US debt ceiling, gov shutdown and Speaker of the House fight

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I may be a bit older than you........don't know. But I've been a news junkie for years and I have a good memory. A lot of my stuff comes from the news years ago, especially when it comes to Trump. Started reading about him in the 1980's. Not going to bring up his crap in this thread, but I know a lot of stuff about him and the stuff he did (to other people) way before he was involved in politics. Brought up Jordan's past because he's Trump's bootlick.
Based on the "news", you also "knew" he was Putin's puppet during the four years of his Presidency, too.

@Joe King - I don't know. I'm not invested in the issue and have never investigated.

Souther border, Ukraine, Israel, budget mess and no speaker. Not gonna get one today. Too much infighting going on.

^^^^^^

Heard some of the same. Possible that Jordan nor Scalise may be picked.

GOP is going to have a civil war - might eventually end up splitting into 2 different parties (<-- IMO)

GOP is going to have a civil war - might eventually end up splitting into 2 different parties (<-- IMO)

It's not the GOP guys. We've been saying this for YEARS. Trump was really a 3rd party candidate, populist if you must. No one cares if the GOP or the Democrat party implodes. They've both been the enemy of the people for a century or more.

For all I care they can just shut down the House and we will be better off.

fwiw..........

'We might never elect a speaker': Republican House in complete disarray after meeting​

Republicans emerged from the House conference meeting on Thursday afternoon in complete disarray.

While the GOP has been fighting for the better part of the year, after removing Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) as speaker, the caucus is so split on who the next one should be that no one can reach the 217 votes necessary to reach the position. Democrats have 212 votes for Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (R-NY), who continues to have the most votes of any member in the House.

Before the meeting was even over, Rep. George Santos (R-NY), who is facing a 23-count indictment, abandoned the ship calling it a "waste of time."

More:

I fully expect that the majority non-MAGA GOP is going to make a deal with the Dems on a compromise moderate R to be speaker and the MAGA 8 are going to be marginalized.

I fully expect that the majority non-MAGA GOP is going to make a deal with the Dems on a compromise moderate R to be speaker and the MAGA 8 are going to be marginalized.

Let them out themselves and show their true colors. That works too.

Government is only funded through Nov 17. The House needs to elect a Speaker and then both House and Senate need to pass appropriations whether separate bills (as MAGAs demand, but there isn't sufficient time) or a devil's sausage of a continuing resolution or we get another (partial) government shutdown. I think there are some other issues related to (military) appointments, but I don't recall the details.

devil's sausage
If there is one thing that those in DC are good at, it's making that.

Imho, the biggest mistake the Founders made, was not including a Clause that required all Bills to be single issue only.

It's total bull shit the way they pass those giant bloated Bills that are 1000's of pages long that none of them read, and includes tons of crap that would have never stood a chance on their own.

Hopefully it'll take the next 13 Months to elect a Speaker and the public will be so disgusted with them, that every incumbent up for re-election loses.

Hopefully it'll take the next 13 Months to elect a Speaker and the public will be so disgusted with them, that every incumbent up for re-election loses.
It's always "other people's Reps" that are the problem. Well, that and extreme gerrymandering that entrenches incumbents in safe districts. Folks that are involved in party politics - where most viable (connected to funding and campaigning resources) candidates come from are invested in the system.

It's always "other people's Reps" that are the problem.
Other than a skant few, they all suck and need to go.

Imho, if they ain't voting like RP, they can go. No big loss.

Well, that and extreme gerrymandering t
That's another thing that shouldn't be allowed. Districts should be required to be square or rectangular in shape, and drawn blindly to anything other than the number of citizens living in the area.

Folks that are involved in party politics - where most viable (connected to funding and campaigning resources) candidates come from are invested in the system.
F' 'em. I so hope they live long enough to get their Just rewards for their "efforts". All they've done, is to set the nation up for failure.

House Republicans are barreling toward a floor vote on their Speaker nominee — Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — this week even as the Judiciary Committee chairman remains far from the 217 votes needed to win the gavel on the House floor.

Jordan clinched the nomination for Speaker in a 124-81 vote on Friday, beating his last-minute challenger, Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.). But when the conference was asked if they would support Jordan’s nomination on the floor, the vote was 152-55 — leaving Jordan well short of the 217 votes needed to win the Speakership on the House floor.

The planned vote on Tuesday is setting the stage for another public clash over the gavel, similar to the four-day, 15-ballot election that former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) went through in January.

Some Jordan backers are hoping that bringing his nomination to the floor — and forcing Republicans on the record — will increase the Ohio Republican’s support and put him within reach of the gavel. Jordan will be up against House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), who Democrats unanimously nominated to be Speaker.

I really don't think that is going to play out like they are hoping...

A number of House Republicans are in talks to block Rep. Jim Jordan’s path to the speakership as the Ohio Republican tries to force a floor vote on Tuesday, according to multiple GOP sources.

One senior Republican House member who is part of the opposition to Jordan told CNN that there he believes there are roughly 40 “no” votes, and that he has personally spoken to 20 members who are willing to go to the floor and block Jordan’s path if the Ohio Republican forces a roll-call vote on Tuesday.
Some of Jordan’s allies have pushed for votes on the floor in order to try to call out the holdouts who aren’t behind the Ohio Republican. But Rep. Dan Crenshaw of Texas railed against his House GOP colleagues who plan on rallying support for Jordan’s speakership through a public pressure campaign, calling it “the dumbest thing you can do.”

“That is the dumbest way to support Jordan,” Crenshaw told Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday. “As someone who wants Jim Jordan, the dumbest thing you can do is to continue pissing off those people and entrench them.”

Speaker vote is scheduled for a floor today starting at Noon ET (in about an hour). From what I've been reading, Jordan does *not* have the votes, but is furiously trying to buy the no votes off with promises of this or that (same thing McCarthy had to do to get elected). Some of the folks opposing him want him to publicly renounce his election denial and such. It doesn't sound to me like he will get the votes he needs which means the voting is going to be a total shit/clown show. C-Span should get some good ratings today.

I should mention that C-Span should have a live stream available for folks who don't have domestic cable TV. I think this link should have the live feed when it becomes available:

First floor vote happening now. Already 9 no votes, so Jordan doesn't have the votes. Arm twisting and carrot baiting to ensue before round 2...

Arm twisting in progress. We'll see if any votes change in round 2.

Lulz.. They recessed. No round 2 today.

jordan's camp says another round today. mccarthy says he's with jordan.

Today? lol. Comments I'm reading on twitter are indicating he will likely lose votes on round 2. Some Scalise supporters held their nose for him in round one and won't do it again for round 2. Also, the hard No voters for Jordan are not going to be bought. They have a seething hatred/grievance for/with him apparently.

I have a seething hatred of him too lol

Last edited:
Janet came out today and said the US economy is doing great and we have plenty of money to fund 2 wars.

I think she meant to say the US politicians in dc are doing great, fuck everyone else and war is the best way for US politicians to continue to do great.

Back
Top Bottom