That's it...I'm done with Gold and Silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Barrettone

Fly on the Wall
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Reached my goal for AU and AG. No real deals out there, and I just can't justify the premiums anymore. I'm gonna have a LOT of cash, but that makes me nervous too. I'm debating getting into platinum or palladium. I had some back in the day (circa 2008- 2015) when I last stacked but had to liquidate. What do you fine folks think? Percentage-wise, what are the premiums? I'd only buy 1 oz stuff. No fractionals as the premiums would take the fun out of it I think???

Reached my goal for AU and AG. No real deals out there, and I just can't justify the premiums anymore. I'm gonna have a LOT of cash, but that makes me nervous too. I'm debating getting into platinum or palladium. I had some back in the day (circa 2008- 2015) when I last stacked but had to liquidate. What do you fine folks think? Percentage-wise, what are the premiums? I'd only buy 1 oz stuff. No fractionals as the premiums would take the fun out of it I think???
Share the wealth (holds out hands)

i reached "stasis" years ago .......just buy things with lasting worth that are easy to sell if needed.... PT and PL does not fit the "easy to sell" criteria but outa boredom i bought some and its done well especially the PL so far .......... the best investment has been collectable colt firearms over the years fwiw ......romex electrical wire (copper) has done well also LOL

I don't have gazillions of fiat that I dunno what to do with, <envy> but may I suggest another form of easily-acquired-at-sane-premium coinage: Copper pennies. Your LCD can get you all you want. Fungible worldwide. Makes change for ALL sales.

Easily stored (the weight can be useful, if ya deeply thinks onnit). Never stolen. <-- At least I have never heard of a case.

I'm in the same position. Still too much cash but don't want to put everything into PMs. I'm about 70 percent pms to cash. I also only buy 1oz.
I broke down and bought a few fractional gold and some junk silver but the premiums just seem insane. I have slowly been pulling cash but that can be a problem too. If we go digital and they outlaw cash then we have to convert to digital dollars. The IRS will be all over people with hoards of cash. The noose is tightening. I say money spent to become more self sufficient might be the way to go.

Last edited:
I reached my goal for AU and AG 10 years ago ( went all in ) and yes I was tested by watching the whole lot drop 25% in a couple of weeks then had to wait a couple of years to get back to the £ number I started with but the banking system looked like it was about to fold back in 2012 and it has never properly recovered.
My plan was to wait for my stash to double in £ number and buy the right property to create resiliance.
This turned out not to be so important as I am happily involved with three projects that all have degrees of resiliance, so the metals simply sit doing nothing, waiting for the storm that changes everything to run its course.
Me and the metals might even survive it all and I can purchase a vast country estate ....
or perhaps the concept of ownership may be different on the other side :)

Congrats on reaching your goal!
As far as Platinum or Palladium I really have no experience with either & only go by what others say. High premiums on those also & difficulty liquidating.
As many of us on PM forums have said for years that fiat will one day be worthless, I don't believe that will ever be the case for Au & Ag. JMHO.
If one wants to get rid of cash, firearms & ammo, land, food, tools, good tangible items.

Are you done with money? Then, I'd say, your attitude makes sense.

What are the alternatives to PMs? Digital scrip? Don't make me laugh. That's exactly the trap TPTB want to herd the unwary into.

Right now we are witnessing universal wealth destruction. In the destruction of resources; in the destruction of national currencies; in the destruction of trust in governments.

And part of this is, the manipulating downward of the APPARENT value of PMs.

It's like this: No one is getting out of this Nihilism War unscathed. It's a matter of being less hurt, or more hurt.

Those with stawk will be busted. Those with government bonds will be busted - or worse, hunted down because they are creditors on government, a danger to a government in revolution.

Those with dollars, have firestarting material. Those with bitcoin, will have flashdrives they may or may not be able to read. Depending on whether the power goes down along with the (deliberate) takedown of communications.

Those with PMs...will be hunted, also. To TAKE those PMs. Because when all else fails, we go to the money of 3000 years ago. And TPTB will send armed flunkies to seize what you have, if it's known that you have it.

Beans, bullets and bandaids. Plenty to stock up on. All will be more valuable to stock as this clusterpuck advances.

Beans, bullets and bandaids. Plenty to stock up on. All will be more valuable to stock as this clusterpuck advances.
Gold and silver are useless in a hot war.

They're for AFTER. Gold was still valuable in the postwar South, long after CSA paper money was rendered valueless. Long after Yankee greenbacks were discounted as wartime scrip, and after the carpetbaggers disallowed confederate planters from using them in commerce.

You get the bullets if you're expecting a war. Precious metals are for afterward.

Thank you for all the responses. A little more info if I may to narrow down your advice. I own both my home and retreat free and clear (both are on 5 acres and have tillable land). I can literally outfit an army and have enough ammo to crack my basement floor. Pre-82 Pennies? Got a 55 gallon drum. Food...two years worth (can't store and rotate any more than that...I'm prepped for six and just me and the wife are home to eat through the preps rotation). Medical supplies...check. 8 vehicles, 2 tractors with every implement known to man and 6 ATVs. An RV, multiple utility and dump trailers...no bank notes on anything. Building materials...a full semi trailer. I am LITERALLY out of shit to buy. Not bragging...just stating facts. So I don't want too much cash. I need condensed (guaranteed) wealth. Gold and silver are off the rails for premiums. Thought PT and PL might be a bit lower. Just curious to see what you guys and gals are seeing at the local coin shops and shows for premiums percentage-wise. I don't want any more land as interest rates have climbed a lot (buyers gotta be able to afford to buy from me), plus I don't wanna have to pay more taxes. Bad enough im gonna have to use their system to pay the taxes on what I already have (no way around it).

Last edited:
... 5 acres and have tillable land) ...
If I were in your situation, I would be wasting money and time playing around with this aquaponic/hydroponic gardening system for fun and profit:

Welding machine? Machine tools? Steel stock?
I weighed a length of .035 welding wire, and calculated a 10-pound roll would be about 7000 feet. That's a long tripwire, if one is so inclined.

Explosives, small & large? Firecrackers can be handy.
Flares?
High powered lasers? If you need to ask why, then they are not for you.
Supply of all popular sizes of batteries?
Solar panels for battery charging?
Portable water purifiers?

... High powered lasers? ...
That reminded me of this old thread:

Better to have Au and Ag and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Nigeria they roll wheel barrels of fiat for a loaf of bread.
In Venezuela fiat lays in the streets.
Nations with the exception of the US/UK/CA/ and other lackey suck ups are BUYING GOLD.
India is BUYING Silver.....
That should tell you something, but DYODD.
Good Luck to Ya.

Welding machine? Machine tools? Steel stock?
I weighed a length of .035 welding wire, and calculated a 10-pound roll would be about 7000 feet. That's a long tripwire, if one is so inclined.
Full shop with welders, torches, lift, 55 drums of oil, trans, hydro and antifreeze. Every filter you can imagine. Metal rack with lineal, angle, tube, plate, etc. Plenty of wire and argon, oxygen, acetylene.

Last edited:
Explosives, small & large? Firecrackers can be handy.
Flares?
High powered lasers? If you need to ask why, then they are not for you.
Supply of all popular sizes of batteries?
Solar panels for battery charging?
Portable water purifiers?
Covered. Not going into details. Have flares, magnesium, and yes lasers as well as thermal imaging and gen 4 NV. Also have solar and wind power. Can heat with fuel oil, propane and wood. Berney's biggest system with 100 filters. Batteries for years. Trust me folks...prepping wise, I've got it all. So what to do with f'ing fiat?

Nations with the exception of the US/UK/CA/ and other lackey suck ups are BUYING GOLD.
Good Luck to Ya.
I hear ya...just looking to get the best out of it. Premiums have me disgusted. I can't store any more fuel...can't maintain/rotate what I have. I just don't want to be left holding the bag on more than 10-15% of my hard earned "money".

Good Luck to Ya.
I hear ya...just looking to get the best out of it. Premiums have me disgusted. I can't store any more fuel...can't maintain/rotate what I have. I just don't want to be left holding the bad on more than 10-15% of my hard earned "money"
Are you done with money? Then, I'd say, your attitude makes sense.

What are the alternatives to PMs? Digital scrip? Don't make me laugh. That's exactly the trap TPTB want to herd the unwary into.

Right now we are witnessing universal wealth destruction. In the destruction of resources; in the destruction of national currencies; in the destruction of trust in governments.

And part of this is, the manipulating downward of the APPARENT value of PMs.

It's like this: No one is getting out of this Nihilism War unscathed. It's a matter of being less hurt, or more hurt.

Those with stawk will be busted. Those with government bonds will be busted - or worse, hunted down because they are creditors on government, a danger to a government in revolution.

Those with dollars, have firestarting material. Those with bitcoin, will have flashdrives they may or may not be able to read. Depending on whether the power goes down along with the (deliberate) takedown of communications.

Those with PMs...will be hunted, also. To TAKE those PMs. Because when all else fails, we go to the money of 3000 years ago. And TPTB will send armed flunkies to seize what you have, if it's known that you have it.
just stuck at this point I guess.

right now a full truckload of sheet rock will be a good investment when they start rebuilding Florida

Thank you for all the responses. A little more info if I may to narrow down your advice. I own both my home and retreat free and clear (both are on 5 acres and have tillable land). I can literally outfit an army and have enough ammo to crack my basement floor. Pre-82 Pennies? Got a 55 gallon drum. Food...two years worth (can't store and rotate any more than that...I'm prepped for six and just me and the wife are home to eat through the preps rotation). Medical supplies...check. 8 vehicles, 2 tractors with every implement known to man and 6 ATVs. An RV, multiple utility and dump trailers...no bank notes on anything. Building materials...a full semi trailer. I am LITERALLY out of shit to buy. Not bragging...just stating facts. So I don't want too much cash. I need condensed (guaranteed) wealth. Gold and silver are off the rails for premiums. Thought PT and PL might be a bit lower. Just curious to see what you guys and gals are seeing at the local coin shops and shows for premiums percentage-wise. I don't want any more land as interest rates have climbed a lot (buyers gotta be able to afford to buy from me), plus I don't wanna have to pay more taxes. Bad enough im gonna have to use their system to pay the taxes on what I already have (no way around it).
In a SHTF scenario, other items less tangible, but just as valuable would include a stash of hard liquor, tobacco and instant coffee. People will always have addictions and cravings.
Also I hope you have a solid water source and filtration. A Big Berkie is valuable if you need to bug out.
One commodity you haven’t mentioned is a support network of likeminded people.
You’ve spent a lot of time preparing a stash for others to steal. You can’t go forever without sleeping or keeping watch. It would be nice if you had close allies.
And finally as corny as this sound, have entertainment. A wind up record player and a milk crate of vinyl, board games, cheap instruments from a pawn shop, fiction and non-fiction books, including your choice of holy books, like the Bible.

Sounds to me like you got things covered pretty well. Time to start enjoying yourself as well. Classic muscle cars have done well throughout the years and are fecking fun at the same time! Invest in yourself. Take flying lessons, buy a plane LOL. Go have some fun before the shit house goes up in flames. We're only on this rock for a short time.

Is there some device or system that you could use, but is not available or too expensive? I have experience with microcontrollers and electronics and am looking for new projects. Measuring? Device control? Motion sensing? Cheap wireless data?

I feel that there would be a big market for a new product that would help people grow food, but I can't put my finger on what that would be. There is already a lot available for watering/irrigation, etc. but I feel something is still missing.

Sounds to me like you got things covered pretty well. Time to start enjoying yourself as well. Classic muscle cars have done well throughout the years and are fecking fun at the same time! Invest in yourself. Take flying lessons, buy a plane LOL. Go have some fun before the shit house goes up in flames. We're only on this rock for a short time.
Had the same thought Brother smooth. learn to fly, buy a plane. I recommend an overwing so making bomb runs are easier & safer.

In a SHTF scenario, other items less tangible, but just as valuable would include a stash of hard liquor, tobacco and instant coffee. People will always have addictions and cravings.
Also I hope you have a solid water source and filtration. A Big Berkie is valuable if you need to bug out.
One commodity you haven’t mentioned is a support network of likeminded people.
You’ve spent a lot of time preparing a stash for others to steal. You can’t go forever without sleeping or keeping watch. It would be nice if you had close allies.
And finally as corny as this sound, have entertainment. A wind up record player and a milk crate of vinyl, board games, cheap instruments from a pawn shop, fiction and non-fiction books, including your choice of holy books, like the Bible.
I agree, and I have 7 households around me in our group.

You know, it's funny you say that. I've been looking seriously at getting a fully restored 1969 crew cab 4x4. That'd tie up about 60k. Might be just the thing I need!

Been thinking about pilots license and a twin turbo prop (8 seater). It's gotta be able to move the whole fam damily. That's about 350-450k. But I am not in that good of a position. I'm thinking the classic truck is the best idea if PT and PL seem to be a no-go.

You know, it's funny you say that. I've been looking seriously at getting a fully restored 1969 crew cab 4x4. That'd tie up about 60k. Might be just the thing I need!
Wouldn't you do better to buy a newer (but pre-2005) truck and an SUV separately? Move the family in both, in convoy. Have a mechanical incident in one, you can get help or bug out in the other.

The cost would be about the same, but the important factor would be, support infrastructure. There's a lot to go wrong on a 54-year-old vehicle that's not going to be available now, even in the best of times. In a SHTF moment, not at all.

I have owned a Cessna 150 and got my PPSEL in it. Later, I sold it for a pittance. Then I had a 175 for a couple years. One evening, the engine let the smoke out and I sold it cheap.

Since then, I thought if I had "airplane money", the Cessna 177 Cardinal would be my top choice. Beautiful, roomy, not too slow.

I am still not in the market, but lately I have been looking at the Sonex kit planes. They are all two or one seaters, so not much utility, but they look like so much fun to fly on very little gas. There are some really neat videos on them.

Wouldn't you do better to buy a newer (but pre-2005) truck and an SUV separately? Move the family in both, in convoy. Have a mechanical incident in one, you can get help or bug out in the other.

The cost would be about the same, but the important factor would be, support infrastructure. There's a lot to go wrong on a 54-year-old vehicle that's not going to be available now, even in the best of times. In a SHTF moment, not at all.
I already have 8 vehicles. 4 of which are pristine pre-2000 and 2 of which are carbureted with NO electronics. I've already got bug out more than covered. And yes, 5 fully stocked BoB's good for 72 hrs

Been thinking about pilots license and a twin turbo prop (8 seater). It's gotta be able to move the whole fam damily. That's about 350-450k. But I am not in that good of a position. I'm thinking the classic truck is the best idea if PT and PL seem to be a no-go.
As an ole IFR pilot, I strongly recommend you get your pilots license. There's so many good reasons why you should do this, it is hard to know where to start on the list.

I will start with something you might think frivolous: It is FUN. I mean, deep-down to the soul fun. Your first solo will be remembered with the clarity of the first time you got laid. You'll never be as happy to lose a shirt-tail. Moreover, there is a very real subculture out there. You will meet folks with the ice already always broken. And the percentage of stackers/preppers is disproportionate to the general population. <-- TINS

Another reason: Even if you do not own your own plane... think about it: You are out in the middle of nowhere, and there are cars all over the place, left there for use by absent drivers. And you really have to get somewhere fast. But you do not even know how to turn a car on, much less drive one (at night, yet).

So lets look at that useless conglomeration of cars you cannot use, and turn them into small planes...

You could rent one, or fill in for someone who owns one but is incapacitated and cannot pilot it. Or buy one. Or steal one.

A circumstance where even a dinky little Spam Can can be better than any vehicle: Roadblocks. A Piper Warrior carries four. You do NOT need an 8-seater twin-engine plane: You can safely fly your family up, over, and past any block at all by just making more than a single trip. Mileage cost/difficulty in fuel, maintenance, etc., for a twin turbo-prop 8-passenger is an order of magnitude greater than the "chocolate bar wing" single-engine. <-- Which can take off and land in a third the distance.

To encourage you: *IF* you blow about three or four Krugerrands worth of fiat to earn your IFR -- you will discover a crazy fact: If you can fly a single-engine, fixed landing gear, static-prop dinky little plane, you will be shocked -- if you ever get the chance -- to discover you can fly essentially ANY plane.

Compare it to getting your driver's license: Sure, you could drive any make of car... but... oops! You could also now figure out how to get that 18-wheeler going, couldn't you. Or a bus. Or a tractor. <-- Those are only different kinds of "planes", d'ysee.

Dunno what else I could tout to get you to go do it. It sure as hell fits a prep requirement.

WAIT!! LATE EDIT ADD: Here I yam, 82 (jeez!) and I find there were times when each of these three things reached at least temporary parity: Sex, Scuba, Flying. <-- Now... you doan wanna lose out on a Trifecta like that, wouldja? 'Cause you most ricky-tick will if you don't indulge in all three. Like we useta say:

There It is.

Last edited:
Tell me this doesn't make your tongue hard -- Costs $20,000 less than a stinkin' Ford pickup truck:
1667337429050.pngUSD $61,851

That beauty above gets about 18MPG. Yup.

Oh. And if you check, a Piper Twin Turboprop (1979 vintage) cost:

1979​

Piper PA-31T1 Cheyenne I

Sale
$942,120

Last edited:
Tell me this doesn't make your tongue hard -- Costs $20,000 less than a stinkin' Ford pickup truck:
View attachment 2069USD $61,851

That beauty above gets about 18MPG. Yup.

Oh. And if you check, a Piper Twin Turboprop (1979 vintage) cost:

1979​

Piper PA-31T1 Cheyenne I

Sale
$942,120
Man you sure know how to paint a picture. My family is 6 people though, and two are 300 lbs (ex football linemen)...an 8 seater would prolly have just enough payload. Maybe could talk a couple of my sons into getting their licenses too and just buy 3 single engines...lol

Back
Top Bottom