bot trades" seems like a euphamism for smart contracts. They are trade executions that were initiated, invested and supported by real people, so I'm not sure why exactly it's worth highlighting. If anything, it just seems like a measure of growth/maturity of crypto financial markets.

1. If banks are loaning the stablecoin account's deposits, the bank is introducing risk. This is precisely what happened with Circle (USDC) when Silicon Valley Bank imploded.

2. What is needed is a full reserve (ie. "narrow") bank like Custodia Bank.

I look forward to Mr. Wheeler's follow up article where he acknowledges these issues.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…