Fed will overshoot rate increases

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Maybe 1 one more by year end and then cut mid-2024?

I'm guessing the Fed has access to other (private sector) sources of information, but it would be interesting to see what data they acknowledge publicly in this scenario.

A looming government shutdown could prevent the Federal Reserve from raising rates in November, but not for the reason you might think, according to Bank of America.

The "Good Reason." The last several budget shutdowns showed, over 88 percent of the Fud-Gub continued marching along. Only parts the public counts on, such as antiSocial inSecurity payments, were interrupted. That, and of course, access to national parks - the parks spent EXTRA money to ENSURE no Deplorables trespass.

The Fed has the information. Powell is boxed. He wanted this post so bad, he fought to keep it under horrific circumstances - where he couldn't win; where the government monetizes deficits and then blames the Fed Chair for the inflation.

So he wanted to be the fall guy. Sux to be him; but he had a chance to leave town, and didn't.

The FED just follows what the bond market does. Sure they try to jawbone it where they want but that is ALL they can do.

I think they are going to accept a higher rate of inflation to offset government spending. If they raise rates too high the whole thing will implode whereas if they let inflation run a little it will only explode. Think about it?

So his comments predated Jamie Dimon's bomb. Markets are currently looking like folks are now expecting another hike.

That they weren't all along, is testament to how short sighted they are.

They did not want rates to go this high. Unless they are trying to trigger the crisis. But now it's out of their control and up to ALL those bond holders who are now losing mega $$$$ and will panic sell.

Taking liquidity out of the system except government spending is still a problem.

Here is their letter:

First of all - Yellen isn't in control of this issue. Second, her comment could just be political "book talking" bs to keep markets calm. I'm not sure we should be taking her comment as literal truth for an indisputable future monetary policy axiom. That said, it's some interesting speculation:

More (analysis, charts and commentary):

"Her statement implies that the economy will be strong and the government will run budget surpluses, or interest rates will be near zero for the next ten years."

Janet Yellen will be in for a rude awakening if she truly thinks that.

"Her statement implies that the economy will be strong and the government will run budget surpluses, or interest rates will be near zero for the next ten years."

Janet Yellen will be in for a rude awakening if she truly thinks that.
She'll be long dead.

Long term, to these Ruling Class fossils, means something different than it does to middle-aged Middle America.

The Fed minutes can be found here:

Chances of another rate hike just went up.

Fed's Harker says rate hikes likely over amid ongoing disinflation​

NEW YORK (Reuters) -Philadelphia Federal Reserve President Patrick Harker said on Friday he believes the U.S. central bank is likely done with its cycle of interest rate hikes amid an ongoing waning in price pressures.

"Absent a stark turn in what I see in the data and hear from contacts ... I believe that we are at the point where we can hold rates where they are," Harker said in a virtual speech to the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce.

"It will take some time for the full impact of the higher rates to be felt," he said, adding that "holding rates steady will let monetary policy do its work," and as monetary policy is now restrictive, "we will steadily press down on inflation and bring markets into a better balance."

More:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ly-over-amid-ongoing-disinflation/ar-AA1iavyQ

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see if he speaks for the majority of FOMC voters or not. I suspect he will be in the minority given the last batch of economic data showing the economy/inflation is still hotter than what they want.

Contrarian view:

I expect Powell to tighten again (raise rates again). I'm not sure what's driving Mr. Muir's conviction, but if he is right, gold should get some more upward momentum.

Jamie seems to have a burr in his saddle:

A fun read from the BIS;

Here's the Fed's FOMC (non-)statement:

Will the current Fed be swayed by Dudley's public pressure? Did the Fed ask Dudley to put this in the public domain to shore up market support/anticipation for the idea of higher rates?

Markets:

• Fed Chair Jerome Powell said he and his colleagues remain steadfast in getting policy in line with their 2% inflation goal, but “we are not confident that we have achieved such a stance.”
  • He stressed the Fed nevertheless can be cautious as the risks between doing too much and too little have come into closer balance.

More:

If raising rates is no longer disinflationary, the Fed might look to accelerate QT instead. That will be painful.

"Companies issued long-term bonds on similar terms."

Meanwhile, our gov loaded up on short term debt. Lol

Not too long ago I'd read that the average maturity on half of the US debt was about two and a half years, and more than half of that comes due within the next 12 Months.

So in less than three years, the gov will be issuing $16T in debt plus whatever deficit spending it does? Who/what is gonna buy all that debt, and over such a short time frame?

No one, well not nearly enough. That's why what the FED wants is irrelevant. Rates are gonna go sky high.
"All" they gotta do is require all retirement accounts to be invested by a certain % in gov debt. Ie: run it like Enron. Lol

There is almost $38T in retirement accts. You know the gov has it's eyes on that.

Stay the course. A thousand points of light.

LONDON, Nov 29 (Reuters) - With a rosy picture of stock and bond gains next year now the running consensus, forecasters are managing an impressive leap of faith over three main assumptions - soft economic landings, hefty interest rate cuts and above-target inflation.

Too good to be true?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…