Health & Wellness - Physical Fitness - Weightlifting

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

For the past six weeks, I have been spending one hour a day on a treadmill walking at a fast pace (3 mph).

Many years ago, I got a good deal on a huge gym-quality treadmill. Sadly, it languished for years acting only as a pretty decent clothes hangar. I finally decided to put it to use and purchased a small flat screen television, an inexpensive DVR, and a wall-mounted bracket for the TV. I hung the television at eye level in front of the treadmill and now spend an hour a day walking fast and watching action and adventure movies on DVR. I go three miles each day - sometimes a little over if the movie runs long. It takes me two days to watch the average movie.

As I said, I am six weeks into it and, while I do not think I've lost any weight, I really didn't have that much to lose. However, I have begun to notice my core tightening up and my wife has commented that I look "trimmer". Hoping to continue with this daily activity into the summer.
One hour huh? Impressed. Been doing 30 minutes at 3.2 MPH 1.5 incline on a Nordic Trac I got 15 years ago. Another 20 minutes on a Yosuda upright bike I got last year. Gets harder at my age. I used to run way back when the jogging craze hit 50 years ago no problem doing 5 miles every day. Sucks getting old man. I really should try to incorporate some light weights into the routine can't seem to get motivated to do it though I used to lift when I was young.

One hour huh? Impressed. Been doing 30 minutes at 3.2 MPH 1.5 incline on a Nordic Trac I got 15 years ago. Another 20 minutes on a Yosuda upright bike I got last year. Gets harder at my age. I used to run way back when the jogging craze hit 50 years ago no problem doing 5 miles every day. Sucks getting old man. I really should try to incorporate some light weights into the routine can't seem to get motivated to do it though I used to lift when I was young.

Forty five years and fifty pounds ago, I used to run as well. Used to do 16 miles nearly every day after school. It was 8 miles to the Kingston dam in Latrobe and I would run to the dam, cross over to the other side, and do the 8 miles home. Ran every marathon within 30 or 40 miles of home and would do all the 10k's I could find as well. Didn't have an ounce of fat on me. Of course, I was 17 or 18 at the time and really didn't have many other responsibilities. Still ran a bit in college, but not like I did in high school. First real job out of college killed running for me. Naval shipyard, mandatory overtime, working dark to dark. The idea of strapping on running shoes after working all day lost its luster. Now I'm just a fat, old guy walking on a treadmill trying to slow the inevitable.

Hey! They can't bury me if I'm still moving. :ROFLMAO:

Edited to add: Just received a new walking belt for my treadmill. It is a little over twenty years old and I'm getting fine black crumbs behind it from the belt. I think it is dry rotting from age. Got the new belt from Treadmill Doctor. $125. Next rainy day, I'll take the machine apart and install it.

Hey @CiscoKid & @Lancers32 - thanks for sharing.

Not a body builder - into functional fitness. Usually exercise 6 days per week. Today I did an early morning routine that consisted of isometrics & light calisthenics. Iso = mostly upper body with a couple for legs. Calisthenics = legs & abs with emphasis on maintaining balance.

Around 9 I cut the grass w/ light ankle weights. Took about an hour, shed the weights, rested for 10 -15 minutes then took a 2-mile walk in the neighborhood.

Tomorrow is gym day. Bike, treadmill & weights (nothing crazy - just a quick routine.) And if I feel like it, a few laps in the pool. And maybe on the way home I'll stop off for a brew or two.

Non gym days - usually the iso / calisthenic routine like today. Sometimes I'll also use cables (chest expander) with a concentration on deep breathing. And I like to walk at least 3 days per week.

Like to eat healthy but life's too short not to indulge once in a while.

That's about it for my routines.

^^^^^ For anyone interested in isometrics this is pretty good. Use your imagination and you can come up with all sorts of positions for any body part.

A Guide to Isometric Training for Awesome Power​

16:55

Overcoming isometrics are exercises that involve pulling or pushing against an 'immovable force'. This might mean trying to curl a dumbbell that is chained to the ground, or push down a wall. This form of training can help us to tap into 'dormant' strength by improving our muscle fibre recruitment and removing our central nervous system's 'training wheels'. The result is that we can call upon much more power, much more quickly and effectively. This is a form of training used by Bruce Lee, and by Dennis Rogers - who some believe to be the strongest man alive pound for pound.

I discussed this form of training and its benefits before on the channel, but I thought I'd revisit the subject now I have more viewers and also so that I could go into more depth regarding the best strategies. I touch upon some new concepts such as 'ballistic isometrics' and the ideal time under tension. In future, I may discuss how to use yielding isometrics for mass gains too.

Enjoy!

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TheBioneer/videos

Edit to add: This link should help anyone interested in isometrics develop a routine.

Last edited:

The Filming of Pumping Iron - Ken Sprague Interview​

Jul 15, 2023

20:28

In this 6th interview with Ken Sprague, Ken talks about the Filming of Pumping Iron at Gold's Gym during the 1970s and Building the Gold's Gym Brand. Enjoy.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GoldenEraBookworm/videos

*Click off at the 17:50 mark unless you're into commercials.

This one's a bit different. Gotta be super fit to do this.

This 15-year-old swam 28.5 miles around the island of Manhattan: 'I didn't know that I was breaking records'​

For most 15-year-olds, summer break is a time to hang out and relax before the new school year starts.

And while Maya Merhige enjoys hanging out with her friends as much as the next teen, she also had a bigger goal: completing a long-distance swim around New York City.

On July 15, Merhige successfully swam around the entire island of Manhattan in eight hours and 43 minutes. She's only the third person her age to complete the "20 Bridges Swim," named for the bridges that swimmers pass under during their journey.

For the Berkeley Calif. native, the 28.5-mile swim was worth more than bragging rights. Since 2020, she has swam in partnership with Swim Across America, a nonprofit that hosts charity swims and donates the funds to cancer research. So far, she has raised over $17,000 this year.

More:

Unfortunately she will probably wind up with cancer from that swim.

That record will stand only until some guy puts on a girls swimsuit and destroys it. I'm betting that there won't be a sports record left belonging to a biological female in 5 years.

Thanks, leftists. You've managed to destroy women's sports.

That record will stand only until some guy puts on a girls swimsuit and destroys it

That nonsense shouldn't be allowed and should have never happened. Not going to go off on a tangent but there is something seriously wrong with this madness. Girls / women's sports are just that. Boys / men's sports are just that. There aren't any change overs allowed. Or at least there shouldn't be.

That nonsense shouldn't be allowed and should have never happened. Not going to go off on a tangent but there is something seriously wrong with this madness. Girls / women's sports are just that. Boys / men's sports are just that. There aren't any change overs allowed. Or at least there shouldn't be.

That attitude of yours isn't very "woke". Aren't you afraid of being "canceled"? :ROFLMAO:

A bit off topic but relevant.

Bodybuilder Justyn Vicky dead at 33 after 400-pound weight breaks neck​

Justyn Vicky, a bodybuilder in Bali, has died in a weightlifting accident.

He was 33 years old.

Vicky was working out at The Paradise Gym on Saturday, when he was squatting weights in excess of 180 kilograms (nearly 400 pounds), with a spotter behind him.

“Vicky failed to complete the lift and fell forward, cascading the weight bar off his shoulders and snapping his neck and head forward,” Bali Discovery reported.

More:

Boxing Legend Oscar De La Hoya Shows Off His Gym & Fridge | Gym & Fridge | Men's Health​

Jul 24, 2023

8:12

Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya takes us through the contents of his fully stocked fridge, shares what his current diet looks like and reveals how his outlook on nutrition has changed since his boxing career. Plus, the 10-time world champion gives us a look into his current workout routine to stay fit at 50. Watch more Men's Health Gym and Fridge videos HERE: • Mark Wahlberg Sho...

Gym & Fridge: • Mark Wahlberg Sho... Train Like a Celebrity: • Kumail Nanjiani S... Eat Like a Celebrity: • Everything Action... Men'$ Wealth: • Dwyane Wade on th... Don't Read The Comments: • Mark Wahlberg Doe...

We Went to the Western States 100! Here's What We Saw!​

Jul 31, 2023

2:29

The Western States 100 Endurance Run is an epic 100.2-mile ultramarathon that takes place on California's Sierra Nevada Mountain's trails every year.
The race starts at the base of the Palisades Tahoe ski resort in Olympic Valley and finishes at the Placer High School track in Auburn, California.
Follow along with Coach Morgan as she brings you the highlights from the day!

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TheRunExperience/videos

Really nothing to see. Can listen in one tab, play around on the forum in a different tab.

Bring back Physical Education Training (Science Backed Info) Not Just My Opinion + LIVE QA​

1:01:02

Bring back physical education and training in schools. New Meta-Analyysis proves what many of us have been thinking / saying for decades:

https://link.springer.com/article/10....

Throughout time, the discussion of the younger generation not being capable of taking on the challenges of adulthood has been taken place by the older generations. When I was going through SEAL training, the Vietnam Veteran SEAL instructors called our class the MTV generation – having grown up in the 80s and had access to increasingly more TV channels to tune into than earlier generations. Therefore, the article's tone is based on the science behind this decade-old opinion and the audience of parents, teachers, and school administrators.

This is not just the opinion of a grumpy old fitness writer who grew up with PE Classes throughout every grade of school, but a thorough meta-analysis of scientific studies on children and adolescents who needed more physical activity in their day. The question is how dangerous a higher percentage of unphysically fit youth is for our youth and our National Defense. To have generations of military-aged men and women unable to join due to obesity, failure to meet the height/weight/body fat standards, and not being physically able enough to pass any of the entry-level fitness tests. There have been suggestions at one end of the spectrum to get rid of physical fitness standards for not just the military but for police and fire services as well.

Robinson, K., Riley, N., Owen, K. et al. Effects of Resistance Training on Academic Outcomes in School-Aged Youth: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Med (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-023-01...

Hormones and Body Fat​

Aug 8, 2023

27:27

Edit to add: Nothing to see in this one. Can listen in one tab, play around on the forum in a different tab.

Last edited:

MUSCLE BEACH IN THE 50'S and Steve Reeves (more good stuff)​

Apr 11, 2016

14:13

More about the bodybuilding lifestyle in the 50's at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica CA. Was a lifestyle that could never be duplicated or repeated later in life. It was the dream of a bodybuilder.

Show me some evidence bulky guys actually live longer.

No evidence, in fact a lot of bodybuilders have been dying young as of late. Reasons vary but a lot of the deaths have been attributed to steroids.

Me.........into functional fitness with an emphasis on cardio. Second comes strength & flexibility.

This one is a bit different. Just something to relax with.

10 Min | Beginner Belly Dance Workout | Slow & Smooth Tutorial​

In this 33 minute vid Jerry B talks about pre-workout supps. Good stuff to stay away from (imo.) Nothing to see, can listen in one window, play around on the forum in a different window.

Pre-Workout Supplements: the Need for Speed​

CHUCK MAHONEY Bodybuilder One of the Original Muscle Beach Guys 1955​

Feb 15, 2018

31:48

Chuck has many stories about the old days at Muscle beach from the 1950's to present and was best friends with Joe Gold, Arnold and many more. He even tried his hand at Pro Wrestling but knew all the characters from the gym and beach back then. Stories that will go on forever

"Nothing can stop me": Arnold Schwarzenegger is back at the gym working out, following his recent surgery​

Recently Arnold Schwarzenegger had to undergo elbow surgery owing to underlying nerve-related complications. He had to resort to wearing a protective cast for some time.

Only a few days after his first public appearance wearing the cast, Schwarzenegger is back to doing what he is best known for. In a clip posted on Instagram, the professional bodybuilder and actor can be seen working his arms while wearing protective gear around his elbow injury.

JERRY BRAINUM THE DIFFERENCE IN OLD SCHOOL WORKOUTS​

Jan 21, 2020

26:09

Senior and looking for a place to start................

Michael Strahan Shows Off His Gym & Fridge | Gym & Fridge | Men's Health​

Oct 6, 2023

9:55

Superbowl champ and TV host Michael Strahan takes us through the contents of his fully stocked fridge, shares what his current diet looks like and reveals how his outlook on nutrition has changed since leaving the NFL. Plus, Strahan gives us a look into his current mobility and workout routine to stay fit.
Watch more Men's Health Gym and Fridge videos HERE: • Mark Wahlberg Shows His Home Gym & Fr...

Golden Era Diet of Hi Protein Lo Carb​

9:06

Back
Top Bottom