What’s Cracking In The Garden

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

that honor belongs to Dr. Albert Hoffman

bicycle ride pov acid colors psychedelic painting 2

Eight years before Albert Hofmann first synthesized LSD in 1938, Harry J. Anslinger was appointed the founding commissioner of the U.S. Treasury’s Federal Bureau of Narcotics. While both men were of Swiss descent and their life’s work centered around public drug use, their paths couldn’t have been more divergent. And now for this year’s Bicycle Day, as the tides of drug policy are shifting quicker than ever, their stories are increasingly relevant.
While most consider the United States’ war on drugs to have started with the Nixon or Reagan administrations, author Johann Hari in his book Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs, urges our reconsideration of the country’s infamously failed attempt at drug prohibition to an earlier date.
Hari argues that based on racism, classism, and other prejudices, Anslinger was largely responsible for creating a zeitgeist of public misconception about nearly every drug, without regard to therapeutic applications or larger societal implications.
And though Anslinger’s tenure ended just before the criminalization of LSD, it was the foundation he set in place that widely villainized the chemical for decades.
But with the recent relaxation around psychedelic substances and the recognition of their potential as powerful healing modalities, Hofmann’s radical discovery may finally be realized for what he envisioned it could be.

The History of LSD

Albert Hofmann laid out his serendipitous discovery of LSD in the autobiographical account LSD: My Problem Child, prefacing his breakthrough with an ineffably spiritual and prophetic walk in the woods as a young boy:
“One enchantment of that kind, which I experienced in childhood, has remained remarkably vivid in my memory ever since…. As I strolled through the freshly greened woods filled with bird song and lit up by the morning sun, all at once everything appeared in an uncommonly clear light. Was this something I had simply failed to notice before? Was I suddenly discovering the spring forest as it actually looked? It shone with the most beautiful radiance, speaking to the heart, as though it wanted to encompass me in its majesty. I was filled with an indescribable sensation of joy, oneness, and blissful security.”
“I have no idea how long I stood there spellbound. But I recall the anxious concern I felt as the radiance slowly dissolved and I hiked on: how could a vision that was so real and convincing, so directly and deeply felt—how could it end so soon? It seemed strange that I, as a child, had seen something so marvelous, something that adults obviously did not perceive – for I had never heard them mention it,”
Hofmann wrote.

It’s hard to read Hofmann’s account and not feel an eerie, mystical sense of foreshadowing, as if the universe had given him an early glimpse into the profound sensation of his most famous discovery.
Many are familiar with the rumored story of Hofmann’s breakthrough, which claims he accidentally dosed himself with LSD before later taking an intentional dose as well as his famous bicycle ride home as the first person (in modernity) to experience the drug’s hallucinatory effect.
psychedelic bicycle ride

Hofmann named his compound LSD-25 because it was his 25th iteration isolating the drug from ergot fungus, one of three organic plant substances he was tasked with studying. Ergot fungus was known in times of antiquity as being poisonous in large doses, but certain synthetic variants were found to be effective treatments in obstetrics.
So, when LSD-25 only produced 70 percent of the expected hemostatic (blood coagulating) effects of similar ergot derivatives, it was shelved for its inferiority. Little did Hofmann, or his colleagues, know the potent psychedelic effects it held — at least not yet.
But something in Hofmann’s subconscious did know. Despite the fact that when a compound was shelved it was typically never tested again, Hofmann felt an uncanny desire to give it another look.

The solution of the ergotoxine problem had led to fruitful results, described here only briefly, and had opened up further avenues of research. And yet I could not forget the relatively uninteresting LSD-25. A peculiar presentiment—the feeling that this substance could possess properties other than those established in the first investigations—induced me, five years after the first synthesis, to produce LSD-25 once again so that a sample could be given to the pharmacological department for further tests,”
— Albert Hofmann
Hofmann convinced his superiors to let him test the compound one more time, despite what he described as a frugality in these types of situations at Sandoz, due to a lack of resources.
But this time, after he once again synthesized a tartrate solution of LSD-25, Hofmann suddenly reported “dizziness, feeling of anxiety, visual distortions, symptoms of paralysis, and a desire to laugh.” He realized that during the compound’s crystallization, he had accidentally absorbed a trace amount through his skin.
Hofmann rode his bicycle home, accompanied by his lab assistant, seeing the world through wavering, kaleidoscopic vision. But after just a few hours he found his trip starting to wear off, due to the relatively small dose he unknowingly took. So, he decided the only logical next step was to “self-experiment” again a few weeks later. This time with a larger dose.
Hofmann convinced his colleagues of the magnitude of his discovery and soon they were “self-experimenting.” And the rest, as they say, is history…
Psychedlics and Consciousness

Play Video

Sandoz patented and distributed LSD for psychotherapy under the pharmaceutical name Delsyid, even recommending psychiatrists take the substance themselves to better understand their patients’ headspace when it was administered to them.
According to documents published by Sandoz, “in minute doses” LSD had the ability to “produce changes in emotional behavior, hallucinations, depersonalization, and reliving of repressed memories.”

Hofmann and his colleagues believed it was a useful treatment for confronting and working through psychological trauma. But soon enough LSD’s potent psychoactive effects were noticed and subsequently weaponized by the CIA for the notorious Project MKUltra, which looked to employ the substance as a tool for mind control.

Conversely, LSD also became a tool used by the hippy generation of the 60s to spread love and peace, extolled by notable counter-culture leaders, including Timothy Leary, Ram Dass, and Ken Kesey.
But the US government quickly perceived the use of LSD and other psychedelics as a threat which debased social and political hierarchies that kept people divided by race, gender, and class in order to maintain power.
Instead, psychedelics gave people a sense of oneness and unity that was palpable in an era of war and division.
Hofmann even noticed this effect when he administered LSD to monkeys in clinical studies:
“A caged community of chimpanzees reacts very sensitively if a member of the tribe has received LSD. Even though no changes appear in this single animal, the whole cage gets in an uproar because the LSD chimpanzee no longer observes the laws of its finely coordinated hierarchic tribal order,” he wrote.
Needless to say, LSD and almost every other known psychedelic was criminalized in a sweeping piece of legislation known as the 1970’s Controlled Substances Act, despite 1000s of scientific publications throughout the ‘60s touting the substance’s psychotherapeutic benefits.
But now after decades of oppressive drug laws that have exacerbated the racism, classism and oppression first initiated by Anslinger in 1930, it seems we may be on the precipice of truly progressive drug reform surrounding psychedelics. Thanks to groups like MAPS, the Beckley Foundation, and clinical studies by researchers at esteemed institutions, significant headway is being made to dissolve the antiquated stigmas and throughly prove their therapeutic elements.
And now, with states voting to decriminalize or legalize psychedelics for medicinal use, we may be coming full circle in recognizing these substances' true potential.

For more on the therapeutic benefits of psychedelics check out the documentary Neurons to Nirvana:

28 degrees this morning and I am heading over to the homestead to survey the damage

the real bummer is it is going to be in the low 80’s in a few days?

wtf!

Last Harvest day...(save for what's moved indoors)

Dug up the big pepper bush and moved her inside.

Screenshot_20221017-192742.png

It's always something!
Screenshot_20221017-192800.png

The pepper plant just got prolific fruiting going recently...it's almost 5' tall Also moved in are the "snatch" peppers in the tub and the mother of clones red tomato plant from 2 years ago also got brought back inside. Such a prolific fruit bearer.

Screenshot_20221017-192830.png

Apparently the rough trip across the lawn and getting tied up to fit through the door didn't phase Mr Hopper.

Screenshot_20221017-192950.png

Screenshot_20221017-193027.png
Im very impressed with the overall yield this season from just 2 plants.

The red fruit bearer was a fraction the size of the other yellow cherry tomato plant when planted and outperformed it by miles....which was a clone from last year's grow. Now to just have the same fortune next year.

Screenshot_20221017-202822.png

Last edited:
Almost forgot I still have fresh tomatoes growing with my pepper "trees". In the pot the one plant is almost 6' tall.

Screenshot_20221022-150412.png

Screenshot_20221022-150245.png

Screenshot_20221022-150521.png

Was almost 80 today! 3 degrees off the all time high. Hard to believe it was mid 20's a few days(nights) ago

same here 32 , dry as popcorn farts red flag warnings…yesterday was a wind event , gusts to 60mph all frigging day

we chopped a plant yesterday and we will chop the last plant today cause I am not counting the Molokai Frost , it is an Hawaiian tropical plant and needs another 30 days to finish properly

i will attempt to cover it with sheets on these freezing nights and as an experiment I will push it as far as I can

meanwhile , we are planning to expand the veggie garden next year

E051057C-0DFD-4D9A-9F6D-E019D128D1D2.jpeg

the Maui wowie

8D323993-96F5-45CB-B823-801BF1ABFD94.jpeg

same here 32 , dry as popcorn farts red flag warnings…yesterday was a wind event , gusts to 60mph all frigging day

we chopped a plant yesterday and we will chop the last plant today cause I am not counting the Molokai Frost , it is an Hawaiian tropical plant and needs another 30 days to finish properly

i will attempt to cover it with sheets on these freezing nights and as an experiment I will push it as far as I can

meanwhile , we are planning to expand the veggie garden next year

View attachment 1533

the Maui wowie

View attachment 1532
Sativa dominant?

Sativa dominant?

for sure……my guess is that it needs 10 to 14 weeks to finish properly

maybe southern Oklahoma would be a better place to grow this strandivar

Moloka’i Frost (also known as Moloka’i Hashplant) is a potent sativa-dominant strain with a robust medicinal history.

In 1969, residents of the Lalaaupapa Moloka’i leper colony were allowed to leave and access modern medicine.

But a special medicine also left the Kalawao Valley (pronounced ka-la-wow), too.

This flower grows like a sativa, but exhibits extremely powerful indica-like effects, including heavy sedation, strong analgesic effects, and latent euphoria that complements this strain’s heavy body elements.

This rare resinous flower is a Hawaiian landrace worth seeking out.

for sure……my guess is that it needs 10 to 14 weeks to finish properly

maybe southern Oklahoma would be a better place to grow this strandivar

Moloka’i Frost (also known as Moloka’i Hashplant) is a potent sativa-dominant strain with a robust medicinal history.

In 1969, residents of the Lalaaupapa Moloka’i leper colony were allowed to leave and access modern medicine.

But a special medicine also left the Kalawao Valley (pronounced ka-la-wow), too.

This flower grows like a sativa, but exhibits extremely powerful indica-like effects, including heavy sedation, strong analgesic effects, and latent euphoria that complements this strain’s heavy body elements.

This rare resinous flower is a Hawaiian landrace worth seeking out.
Sounds perfect.

Possible you could construct a "green house" around it to stretch the season out?

sidenote: A former Hawaii resident from decades ago once told me that folks used to grow the ganja on platforms built up in the trees.

Sounds perfect.

Possible you could construct a "green house" around it to stretch the season out?

sidenote: A former Hawaii resident from decades ago once told me that folks used to grow the ganja on platforms built up in the trees.

we could but it is really to much bother for just one plant

my neighbor has a nice greenhouse , $45k , heated and everything , I may ask him if he would be interested in giving these a shot

she is a beautiful plant , very resinous , 8-10’ footer , nice floral fragrances

EA8F675C-A2F0-4791-BFF4-DA73385D8605.jpeg

A5613206-FA3A-4326-8412-DA9BDD8D2C42.jpeg

The make shift framework that spontaneously evolved after the tomato's(2 plants) rooted & went ballistic.

The stick @ top right is lashed to a branch on a redbud tree.

I don't know what I was thinking with the reefer shelf... :unsure:
Screenshot_20221024-115111_1.png

that is a wrap for 2022

Yep. A wrap here, too. The last of the plants froze out a couple nights ago. Pulled the cages from the tomatoes (or maybe that was the other way around) and stacked them aside. Pulled the hoses and sprinklers. Mowed down the remaining plants. I'll give it a few days to dry out, then till it in and maybe throw down some cover crop in the last spots.

Mystic's Garden News 10/29/22

Today my buddy is dropping off some winter wheat for me to sow.

My peach tree played a mind game with me....from inside it sure looked like a little peach manifested...though I was sure it wasn't, had to go out and check.

Screenshot_20221029-101813.png

The Tom's are still going pretty strong
Screenshot_20221029-105318.png

Back
Top Bottom