US debt ceiling, gov shutdown and Speaker of the House fight

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

"Gaetz has lost clout..."

Clout has suddenly accreted. The new kid hit a home run for America. Not all Dems vote en bloc ALL the time. Some things are important enough to actually cause a political type to realize where disaster lies. Sometimes.

What this does show is that the first elephantine stirrings of alarm for the actual survival of the country have penetrated the first layer of consciousness in 216 of the members of Congress.

Trump as Speaker of the House... I dunno what to make of that. The political stripe of America has changed so much in my long lifetime that I really cannot make sense of it.

Deceitful, traitorous, hateful politics to the ridiculous point of impeaching a president twice on (later proven) totally false and democrat-agenda driven suborning of FBI/CIA/DOJ conspirators...

Then filing suit against Trump for exactly what Hillary screamed doing from the rooftops (stolen election) with a biased DA.

All driven with 100% support by the Mockingbird Media: Remember the fifty voices on all the TV stations speaking in unison, "the walls are closing in..." "He is literally Hitler!"

"He seduced and raped me! And it wasn't the first time, either!"

... Gaetz ... doesn't have the support to elect any replacement for McCarthy. Ousting him without a replacement plan would be idiotic, so there is a 50% chance it happens.

Lulz.

... He got the position if certain criteria were met and maintained. He failed to do that ...

Which concesskons/criteria did he violate? I watched the debate before the vote yesterday and Gaetz moved the goalposts when addressing this.

McCarthy's defenders argue that he's working to reform the budget process and needs more time to see it through.

Massie points out that McCarthy has allowed two Freedom Caucus members—Reps. Chip Roy (R–Texas) and Ralph Norman (R–S.C.)—onto the Rules Committee. Together with Massie, that's a voting block that can effectively control what bills reach the House floor, something that Massie says would have been unthinkable under previous Republican speakers.

"They have been listening to us and we have been guiding the process," he says.

Trump as Speaker of the House... I dunno what to make of that. ...

AFAIK, it cannot happen unless Congress changes their rules (which cannot happen until a new Speaker is elected):

F7j2m5eX0AAGncC

^^^^ I doubt if Trump would want to be speaker. He prefers the big chair at the head of the high table.

^^^^ well that'd be cool. Jordan as Speaker would do just fine.

Scalesse would be better than Jordan who is all talk, but no action.

Scalesse would be better than Jordan who is all talk, but no action.
He'd be fine too.
....and to take action, one must be in a position to be able to do so. What actions has he failed to take that was in a position to be able to take?

Watched an interview with Mike Lawler earlier. He was talking about the attack on Israel. Said McCarthy needed to be reinstated and that they were returning (to DC) tomorrow and would "discuss it." Be interesting to see what comes out of the discussion.

Fox News said:
There is increasing concern in national security circles about the status of the House of Representatives, bereft of a Speaker, during an international crisis.
"The Middle East might speed up the election of a Speaker," said one House Republican who asked to remain nameless. "This points to why it was a bad idea to kick out (former House Speaker) Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)."
However, the House is paralyzed right now without a Speaker. McCarthy, reiterated this problem, during an appearance on Fox Saturday afternoon.

"There is nothing the House can do until they elect a Speaker. And I don’t know if that happens quickly," said McCarthy.
House Republicans are scheduled to meet for a closed door House GOP Conference meeting late Monday.

On Tuesday, House GOPers will conduct their "candidate forum" where those running for the Speakership make their pitches to rank-and-file Members. Then, the Republican Conference will convene again behind closed doors on Wednesday for a "secret ballot" to tap their nominee for Speaker. This is NOT the Speaker election. The FULL HOUSE must elect the Speaker. And the number needed to prevail on the floor is much higher than the number needed to win in the conference.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...e-the-election-of-a-house-speaker/ar-AA1hT77b

CNN said:
As the Biden administration looks to provide additional assistance to Israel, officials were unsure Saturday about what could be accomplished without a sitting speaker. While McHenry is serving as speaker pro tempore, he has little power outside of recessing, adjourning or recognizing speaker nominations, and it’s unclear whether he can participate in intelligence briefings on the crisis in Israel.
House Foreign Affairs Chairman Mike McCaul told Bash on Sunday that the president can use $3.3 billion in foreign military financing that is already appropriated.

The Texas Republican also called McCarthy’s ouster “dangerous.”

“I look at the world and all of the threats that are out there and what kind of message are we sending to adversaries when we can’t govern, when we are dysfunctional, when we don’t even have a speaker of the House?” McCaul said on “State of the Union.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...uilds-as-crisis-unfolds-in-israel/ar-AA1hSF5x

Ray Dalio - founder of Bridgewater Associates said:
‘While I sympathize with those who worry about the increasing growth in debt, I am even more concerned about who has what powers and the choices that are being made to fight rather than to cooperate across party lines and view this development as another step away from democracy and toward civil war.’

Watched an interview with Mike Lawler earlier. He was talking about the attack on Israel. Said McCarthy needed to be reinstated and that they were returning (to DC) tomorrow and would "discuss it." Be interesting to see what comes out of the discussion.

Ok so things are starting to make a little more sense. As to the who and why they decided to attack. The bad guys (both sides of this fight) needed to strike back after that major loss of power.

1.) Try and create a situation to regain their power seat
2.) Try and support the Bond market that has been plunging and causing unrealized loses at probably every bank on earth.

Ok so things are starting to make a little more sense. As to the who and why they decided to attack. The bad guys (both sides of this fight) needed to strike back after that major loss of power.

1.) Try and create a situation to regain their power seat
2.) Try and support the Bond market that has been plunging and causing unrealized loses at probably every bank on earth.

The Hamas attack was years in the planning. It occurred on the 50th anniversary of of the Yom Kippur war. It wasn't planned to help McCarthy be Speaker of the House. That's silly.

Kevin McCarthy says he's open to being speaker again. But his path is even more obstructed than before.
Though McCarthy’s conservative critics are envisioning a future without him, now that their longtime ally Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) is running for speaker in a two-man race against Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.). Even some long-time McCarthy supporters have already endorsed a possible successor.

Still, there's a contingency of the House GOP that is unhappy with either choice. And some of them are using the attack in Israel to argue that McCarthy should be back at the helm. Others are wondering if the head-to-head speaker matchup slated this week — should it fail to find a consensus candidate who can reach 218 votes on the floor — will create an opening for others they find more palatable. One possibility being floated is putting interim Speaker Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) in the job permanently.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...s-for-key-meeting-in-speaker-race/ar-AA1hVYeV

And so of course the RINO's are apparently holding on (although I'm not sure how far gone Scalise is) as Jordan is not going to get the nomination. Although, I first read this as Scalise won the speaker. 113-99 for the vote on nomination.

^^^^^^
This is a good thing. Jordan is insane.

This is a good thing. Jordan is insane.

Just an fyi about Jordan:

I dare you to bring that up to his face. Never ever went anywhere. Unlike all most of the other collegiate scandals.

Why is it that any out spoken conservative always ends up being attacked with Decades old sexual allegations? Where were these allegations prior now?

I'll just assume it's just more far-left libs/dem normal operating procedure.

... Where were these allegations prior now? ...

Try a web search. You can easily find stories on this from 2018, 2019 and 2020. It blew up again recently because some of the wrestlers involved objected to Jordan as being fit for the Speaker position.

Try a web search. You can easily find stories on this from 2018, 2019 and 2020. It blew up again recently because some of the wrestlers involved objected to Jordan as being fit for the Speaker position.

With no proof ever... Just like all the other accusers of all the other guys who take on the swamp.

Where were these allegations prior now?

I may be a bit older than you........don't know. But I've been a news junkie for years and I have a good memory. A lot of my stuff comes from the news years ago, especially when it comes to Trump. Started reading about him in the 1980's. Not going to bring up his crap in this thread, but I know a lot of stuff about him and the stuff he did (to other people) way before he was involved in politics. Brought up Jordan's past because he's Trump's bootlick.

Is there any proof he did wrong, or is this just more he said she said stuff that always comes out any time someone without a D by their name might get into a position of power?

Back
Top Bottom